the completely unofficial "Fran lost this game" thread

So playing some of the worst D1 teams helped Iowa's RPI...and forced them to have to win tonight...you can't take any conference game for granted. If Fran didn't think they were going to be that great why play teams that don't help you get better and don't prepare you for conference play?

He wanted them to learn to win, he's said that several times before.

Why do you assume they would win tougher games at the beginning of the season when they lost those tougher games throughout the B10 season? We wouldn't be getting in with 18 wins even if we had a much better OOC SOS.

I didn't say they would but apparently Fran thought they would be not very good...Iowa proved they can't beat good teams so maybe building confidence is all they needed.

I didn't say they would but apparently Fran thought they would be not very good...Iowa proved they can't beat good teams so maybe building confidence is all they needed.

Look, if Fran thought they weren't going to be very good at the beginning of the season, he was right. We weren't very good at the beginning of the season.

If we scheduled tougher, I think we would have more losses and would not be anywhere near the bubble. The team wasn't good in December.

But you think playing slightly better but still pretty bad teams would have?

Slightly better...no Iowa needs to get one more Top 25 worthy opponent on its schedule every year and it becomes a home and home series fine. A team that is going to be a real measuring stick before conference play. Someone not named ISU...
Don't schedule teams that the walk-ons can beat...it is embarrassing.

Iowa wasn't a bad team at the start just a bad starting lineup...maybe it would change sooner with better scheduling.

Some people don't seem to realize how much we've improved over the course of the year haha

Iowa improves under Fran during the year every year that is proven. Each season they have improved with huge strides...this year is no different when the roster is complete they will be very good out of the gate.

Slightly better...no Iowa needs to get one more Top 25 worthy opponent on its schedule every year and it becomes a home and home series fine. A team that is going to be a real measuring stick before conference play. Someone not named ISU...
Don't schedule teams that the walk-ons can beat...it is embarrassing.

Iowa wasn't a bad team at the start just a bad starting lineup...maybe it would change sooner with better scheduling.

We played WSU and Va Tech and didn't measure up to either one of those teams, we were nowhere near close to being able to beat a top 25 team at that point, we very much were by the end of the year

Iowa improves under Fran during the year every year that is proven. Each season they have improved with huge strides...this year is no different when the roster is complete they will be very good out of the gate.

Agreed, these first three years have been gravy for Fran. This program was terrible when he took it over. It's remarkable what he has done, the rebuilding is complete. Next year and every year after is about making the NCAA's.

Agreed, these first three years have been gravy for Fran. This program was terrible when he took it over. It's remarkable what he has done, the rebuilding is complete. Next year and every year after is about making the NCAA's.

He has built the program from the ground up and has the base for NCAA tourney runs and expectations from here out like it used to be at Iowa. He will develop kids like Ingram and we will be saying where was that kid two years ago. I have liked his plan from day one. Relying on transfers long term has proven not to work...not saying not to get any at all but being picky about who you get and how they fit is more important.

He has built the program from the ground up and has the base for NCAA tourney runs and expectations from here out like it used to be at Iowa. He will develop kids like Ingram and we will be saying where was that kid two years ago. I have liked his plan from day one. Relying on transfers long term has proven not to work...not saying not to get any at all but being picky about who you get and how they fit is more important.

You might even say we are back? Next year is going to be fun

I am sick of hearing that Iowa needed a harder ooc. Just a year ago this team lost to Campbell. The team needed it and they had their chances to make it to the dance with b1g play. They had plenty of chances that didn't come through. Next year will be different but the great thing is this team still has an opportunity to play more games in march. May not be where everyone wanted, but I still love this team and I have no problem with what Fran is doing.

i think i get the no woodygabe at the end

it looks like woody's conditioning still isn't there; yes, its been a season. he's still short of strength and stamina and that's simply due to his age.

gabe had done a couple of nervousgabe things before coming out -- he's still getting the experience.

with the game on the line, looks like fran wanted the smaller but more experienced basabe and mccabe down low. both can hit a jump shot and mccabe can hit 3s. the gamble was experience and more offense over two developing players who had played well defensively but may have been hitting their own in-game wall.

this team was in the game because of perfect execution on offense and some luck. there is no kid in a hawk uni who can create his own shot and take control of the last 5 min of a game against a team like msu.

talent and luck caught up. hawks lose.

next year woody and gabe will both see minutes go up -- we'll see an enforcer in the paint at the close of every game. we'll also have two shooters, and clemmons won't be a nervous frosh at the end of game.

If someone wants to complain about our ooc schedule because Fran didn't play the "rpi game" I can understand that. But saying we needed more tough competition to give us a better chance to get in the dance is crazy. We scheduled 4 loseable games and lost 2 of them. Then we almost lost another game that was a sure win.

If isu, uni, Wichita st, va tech, and garner Webb couldn't make us ready for big 10 play, then how was 2 more top 25 teams going to do the trick? By that logic we would have been ready for big 10 play after the Michigan game.

Truth is our ooc schedule quit being an excuse about halfway through January. This team had a year long identity that was losing close games. The only thing scheduling 2 more top 25 teams would have done was allowed us to see it 2 more times.

i think i get the no woodygabe at the end

it looks like woody's conditioning still isn't there; yes, its been a season. he's still short of strength and stamina and that's simply due to his age.

gabe had done a couple of nervousgabe things before coming out -- he's still getting the experience.

with the game on the line, looks like fran wanted the smaller but more experienced basabe and mccabe down low. both can hit a jump shot and mccabe can hit 3s. the gamble was experience and more offense over two developing players who had played well defensively but may have been hitting their own in-game wall.

this team was in the game because of perfect execution on offense and some luck. there is no kid in a hawk uni who can create his own shot and take control of the last 5 min of a game against a team like msu.

talent and luck caught up. hawks lose.

next year woody and gabe will both see minutes go up -- we'll see an enforcer in the paint at the close of every game. we'll also have two shooters, and clemmons won't be a nervous frosh at the end of game.

Do you really think there is an 18 year old alive that would be to tired to play any of the last 15 minutes?

Latest posts