the completely unofficial "Fran lost this game" thread

I'm a big fan of Clemmons and think he will end up being a very good player, but he made a lot of errors yesterday that contributed to the loss. His wild pass to a wide open White late in the second half comes to mind. He also gets going way too fast which ends up in a turnover or a charge half the time.

Fran can only do so much...the player have to get it done. Blaming Fran for losing this game is straight up horse@&"!

It's not like he stuck the walk ons in at the end of the game. I don't coach basketball but I can even see why he chooses that line up. It didn't pan out, we got some bad no calls and bad calls, at the end of the day the players did not execute and lost control. 19 turnovers? Lucky they didn't lose by more then 3.

Basabe was playing very well with a true Center in the game and then pretty much disappeared because he could not defend two guys as 15 is one of the worst defenders in college basketball and can't contest a shot. The defensive issues that are created when 15 is playing the Center spot far outweigh any value he could potentially provide on the offensive end when he has been offensive this season.

Yeah I am upset about yesterday, but that was just a microcosm of the season this year, guys that have been expected to raise Iowa to the next level and close out games haven't.

Fran has forgotten more about coaching basketball than anyone on this board will ever know. I honestly did not read any of the posts so I'm not calling anyone out with this post...just giving my opinion. Keep in mind this team doesn't have the current talent, the bright future or 21 wins without Fran. Even if Fran were an average coach he's getting Big Ten talent on Iowa's roster. That's 80% of the battle IMO. The best game coach in the world can't win without talent...and this is fact not opinion.

Fran has forgotten more about coaching basketball than anyone on this board will ever know. I honestly did not read any of the posts so I'm not calling anyone out with this post...just giving my opinion. Keep in mind this team doesn't have the current talent, the bright future or 21 wins without Fran. Even if Fran were an average coach he's getting Big Ten talent on Iowa's roster. That's 80% of the battle IMO. The best game coach in the world can't win without talent...and this is fact not opinion.

Well said. I think Fran should start coaching games from his couch, watching the game on his TV. That seems to make coaching a lot easier for everyone on a fan forum.

Basabe was playing very well with a true Center in the game and then pretty much disappeared because he could not defend two guys as 15 is one of the worst defenders in college basketball and can't contest a shot. The defensive issues that are created when 15 is playing the Center spot far outweigh any value he could potentially provide on the offensive end when he has been offensive this season.

Yeah I am upset about yesterday, but that was just a microcosm of the season this year, guys that have been expected to raise Iowa to the next level and close out games haven't.
+1 I honestly don't get it. He's not providing much in the way of offense either this year and like you said he is a net negative.

+1 I honestly don't get it. He's not providing much in the way of offense either this year and like you said he is a net negative.

I hate to say this as well, but I must, when 15 is on the floor he is on your TV more than any other player, but moreso when the other team has the ball. I know I am beating a dead horse there and will stop there.

One of you jackwagons that know more about it than Fran just need to call his call-in show this week and ask him why he chose to sit Gabe and Adam at the end. Maybe he'll say, "you know what? I blew it there."
Then you will all be proven to be right.

Doesn't the AD schedule for the team, not the coach?

Aren't the schedules put together a couple of years in advance?

Doesn't the AD schedule for the team, not the coach?

Aren't the schedules put together a couple of years in advance?

At least 8 or 9 months. And they are suppose to know which teams will be ranked between 150-200 in RPI the next year and schedule them instead of scheduling teams that will be ranked 250 and over.

Easy enough, right?

Isso owns Franny.

Especially Fran's first year when we slaughtered the Spartans at Carver by 20 points. After one of the Spartans, hanging his head in disgrace said: I can't believe we lost to Iowa.....

We came close to beating them twice this year. He doesn't own Fran at all.....

At least 8 or 9 months. And they are suppose to know which teams will be ranked between 150-200 in RPI the next year and schedule them instead of scheduling teams that will be ranked 250 and over.

Easy enough, right?

Easy enough that BHGP and a different message board I post on to know the schedule had a significant chance at keeping Iowa out. It isn't like those teams were surprise garbage teams, everyone knew they would end up where they did.

Need the players to stay patient during the tense closing minutes. Need leaders on the floor that exhibits calm and not panic. We lose too often at the close of the game.

I hate to say this as well, but I must, when 15 is on the floor he is on your TV more than any other player, but moreso when the other team has the ball. I know I am beating a dead horse there and will stop there.

+1000. His defense is very very poor. He does not move his feet well at all, cant close on shooters and cant jump. A major liability on D, which is why he has seen his minutes diminish this year and lost his starting spot. He will lose more mins next year too if he doesnt dramatically improve (which is unlikely) on the defensive end. That and cut down on fouls. He had to average 5 mins or less in first halves year because of constant foul trouble. It would interesting to know his +/- stats for the season.

Need the players to stay patient during the tense closing minutes. Need leaders on the floor that exhibits calm and not panic. We lose too often at the close of the game.

This comes with experience. I think May always seemed pretty calm at the end of games. That's 1 of the reasons he was usually on the floor late. Fran trusted him. This is most likely also why Gabe and Adam weren't in there at the end pretty much all season and again last night...inexperience and not ball handlers at all.

No, they had a $h!+ load of turnovers on offense actually and were still in the lead.

They were leading the game for 30 minutes because of defense and having a real big in there to clog the lane and counter MSUs huge front line was essential.

right

when I wrote that I was thinking about the off-ball movement and spacing -- which were great in the first half. sparty started the serious off-ball mugging in the 2nd half and took the hawks out of their offense.

was gabe/woody in when appling had that dunk? I don't remember.

Latest posts