The B1G Ten needs to suspend the PSU football program

Banned for what? We are not talking about NCAA rules that determine the banning of football programs from bowl games. We are talking about criminal activity handled by the judical system of the State of Pennsylvania and or the United States who are far more powerful institutions than the NCAA and who have the means to issue far more severe forms of punishment to the guilty individuals.

Let's give it due process and see where it all ends up.

Too often people make false assumptions, get ahold of bad information or think they know all the facts and then makes a judgment. Allow the judicial system to take its course and we'll see who is ultimately guilty and who isn't followed by sentences given to the guilty by state and or federal judges.

BS..why should the players be punished for someone else's failures?

You have GOT to be kidding me right?? Suspend the program and punish the players and fans that have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this. That makes sense.

I am not saying I think they should be banned, but since when does it matter if innocent people get punished? Who got punished for Lame Kitten and his never ending train of violations at Tennessee? I'll give you a hint, not anyone who was responsible for it. Did all the innocents deserve to get hammered when they gave SMU the death penalty? Lame Kitten is now being punished for Pete Carrol and some players who are no longer there. Is that fair? Collateral damage happens. Welcome to reality.

The mentality of some folks on this board is similar to the mentality of nuking an entire country killing everyone for the crimes of a few leaders.

Folks, please maintain some perspective here. You go after the guilty ones, not the entire Penn State community.

Absolutely right.

The NCAA's realm, when it comes to enforcement, resides pretty much with issues of fair play and the protection of 'amateur status' for student-athletes.

Even if the NCAA wanted to go after PSU for lack of institutional control or failure to monitor, I think those are still with regards to issues of competition.

If you punish the Penn State football team for this, you are implicating them in the crime. I for one, am not prepared to punish this current group of athletes for the actions of a few going back to when the current players were in grade school.

This isn't a NCAA matter, this is a criminal matter. I know everyone is disgusted, and they want an immediate and harsh reaction, but that isn't how things work. Let those who broke the law pay for their crimes, instead of punishing innocent men in order to satisfy your immediate need for reprisal.

I heard the NCAA released a pack of rabid wolves on the PSU campus as their punishment. Marshall Law was announced and its everybody for themselves.

Last edited:
If I were responding yesterday, I would have said that's too far, they don't deserve to be kicked out of the Big 10. BUT IF these "pimping out kids" accusations are true and there were PSU donors involved, then I lean towards giving them the boot. Then there is the "forced retirement" of Sandusky which some think was a deal between PSU and Sandusky for a cover-up. As each bit of information comes out, the more sickened I get. Maybe it's just my anger and disgust talking right now, but I don't want the Big 10 to have anything to do with Penn State University.

Not to mention that if you cancel the rest of the football season you are in essence punishing dozens of other men's and women's athletic teams on campus that rely on the football program for funding but had nothing to do with any of this.

Not to mention that if you cancel the rest of the football season you are in essence punishing dozens of other men's and women's athletic teams on campus that rely on the football program for funding but had nothing to do with any of this.

To be clear, I don't think the rest of the football season should be cancelled right now, but if the path this story is on continues to get as dark as some of the rumors are saying it's going to get, then the Big 10 needs to look at whether or not they want this institution associated with them.
I believe all sports will suffer for this no matter what happens. Would you send your kid to Penn State right now? I wouldn't. Too many other options with less scum around.

Banned for what? We are not talking about NCAA rules that determine the banning of football programs from bowl games. We are talking about criminal activity handled by the judical system of the State of Pennsylvania and or the United States who are far more powerful institutions than the NCAA and who have the means to issue far more severe forms of punishment to the guilty individuals.

Let's give it due process and see where it all ends up.

Too often people make false assumptions, get ahold of bad information or think they know all the facts and then makes a judgment. Allow the judicial system to take its course and we'll see who is ultimately guilty and who isn't followed by sentences given to the guilty by state and or federal judges.

Agreed.

The PSU ship as a whole doesn't need to be sunk, just the select "found guilty" members of it's crew....

If there ever was a case of "Lack of institutional control" the Penn State scandal is it. I understand that the NCAA does not have a lot of say in this matter, but the B1G Ten certainly could and should suspend them from conference play. I think a two year suspension should be levied.

I know many will say that this penalizes the current players who had nothing to do with this, but this has happened to other players at OSU, USC, etc of other schools that have faced suspensions in which they had nothing to do with. All players should be allowed to transfer without penalty.

I understand football is a huge thing to many of us and our cultures, but there are bigger and more important things in life and protecting our children is one of them. There also may have been federal crimes committed with covering up a felony along with committing crimes in other states on the road.

I think the following is just too much to comprehend:

According to Deadspin.com, As Recently As 2009, Jerry Sandusky Was Running An Overnight Football Camp For Kids On Penn State Campuses

So even after the 1998 incident and his confession, then the 2002 rape in the football complex showers, this monster is allowed to run a University sponsored football camp for 4-9 year olds?

The B1G Ten needs to step up and do what needs to be done.

DC was and is right, folks. Defending the football program now is akin to those kids rioting over the firing of Paterno.

I should have stipulated that once "due process" has occurred and all the facts have come out then the B1G should do something.

Most NCAA penalties affect a group of athletes who were not there at the time or had anything to do with the specific infraction(s). Regardless, the program is still penalized.

These heinous acts are just too much and go way beyond football and being able to tailgate on Saturday afternoon. There is already sworn testimony that shows "lack of institutional control" which is the standard for the death penalty of a program.

The direction of this scandal is heading makes it very similar the Franklin Cover Up of the late '80s in Omaha, Nb. Which also had ties to the Johnny Gosch case. It is terrible irony that the game on Saturday is Penn St vs Nebraska.

If you are not familiar with on the later, do some research and educate yourself on the Franklin case. Conspiracy of Silence

I agree that PSU needs to go from the B10 after due process. Even this punishment won't come close to fitting the crime committed. Employers are always responsible for employee actions when performed within the scope of their employment. Don't think this wont happen either. This scandal could bring down the entire university as we know it. Federal funding should be lost, enrollment will collapse, and the football program death penalty or not will never recovery. Could you imagine being a parent of a high school athlete recruited by PSU? No chance in he'll I'm sending my kid there.

The commissioner will not, and has said he will not, take any action until the Board of Trustees and the legal system has run its course. After this has taken place nothing would surprise me to what the Big Ten will do. Banning them from conference play, taking away their TV revenues, or even removing Penn State is all in the realm of possibility.

First. This is not a lack of institutional control because it does not violate NCAA rules which are more regarding recruiting/grades/impermissable benefts things of that nature. This is not about Penn State gaining an advantage on the football field through violation of NCAA rules. No student athletes were involved in this. This is about the failure to report criminal activity of someone who was not employed by the university,which will be handled through the legal system. But this may make the NCAA consider changing its rules to address criminal activity of a program even if it is not football related.

Latest posts