The Alford Stuff

googled up "craig neal ncaa violations" and came up empty, care to fill me in because I'd like to know why the brains behind new mexico is still settling for scraps off of the 'frauds plate.

He colors outside the lines and it ain't exactly a national secret either.

Last edited:
So Dan Dakich and SA are in bed together because they are Indiana guys and want the UOFI to take the blame for what happened at Iowa under SA watch, which is fine considering the sources. But just remember who it was that was walking out of the back door at Iowa while his friend Dakich was having a helping hand in negotiating a contract for SA at NM. That is all anyone really needs to know about thme two and the type of people they are. Some people are not cut out for hard work and actually having to be on the job to ake a difference. SA was never Iowan enough to make it work to be honest, he is just like a politician that can't be trused with nothing. Thank God Fran had the balls to take the Iowa job and see the big picture, I hope he is around another 15 years!

Jon kept telling us the past several years that nobody cares about Alford anymore.

So he starts an Alford thread that gets over 10,000 views and close to 200 replies.

It's not shocking that Alford would talk out the side of his neck. He did it at Iowa. It's funny because I have seen the same thing's from Alford that we saw in Iowa City. It's only a matter of time before you see some "shocking" news come out of New Mexico.

Someone should pick up Craig Neal, because he is the one that got the lobos where they are.

I wonder what % of Alford's check goes into Neal's account to keep him happy and not looking.

Craig Neal is the highest paid assistant coach in the country. There is a reason for that...

Good thread, thanks for posting. Evokes the memories of why I stopped following iowa and college bball for many years. Style of play is another buzz kill, that started awhile back. Fran has the right style, demeaner, and coaching up persona....as mentioned earlier, his recruiting of some game changers is still an open book that is looking like it wil be fulfilled.
I liked the decision at the time to move on from Mr. Davis, he was good but had reached his plateau. Alford tried to overcome his shortcomings with his preseason nit wins and win over a hot #1 UCONN (example of the rise and fall of programs...where are they now?). Lick sealed the deal...

...sometimes to get to the top you need to take chances. Iowa did. They failed twice, but continued the quest, and yet, NOW the saying of "we're back" may hold merit. Time will tell, but I think we see some ncaa appearances over next several years, a cleanly run program, and certainly a fun style to watch and hold hope onto. I've at least returned to being a fan of Hawkeye Hoops!

While Alf and BK exhibited their flawed behavior(s) in different ways, IMO, their true common bond, which was the "root of their evil" was E-G-O.

Better than most. Entitlement mentality.
BK wasn't spoiled but he certainly was arrogant.
Alf is both spoiled and arrogant.

Pehaps a generational thing.

Sorry, but I don't cut BK any slack, and, he's Alf's mentor. Sam apparently didn't instill any redeeming humanistic values into his son. Sad.

All the years Alf was here and after he was gone - have yet to find anyone at a coaching clinic, official, someone who met or dealt with him occasionally to say "He's a good guy!" Loved his dad - just too many little episodes of Alf thinking the world owes him.

Loved watching lobos go down.

I will never forget the time we were tailgating before an Iowa football game and the basketball team was signing autographs at tables, etc. My son..who was about 5 or 6 years old at the time went through the line and had the players sign the sheet they had at the tables and then went up to Boy Wonder and asked him to sign his paper....instead of signing it....he said to him...I already signed it...kind of like a smart ***....I totally lost respect for him after that...I guess his signature was already on the provided autograph sheet...Just shows you the kind of person he was.....My sign was upset...he did not understand

On the other hand...now my son a teenager plays baseball.....and Frans son is the same age...Fran occasionally will be at a tournament....I remember last year..I came up to Fran told him hello and said real good year coach...I asked him how will Gessell be this year? Fran said...he will be playing and in the mix...Fran is just so approachable....we have a coach that is VERY SPECIAL here. He hasn't reached all the goals yet...but we better lock him up for the next 5-6 years with a nice contract.

Iowa wasn't elite by the time we were operating with solely Mr. Davis's players. Mr. Davis was like a slightly better Bruce Weber - could win with the other coach's guys, but never got that blockbuster recruiting class to get him back to the top. However, in Mr. Davis's defense, the death of Street really changed the trajectory of the program and rumors were that Raef was leaning heavy toward Iowa due to Street, but that disappeared when Street passed. That one event honestly could have changed the course of Mr. Davis's career pretty drastically. I was at the game where the '87 team was honored last season and the love for Mr. Davis when he was announced was simply amazing. It takes a big man to walk back into that arena after the way he was treated at the end and Mr. Davis was that big man. I don't know if we'll ever see another coach like him.

Mr. Davis is a good man and it's really too bad that good men don't finish first. But he wasn't treated poorly. He was allowed to finish his contract(huge mistake) because we lost a year of recruiting,maybe 2.
I agree ,Chris Street's tragic death really impacted our program in a bad way.. That and the Deon Thomas fiasco where we somehow come out looking the bad guy by everyone in Illinois and it kills our recruiting in Chicago.

23wives184.2.jpg

Dear Hawkeyenation,

Please stop belittling my husband, Steve and I did everything we could in Iowa City to bring Hawkeye fans a winning basketball program. But enough is enough, it hurts to read post like these from people we used to call family. I'm sorry Steve felt he needed an extra perk here and there because he was the Men's Basketball coach at Iowa, but hey what millionaire doesn't? Guys and gals have a heart and stop the hate.

Hugs and Kisses,

Tanya Alford aka Steve's Wife

he's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY to vain to go bald, he'll invest every penny he's bilked out of both universities and see to it that Rogaine develops a cure for him.

Mr. Davis is a good man and it's really too bad that good men don't finish first. But he wasn't treated poorly. He was allowed to finish his contract(huge mistake) because we lost a year of recruiting,maybe 2.
I agree ,Chris Street's tragic death really impacted our program in a bad way.. That and the Deon Thomas fiasco where we somehow come out looking the bad guy by everyone in Illinois and it kills our recruiting in Chicago.

That's the thing that still sticks in my craw. Iowa turned in evidence of sleazy bidness involving another conference program and suddenly we're the villain, the coach and program are smeared, we lose connections in Chicago and the Iowa assistant who documented the shady stuff gets sent packing. Something stunk about that whole mess.

Latest posts