Texas & ND to the Big 10??

wuppup

Earlier this evening, Notre Dame and Texas jointly presented the Big Ten Conference with their proposed terms of entry into the conference. These terms resulted from lengthy discussions among both schools and the Big Ten over the past several months.

The major items include:
1. The preservation of an eight game (plus championship) conference football schedule. Both ND and Texas wish to preserve rivalries with non-Big Ten universities on a regular basis. This would require the Big Ten to abandon its current plans of a 9 game conference schedule.
2. The staggering of the schedule to allow for mid-season scheduling with non-conference football opponents.
3. The preservation of the status quo conference makeup until approximately 2014, unless the Big XII fails to retain key (NOT including A&M) conference members. This will provide the member schools, acting in unison, with the greatest leverage negotiating ongoing television contracts, particularly with ESPN.
4. Should Texas depart the conference for the Big Ten before ND due to the further disintegration of the Big XII, ND will remain independent until approximately 2014
5. The Longhorn Network would remain independent until approximately 2014, at which point the network would become a part of an expanded Big Ten Network (specifically referred to as "BTN2"), likely either in partnership with Fox, NBC, or less likely ABC

The Big Ten just wrapped up a meeting to initially consider all of the terms presented by the schools, including the aforementioned.

Notably, there is a general discontent with the reporting of the situation by ESPN with specific regard to Texas. ESPN has, for self-serving purposes, drastically exaggerated the lean of Texas to the Pac12 conference in nearly all commentary. ESPN has essentially waged a propaganda campaign to drive support among the Texas stakeholders to the Pac12 conference. ESPN has gone so far as to attempt to accelerate the disintegration of the Big XII to pressure Texas into making an immediate conference change decision. Texas has steadfastly resisted change, and will do so until the appropriate time occurs for Texas to stand in a strong position to renegotiate television contracts, including with ESPN.

In reality, the preference expressed by Texas' relevant leadership is to depart the Big XII for the Big Ten at the time that gives Texas the greatest leverage in negotiating a new television rights deal. The Big Ten and Texas agreed that Texas should do what is best for Texas, which they also both agree is a move by Texas to join the Big Ten Conference. Delaney's top priority has been to create an environment for Texas and Notre Dame to join the conference on mutually benefical terms.

Notre Dame has an interest in preserving its traditional rivalries, three of which occur already in the Big Ten, and creating a new national rivalry with a traditional powerhouse. The Big Ten believes that ND prefers independence, but realizes that it will soon have no choice but to join a conference. The Big Ten also believes that ND is trying to position itself so that if it must join a conference, it does so on the most favorable terms possible. Hence the return to the 8 game schedule and a protected game with national power Texas. The Big Ten will attempt to create a mutually beneficial environment for ND that allows it to preserve a great deal of independence to retain all its traditional rivalries within the conference context.

The initial mood at the Big Ten to the terms provided by the two schools is "receptive."

WildcatReport.com - Message Boards

I say F Notre Dame they had their chance And as for Texas, I can see why financially that would be good for the guys in the league offices but from a fans point of view and from a travel perspective doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

you_serious_clark.png

Texas doesn't belong in the Big Ten. It will cause the collapse of the oldest DI conference in the country. They will want more money than the rest, they will want the Big Ten offices moved to their shithole of a state and they will want all late season games played in the warm south or indoors. You can be guaranteed that the Big Ten championship game would be moved to Dallas, permanently.

As much as I dislike ND, I would rather have 10 NDs than one school from Texas. Definitely would rather have 100 NDs than UT.

(If this is true...)

For ND's request of an 8 game schedule, I would politely tell them that they have no leverage and to please licketh these noits.

I have a very hard time believing that Texas and Notre Dame want any part of EQUAL revenue sharing. If in fact this meeting took place, their demands are both laughable and extremely arrogant. This conference is all for one and one for all, and all members take pride in that philosophy.

Texas doesn't belong in the Big Ten. It will cause the collapse of the oldest DI conference in the country. They will want more money than the rest, they will want the Big Ten offices moved to their shithole of a state and they will want all late season games played in the warm south or indoors. You can be guaranteed that the Big Ten championship game would be moved to Dallas, permanently.

As much as I dislike ND, I would rather have 10 NDs than one school from Texas. Definitely would rather have 100 NDs than UT.

Yep, wait until Texas gets into OSU or Michigan's ear and convinces them that it's in their best interest to start a four team conference with those three schools and ND, where they no longer have to share revenue with the other 10 (or 12) schools in the B10. We'll be left scrambling to find a new conference that is nowhere near as the one we are in now.

i hate this boot licking of the BTif they do it, but my question is what happen to the rest of ND sports that are fully integrated into the Big East

If any of this is true I would agree to all points but keeping the 8 game schedule. Going to a 9 game schedule is good for the BTN and the conference as you want more games that mean something versus Big Ten playing MAC.

I am telling you guys/gals that the Big Ten holds a LOT of power right now because of the BTN. With the demise of the B12 and rumors of the 16 team super conferences it would not surprise me that Texas and Notre Dame are approaching the Big Ten. Texas & ND are not stupid they see the dollar signs on how much BTN is raking in and how much more it would rake in if they were apart of it. They are sitting on a gold mine.

Imagine if there was a BTN2. I love it!

What would be on BTN2? There would not be enough content for it. and no one really has picked up the longhorn network, so not much draw there.

The B1G should not allow a team that wants to join have "terms" They want in, they play by our rules. How did the big XII work out with UT's terms.

I have a very hard time believing this is true. Notre Dame is happy where they are.

Last edited:
The UTerus. Do not want.

I dunno how accurate this 'report' is (author doesn't even bother to source it). I could see such an attempt being made by the two schools, and I hope the Big Ten rejects it (see: first line of this post).

The comments regarding ESPN are pretty accurate, regardless. If the Big 12 collapses, ESPN will be just as guilty a party as the schools themselves, as the pimping of The Longhorn Network is already unbearable.

Last edited:
Please make it stop... pllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeease

Wouldn't it be weird to actually talk about football and/or basketball instead of which school may or may not be joining conference X? We wait all summer for football season to get here, and when it finally does everyone ends up talking about what could happen in 2014.

Unless I'm completely missing something #1 I think is a slap in the face, and would be the one you say "NO" on. #4 I'm misunderstanding a little. Is that saying if the Big 12 denigrates we have 13 teams until ND joins in 2014? Another thing saying "no" Pick a date and stick with it.

#2 Big Ten had been discussing that already hadn't they? This wouldn't be a "huge" issue, just schedule a gimmie mid season before a big game.
#3 Just says "we'll joining in 2014"
#5 Seperate until Texas joins. fine, but at that point it is no longer their network. You could then use 1 as "Leaders" channel and 1 as "legends" channel, but they are a package deal, you can't carry 1 without the other.

Chip Brown at Orangebloods.com is speculating this morning that Texas might accept an invite from the B1G which would allow them to keep LHN but not be eligible to share in BTN revenues. I sure hope an invite like that never happens. Would be the beginning of the end of the B1G. Texas = poison.

Chip Brown: "If the Big Ten came to Texas and said we will take you as a member and you can bring the Longhorn Network - with the only caveat being that Texas could not share in any of the revenue from the Big Ten Network, that could be deliberated and discussed thoughtfully."

Orangebloods.com - Baylor's move has led to a realignment pause ... but for how long?

What would be on BTN2? There would not be enough content for it. and no one really has picked up the longhorn network, so not much draw there.

The biggest advantage would be able to offer more games on Saturday without having to roll over to those alternate channels. It would also be huge for basketball.

As far as content goes I cannot imagine they would have difficulty coming up with stuff. The LHN was going to show HS games on its network, imagine BTN televising the games of some of its top recruits. Just showing those Texas HS games would be a huge recruiting advantage for all Big Ten schools that recruit Texas. They could show more baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, ect ect.

The B1G should not allow a team that wants to join have "terms" They want in, they play by our rules. How did the big XII work out with UT's terms.

Taking a tough stance like this is not going to get the Big Ten anywhere, especially when you are talking about Texas & Notre Dame. Again if any of this is true, these 2 schools coming to the Big Ten have legitimate concerns that the Big Ten needs to take into account before bringing them in.

Latest posts