Temper your Disappointment

I agree completely with the topic of this thread. Of coarse I am disappointed the Hawks are losing all of these close games. But... This is an extremely young team. Next year I expect they'll be winning all of these games. If they're still blowing every close game, then I'll lose my mind. For now let's all take a pill and relax.

Ditto here tooYouse hoks were living the dream in the70s80s n90s wits Lute Olson n Mr. Davis n NOW THE SLOW RIDE TO MEDOCRITY FEELS VERY COMFORTABLE hok fan,,,,its like quicksand .........Some say Well it was close- or now were competitive ..............n In a close race sometimes it aint the car its the Driver!

Here is what I don't get about this thread: can't expectations change? Iowa's record is about where I thought it would be. However the team is better than I thought it would be, and the late meltdowns compound that. For a variety of reasons the record should be better. So who cares what I thought in September?

I will never understand the mentality that once you get an idea of how good a team is you can't change that opinion. I am not about a game to game roller coaster of emotion but its a complete loser mentality to be so rigid on preseason expectations.

Here is what I don't get about this thread: can't expectations change? Iowa's record is about where I thought it would be. However the team is better than I thought it would be, and the late meltdowns compound that. For a variety of reasons the record should be better. So who cares what I thought in September?

I will never understand the mentality that once you get an idea of how good a team is you can't change that opinion. I am not about a game to game roller coaster of emotion but its a complete loser mentality to be so rigid on preseason expectations.

Its a message board and CF is just as bad.

Valid point. And expectations can change, certainly.
But this is the exact sort of thing I expect to see - so I don't feel I need to adjust my expectations.
If others do, then that's their prerogative and I should be more open to their thoughts.

But I'll say it again, and my apologies for beating a dead horse...
Iowa is winning the games I thought they would, losing the games I expected them to. They are having ups and downs inside games and inside the season as we expected.
This is an inexperienced team - if you have 5 star one and done athletes, sometimes pure talent can overcome freshman mistakes - Iowa does not have that leisure.
So using the youth "excuse" is fine for this team because their talent level is conducive to making more freshman (and soph) mistakes out on the court.
Teams like this lose close games. I didn't expect Iowa to be in this many close game, though, so that's a bonus. They need to learn from their mistakes and close games - this starts with better individual play down the stretch by some of the more experienced players. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened. If Iowa wasn't playing in the Big Ten, their record would be much, much better - but it's the same team on the court. Some people forget to keep that in mind, as well. It's a pretty good team, but the B1G is stacked and rebuilding in this conf is slower than in, say, the B12.

I do prescribe to the loser mentality. Instead I am choosing to analyze this team with my head instead of my heart. I think too many fans can't step back from their loyalties to look at the big picture... which can be a good thing or a bad thing. Having realistic expectations doesn't mean you condone losing.

If Iowa finishes 8-10 as they did last year. I could see the disappointment (given the easier Big 10 schedule this year)

Last year Iowa had wins over #11,#13,#20,#15. This year hasn't had any amazing wins. Some nice wins, but nothing special.

Valid point. And expectations can change, certainly.
But this is the exact sort of thing I expect to see - so I don't feel I need to adjust my expectations.
If others do, then that's their prerogative and I should be more open to their thoughts.

But I'll say it again, and my apologies for beating a dead horse...
Iowa is winning the games I thought they would, losing the games I expected them to. They are having ups and downs inside games and inside the season as we expected.
This is an inexperienced team - if you have 5 star one and done athletes, sometimes pure talent can overcome freshman mistakes - Iowa does not have that leisure.
So using the youth "excuse" is fine for this team because their talent level is conducive to making more freshman (and soph) mistakes out on the court.
Teams like this lose close games. I didn't expect Iowa to be in this many close game, though, so that's a bonus. They need to learn from their mistakes and close games - this starts with better individual play down the stretch by some of the more experienced players. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened. If Iowa wasn't playing in the Big Ten, their record would be much, much better - but it's the same team on the court. Some people forget to keep that in mind, as well. It's a pretty good team, but the B1G is stacked and rebuilding in this conf is slower than in, say, the B12.

I do prescribe to the loser mentality. Instead I am choosing to analyze this team with my head instead of my heart. I think too many fans can't step back from their loyalties to look at the big picture... which can be a good thing or a bad thing. Having realistic expectations doesn't mean you condone losing.

I don't buy the youth excuse. Nebraska is a BAD basketball team. Down 19 with absolutely nothing to play for and they come back and win against a team that HAD an ncaa tourney chance there for the taking? No excuses for this one, especially not youth. We are 26 games into the season. Our players have had numerous close games against some of the best teams in the country. What the hell did youth have to do with this one? I agree with some on here in regard to how Fran substitutes. Sometime I look at who is on the court and shake my head. If we have a lineup on the court that is dominating, then damn it, leave'em in and step on their throats. Yup, we proved we can play a lot of players and lose a lot of games. Oh well, always next year...well maybe not as many of the other teams in the league are as young as Iowa.

We may have lost but we were favored before the game, so thatll keep you warm while watching the NIT.

I don't buy the youth excuse. Nebraska is a BAD basketball team. Down 19 with absolutely nothing to play for and they come back and win against a team that HAD an ncaa tourney chance there for the taking? No excuses for this one, especially not youth. We are 26 games into the season. Our players have had numerous close games against some of the best teams in the country. What the hell did youth have to do with this one? I agree with some on here in regard to how Fran substitutes. Sometime I look at who is on the court and shake my head. If we have a lineup on the court that is dominating, then damn it, leave'em in and step on their throats. Yup, we proved we can play a lot of players and lose a lot of games. Oh well, always next year...well maybe not as many of the other teams in the league are as young as Iowa.

The original post is from 18 days ago.
Iowa fans do not have to temper their disappointment after losing to Nebraska, up 19. Bad deal.

Latest posts