Tell me about The Fieldhouse

I never saw a game there in person or on TV, but I have been told the atmosphere was epic. Anyone care to share some stories/memories about the place?

Here are some guys that I saw play in the old Fieldhouse.

Ronnie Lester
John Johnson
Magic Johnson
Greg Kelser
Downtown Freddy Brown
Kevin Kunnert
Bruce Sky King
Cal Wulfberg (married Lute Olson's daughter?)
Scotty Thompson
Alan Hornyak
Luke Witte (Ohio St players)
Jim Brewer gopher?

Yea,those metal bleachers upstairs really made that place special for noise...bring'em back!

Favorite memories: watching Ronnie Lester close up as he drove the lane and stopped and popped with that little jumper from 12 ft...too quick for the opposition to react...reminds me a little of Derrick Rose now.

Another...anyone remember that game in 79 vs IU ...snowstorm had postponed a Sat. game until Sunday afternoon? The snow was deep,and that held fan attendance down from the usual sellout...I ended up poaching a seat about two fans down from the end of the IU bench...close up view of Bobby Knight in a game that Iowa won by a score of like 99-65....it was wonderful to see the raging Knight going crazy as his highly rated IU team get run outta the Fieldhouse...I was close enough to hear him screaming at the refs...I think he got kicked out...now that was a fun sunday afternoon of Hawk bb...aahhh the memories.

In the '70s, sat behind one of the beams - not so good. In .76, I sat in a folding chair on the floor and watched the undefeated Indiana team (Bucner, Benson, etc.).

As I recall, the place could get smokin' hot, too.

It held 13,400,I believe....and it was full most of the time. And yes, it did get hotter than hell in there...all the better to fry those victims.

The best attendance year at the old place was in 1970 at 13,399. I wonder why! That was good for fourth in the country in home attendance.

I remember sitting in the first row of the folding chairs underneath the north basket for the Big Ten opener against Purdue that year. If you were in the folding chairs in the end zones, you weren't behind the basket. Literally, you were underneath the basket. During free throws, the referee might ask you and several others to pick up your chairs and step back so he could have room during the free throw.

Rick Mount put up 54 against the Hawks that night. Still the best pure shooter I have ever seen. He personally led Purdue to the NCAA championship game the previous season. Without a three-point line, he shot anywhere across half-court. I vividly remember him taking two dribbles across half-court went strait-up and shot a jump shot. The ball was coming right at me. All it did was hit the bottom of the net. With a three-point line he probably would have had 70 points that night. Hell, his 61 points against Iowa later in the season might be 90 today.

A legendary Rick Mount - Iowa story. The pevious year during pre-game warm-ups he couldn't make a shot. Finally, he went over to the refs and made a stink that the basket wasn't the right heigth. Well, believe it or not, they measured the basket and it wasn't the right heigth. The game was delayed until the basket was adjusted. Now, that's a shooter!

The best story about the old place is when Lute got a technical during one game. Lute got up and told the ref that he didn't say a thing and pointed to a fan sitting right behind him. The fan got up and gave the ref an earful. I mean he just chewed out the ref. The ref waived off the technical. The most unusual thing I think I've ever seen during a Big Ten basketball game.

My dad used to say that he wished Iowa had all the amenities of CHA with the environment of the Fieldhouse.

I've sat everwhere in the old place, courtside and behind the posts in the upper deck. I loved the environment. It was fun, even when they lost.

Tomorrow is the Super Bowl. I would pay $1,000 to experience the joys of the old place over a free trip to the Super Bowl!

I am one of the fortune few. I've seen Iowa's last three Big Ten champions play numerous times. Ralph Miller won the Big Ten in his third year. Lute won it in his fourth year.

this might be a little off the main topic, but in '70 or'71 I saw the Grateful Dead, the New Riders of the Purple Sage, the Supremes, Neil Diamond, and Its A Beautiful Day in the fieldhouse. There was also some awesome soul singer that opened for the Supremes. During his set someone called out for the Supremes, and he came right back with: Go Ohio State! There was a game that weekend of course and he was up on current events. Never saw a game there tho. But I did play in a massive volleyball tourney in the remodeled facility. That was cool.

url

From the Gazette, 1978

When people began stamping their feet in the bleachers and and in the metal stands it would get deafening in that place. You could not hear yourself talk. Plus the people were right on top of the court and was quite intimidating to an opponent when it got rolling in there...

And then Carver came along and made it comfortable for everyone...

I also remember playing in pickup games on the same court the Hawks played on and thought that was pretty cool.
I saw some great games at the Field House but my favorite memory is from '77 when I went to IC with some friends to go to a Frank Zappa concert. This was in the days before TicketMaster. Everyone had a ticket except me so when we got on campus the morning of the show I jumped out of the car behind the Field House and went in the back door. I hung out backstage for awhile hoping to say hello to FZ but didn't get the chance. I walked to the front of the building, bought a ticket and walked out the front door just as my friends were pulling up to the curb. The concert that night was great, one of the best I've ever seen, the band played for nearly 3 hours and never took a break.

The Eastern Iowa Hawkeye Conference held its indoor track meet in the FH when I attended HS. The perimeter of the FH was just over an eight of a mile. The surface was dirt. Let's just say trying to make turns in the Field House was an adventure. The other problem was a staggered finished line. I remember stopping 20 feet short of the actual finish line.

As a student I signed up for a golf class as one of my PE sections. It was held under those steel bleachers. Ben McGilmer was in the same section. Ben had left college and returned after a stint in the Army. He wore his fatigues and black boots to class.

Class registration was held in the field house. The floor was covered with tables and chairs and you had to walk around to sign up for classes. It was a real challenge if you registered late. They had these blackboards of closed sections of core courses. You would remake a schedule several times.

When Ralph Miller was the coach he would have large canvas tarps raised to eliminate the distractions of other events in the field house.

On the East end above the bleachers was this huge flying Herky the Hawkeye. I have a few pictures of the place.

Well, I'm not necessarily against old arenas. I think the Gophers are nuts if they ever get rid of Williams, and while the Wisconsin Fieldhouse needs tons of work it would be a pretty cool place if they did it. But every f-ing game I went to at our Fieldhouse was on a 'Restricted Vision' ticket in the upper deck, and I never, ever saw both baskets during a game. :mad:

Try watching a game sometime without looking at one of the baskets. Detracts from the experience considerably. Now, if the place could have been remodeled and and those huge columns gotten out of the way instead of building Carver, that would have been great. How it could be done I don't know, as I'm sure the columns were load-bearing. I suppose you gotta hand it to the facilities people in those days - getting 13,000 plus in that building was amazing.

Given that a new arena was going to be build eventually, it's easy to say in hindsight that it should have been done differently than Carver ended up. For starters (and I hate to say it), 15,500 is too big. You just can't design a place to be as intimate as the Fieldhouse was for that many people. But that would have left a huge demand for tickets (in those days) unmet. If anyone believes they could have persuaded Bump Elliott to build a smaller place for reasons of intimacy, I'd like to hear the argument.

Well, I'm not necessarily against old arenas. I think the Gophers are nuts if they ever get rid of Williams, and while the Wisconsin Fieldhouse needs tons of work it would be a pretty cool place if they did it.

WI plays in an arena that is barely ten years old.

Ahh...I remember the Fieldhouse well from my days at the U of I. Many fond memories...where do I start.

Great place to watch a game...but it always smelled like spilled beer.

Lots of scantily clad young ladies.

You could get 25 pitchers for $25 on your birthday...great deal. My 21st birthday was on the day before classes started for the new school year - so I only had a handful of people come out to celebrate...I went through 2 pitcher cards for about 10 people...plus everyone always buys you shots on your birthday. At one point toward the end of the night I was walking to the table with a pitcher of beer in each hand and I tripped and did a faceplant...or so I've been told.

GREAT THREAD!

The Field House was simply awesome... Like Wrigley Field, it had no parking, few bathrooms and lots of seats with obstructed viewing. But it was such an asset to the home team!!!

I never understood why the real 'assets' of The Field House were never recreated at Carver Hawkeye. The Field House had bleachers with these loose wood and metal slats that hung down from the underside of the bench seats and connected to the plank that one stood on (so as to keep stuff from falling underneath the bleachers). And during crucial times in a game, all of the fans would simultaneously kick the plate with their heels and the joint would get so loud you couldn't think. I remember Ron Gonder from WMT Radio (back then, maybe only 1 or 2 games each year would be televised -- if you were lucky!) having to yell into the mic so everyone could hear him. I remember seeing many great Iowa-Iowa State wrestling matches there (those would sometimes be televised on the Iowa Public Broadcasting network -- which before cable was like watching black and red blurs in a snow storm). I remember Waterloo West's own Dan Gable wrestling there for Iowa State -- and then becoming head coach after Kurdelmeier had started the Iowa wrestling frieght train a- rollin'. In basketball, I remember watching Ronnie Lester handle the Michigan State Spartans with Earvin Johnson and Greg Kelsor in '78-'79 -- and then saw Michigan State let the air out of the ball the following year at the Field House -- this was before the shot clock came into existence in the NCAA: The halftime score was something like Iowa 5 - MSU 2! Yeah... unbelievable!! I remember the Ronnie Lester jersey retirement and that big win which really helped Iowa advance to the NCAAs in 1980. Perhaps my fondest memeory, however, was watching Iowa beat what would be Bobby Knight's 1981 National Championship team with Landon Turner and Isiah Thomas. I'll never forget in the second half, seeing Thomas get more and more frustrated and then getting ejected for attempting to cold-**** Steve Krafcisin with an unprovoked punch to the face while standing at half court with him during an Iowa free throw. (Isiah was lucky everyone including the ref saw him, 'cause he never would have made it out of there alive if they'd missed that one!)

But my memories pale in comparison to my father's memories. He recalled the Rick Mount story that was already mentioned earlier in this thread. But topping the list of Dad's favorite Field House memories (he attended Iowa in the 50s) was watching the The Freshman Basketball Team with Connie Hawkins beating everything they faced -- including winning scrimmages against the Iowa varsity team. Back then, freshman were ineligible to play varsity and oftentimes would play before the varsity game. This team would come out and do a pre-game warm up that included the Globetrotter's 'Magic Circle' routine to the Iowa Band playing Sweet Georgia Brown... With Don Nelson only two years older than Connie, the two would have probably combined to make the Hawkeyes the premiere NCAA team at the time, giving Cincinnati (with Oscar Robertson) and Ohio State (with Lucas, Havlicek and the aforementioned Robert Montgomery Knight) a run for those national titles... But Fate had other plans and Hawkins wasn't allowed to play after his freshman year. [For those who want to learn why Connie never played one second of varsity ball, I suggest reading Foul, the autobiography of Connie Hawkins.]

I guess I would like to leave everyone with is this: As the University sinks millions of dollars into Carver Hawkeye to make it things nice and modern, perhaps it should think about trying to bring back things that used to help the basketball team -- things like getting the students 'down-close' to the floor and moving the media into the rafters and re-installing those noisy "kick-plates" for additional "home court charm"... They's sound absolutley fantastic smashing against the cold, dull concrete that is Carver Hawkeye!

After reading everyones memories it makes me wish i could have gone to one of the games or even seen it on tv. Being born in 88, i didnt get to know anything about the Fieldhouse as it was in its hayday.

Given that a new arena was going to be build eventually, it's easy to say in hindsight that it should have been done differently than Carver ended up. For starters (and I hate to say it), 15,500 is too big. You just can't design a place to be as intimate as the Fieldhouse was for that many people. But that would have left a huge demand for tickets (in those days) unmet. If anyone believes they could have persuaded Bump Elliott to build a smaller place for reasons of intimacy, I'd like to hear the argument.

Row,

One of the big problems when the made the move from the Fieldhouse to Carver (imagine this) they forced season ticket holders at the Fieldhouse to take split season tickets at Carver because the demand for tickets was so high. My parents had season tickets with group of their friends at the fieldhouse when they made the move to Carver they were forced to split up.

The fieldhouse was loud but many people as sad as it is to say haven't been to Carver when it is really loud. Carver may not be as intimate as the old Fieldhouse was but it when full can be pretty damn loud.

I remember going to the Iowa Indiana game in 87 when Iowa beat Indiana 101-88 to go 18-0 and I think they were the first team to ever score 100 vs. a team coached by Knight. The place was rocking that night.

Latest posts