Talk to me about Kriener

Finally, someone said it. The past 2 years I've often wondered why Pemsl has gotten more consistent minutes/opportunities than Kriener. I wonder how much better Kriener would be if he would've gotten Pemsl's opportunity? It's obvious Pemsl has taken his opportunity and has regressed.
My only answer to that is he does have a back to the basket post game. Yet you know he's going left every time. But that said he's tough to handle there. Kriener I think has a good yet unrefined post game. But he's got potential to do way more. He can spin either way. Fade a way. Shoot from 15ish feet. He hasn't shown much consistency but hasn't really been given the chance to. That's where I'd like to see more of him. Let him work on his game out there for longer stretches and get in the flow. He just brings more to the table then Pemsl.

Finally, someone said it. The past 2 years I've often wondered why Pemsl has gotten more consistent minutes/opportunities than Kriener. I wonder how much better Kriener would be if he would've gotten Pemsl's opportunity? It's obvious Pemsl has taken his opportunity and has regressed.

I think Pemsl showed some real potential last season, particularly, towards the end. Pemsl has stagnated this season; regressed, in my opinion, and Kriener has been inconsistent; though, coming on of late. I like Kriener's offense better because he can make the 15 ft jumper AND he has potential down low. Pemsl, to me right now, is just another body. He's scoring very little for the minutes he's played. Having said that, if Pemsl starts taking and making the 15 ft jumper, then he's an asset again. But every team backs 5 ft off of him anytime he gets the ball on the wing or at the ft line.

All Kriener needed was more time on the floor. Actual game experience works wonders for some. Against Indiana in the second half he was instrumental in the comeback, same thing at Minnesota.....

Perhaps his best quality is that he understands how to play the game of basketball. He is certainly one of the most savvy players on the team, along with Baer and Bohannon. He is quite active on D, sometimes the only one who knows what he is doing. He does get beat sometimes because he can't cover 5 opponents by himself. Not at this stage anyway.....

He has shown lately just how valuable he can be to the team. He does help his teammates on D, directing them to the right spot. This is a good thing.....

Simply an opinion, not necessarily meaningful or anything like that.....

:cool:

Which part do you disagree with and why?

I explain it very well in my other posts. Good all around player. More of an all around player than others in his position. Plus, he's still relatively young and has an upside to get better in certain aspects. I just think he is a solid player.

All Kriener needed was more time on the floor. Actual game experience works wonders for some. Against Indiana in the second half he was instrumental in the comeback, same thing at Minnesota.....

Perhaps his best quality is that he understands how to play the game of basketball. He is certainly one of the most savvy players on the team, along with Baer and Bohannon. He is quite active on D, sometimes the only one who knows what he is doing. He does get beat sometimes because he can't cover 5 opponents by himself. Not at this stage anyway.....

He has shown lately just how valuable he can be to the team. He does help his teammates on D, directing them to the right spot. This is a good thing.....

Simply an opinion, not necessarily meaningful or anything like that.....

:cool:

Agree. I think he is an asset to the team at this point.

I explain it very well in my other posts. Good all around player. More of an all around player than others in his position. Plus, he's still relatively young and has an upside to get better in certain aspects. I just think he is a solid player.
I never said he sucked. I said he was behind Cook, Garza and Nunge. You disagree?

They are not identical, but Garza and Kriener have very similar playing styles. You disagree?

Wow. I look at Iowa's front line players and I believe only Garza and Cook are better than Kriener. Right now Kriener is clearly better than Pemsl and Nunge. I would have red-shirted Nunge.....he just isn't ready for the Big Ten right now. Pemsl is an average defender and a horrible offensive player. I don't understand Fran's rotation at all.

One thing I will say about Kreiner is that he is a player that doesn’t seem to know he isn’t very good. Confidence is important. Sometimes talented kids play timid because they don’t have it. He has it, just not much talent.

He is quite active on D, sometimes the only one who knows what he is doing. He does get beat sometimes because he can't cover 5 opponents by himself. Not at this stage anyway.....

I agree on your D comments. However, with this coaching staff playing good defense earns you exactly 0 additional minutes of playing time.

Out of curiosity I looked it up and objectively, Kriener is better than Pemsl this year. But this year's Kriener is not better than Pemsl was last year. I'm basing this off of Plus/Minus statistics on offense and defense. Kriener has improved and Pemsl has regressed. If Kriener continues to improve and Pemsl can return to form, we'll be in good shape with both guys being excellent backups next year.

Here's what I'm talking about:
2017 OBPM DBPM BPM
Kriener -1.1 2.2 1.1
Pemsl 2.5 3.1 5.5

Kriener 0.9 1.8 2.7
Pemsl 1.0 0.8 1.8

Caveat, this is a statistic that can be skewed by when they play and how much they play. It is based off of an average player on an average team difference per 100 possessions for offense and defense. From my understanding, it is a direct correlate of the players individual contribution to the offensive and defensive efficiency. For example, if you play 5 players for 100 offensive and defensive possessions that have an OBPM of +2 and a DBPM of +2, then you'd expect an average team offensive output of 110 points while allowing 90 points on defense (that would be a solid tournament team).

Wow. I look at Iowa's front line players and I believe only Garza and Cook are better than Kriener. Right now Kriener is clearly better than Pemsl and Nunge. I would have red-shirted Nunge.....he just isn't ready for the Big Ten right now. Pemsl is an average defender and a horrible offensive player. I don't understand Fran's rotation at all.
Kriener is better than Nunge? I disagree.

I feel bad for Nunge because our idiot coach has him playing out of position, even so he is quietly one of the better players on our team.

Nunge ranks 2nd on the team in Defensive Box +/- behind only Baer. (Kriener 3rd)

Nunge ranks third on the team in Player Efficiency (PER) behind only Garza and Cook. (Kriener 8th)

Nunge is 8th in minutes played, but ranks 2nd on the team in blocked shots and t-2nd in steals.

He’s also 3rd on the team in FT% at 77.3%.

Last edited:
Kriener is better than Nunge? I disagree.

I feel bad for Nunge because our idiot coach has him playing out of position, even so he is quietly one of the better players on our team.

Nunge ranks 2nd on the team in Defensive Box +/- behind only Baer.

Nunge ranks third on the team in Player Efficiency (PER) behind only Garza and Cook.

Nunge is 8th in minutes played, but ranks 2nd on the team in blocked shots and t-2nd in steals.

He’s also 3rd on the team in FT% at 77.3%.
Nunge's length size and athleticism are so huge for his game he can't help but get blocks and deflections. I wish he could have red shirted this year... All those comparing him to Uthoff need to remember what Uthoff was at 19... Dude wasn't even close to being as physically ready to play as Nunge is at same age. I hope we can be patient with Nunge he's going to be a stud. Just wait.

Have a good day at work honey! The mailman is almost here and I have his favorite dish prepared. ;)

This is 2018 dude. The conglomerate of mailboxes are all down a the end of the cul-de-sac or entrance to the neighborhood. Mailmen don't even come close to the house anymore unless you live in Podunk City!! Cute try though!