Talk of FSU and Clemson to Big 12.

Call me old school...but to thrive, conferences still need some degree of geographic integrity.

The Big Ten, SEC, PAC 10, ACC, Big 12, Big East all have that.

The new hybrid versions of the Big East, Big 12 etc bubbling up... drift further and further from it. And as much as TV drives the revenue streams...I think fractured geographies still undermine a conference.

ISU and Florida State in the same conference just doesn't make sense.

774.7 mi - IC to State College

1,169.0 mi - Ames to Tallahassee

about 400 miles. thats about an hour or less on a plane, so not sure it makes much difference honestly.

Yeah, it's seems to me like UVA would be pretty attractive to the B1G. Excellent school w/ solid athletics. I suppose you could say the same about UNC. I don't know but it seems to me out of Rutgers, UVA and UNC that Rutgers has the weakest AD and academics?

According to US News, in terms of academics, Rutgers is ranked 68, VA-25, and UNC-29. So yes Rutgers is the weakest. Several Big 10 schools are ranked around Rutgers. Iowa is 71. This also brings up the argument that Florida State may not want to leave a prestigous group of universities in terms of academics for the Big 12. The ACC has 5 schools in the top 35. Pretty impressive.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

According to US News, in terms of academics, Rutgers is ranked 68, VA-25, and UNC-29. So yes Rutgers is the weakest. Several Big 10 schools are ranked around Rutgers. Iowa is 71. This also brings up the argument that Florida State may not want to leave a prestigous group of universities in terms of academics for the Big 12. The ACC has 5 schools in the top 35. Pretty impressive.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Any list that puts Penn State and Illinois above the University of Texas is inherently flawed, in my opinion.

Any list that puts Penn State and Illinois above the University of Texas is inherently flawed, in my opinion.

Technically they are all tied at 45. You could debate the criteria used to come up with the rankings, but my point was that Rutgers is rated lower than VA and UNC on pretty much every list I've seen.

Yes but what does FSU gain from this? Does the ACC have a research arm like the B1G has with the CIC? If, by association, FSU can receive grant money then yes a move away from the ACC is a bad idea but if TV football money is an economic driver for FSU then it's possible they would leave.

ISU had better hope FSU and Clemson DON'T join the Big 12. They need weaker schools, not stronger, it they're going to get that Rhoads statue and monument built. Falling back to 2-3 victories a year won't cut it.

Yes but what does FSU gain from this? Does the ACC have a research arm like the B1G has with the CIC? If, by association, FSU can receive grant money then yes a move away from the ACC is a bad idea but if TV football money is an economic driver for FSU then it's possible they would leave.

From what I've read, they must not be gaining much because FSU is broke. They have a chance to make a lot more money in the Big 12. There are lots of people saying it could happen, (mostly blogs, we know who realiable those can be) but I think it's still a long shot.

FSU reporter was on Miller and Brinson this afternoon. He said there is a 2% chance of this happening.

Seems generous. It's crazy talk, really.

From what I've read, they must not be gaining much because FSU is broke. They have a chance to make a lot more money in the Big 12. There are lots of people saying it could happen, (mostly blogs, we know who realiable those can be) but I think it's still a long shot.

If FSU doesn't reap financial reward through athletics and/or academics by association with ACC schools I'm wondering what's keeping them in it?

Again, if the ACC doesn't have a similar system to the B1G (CIC) FSU really has no reason to turn their nose up to the Big 12 based upon academics. So then it would be an issue of financial gain through football, right?

Florida State's AD said that they are committed to the ACC today. So I guess that's that.

In analyzing the options concerning the Big 12, ACC, and Big East there are several possibilities beyond expansion of the existing conferences. To wit let's examine creation of a "super" conference from the more powerful members of all three conferences.

Big 12 Nominees: Texas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Kansas
ACC Nominees: Florida St, Miami, Va Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Clemson
Big East Nominees: Louisville, Cincinnati

Under this concept you might pick off one or two SEC schools; say Arkansas and Vanderbilt to make 14 teams and it creates a east-west conference in the most populous time zones. In addition it become more geographically and culturally united. Additionally the conference isn't weak academically.

It may seem radical to some, but you have to think outside the current boxes. The idea of four 16 teams conferences seems radical, but after a while you can see it could happen.

Gaining a little steam but idk why ISU fans are so excited .....just another team to put them further down the totem pole.

Gaining a little steam but idk why ISU fans are so excited .....just another team to put them further down the totem pole.

Yes, it could potentially put ISU in a harder position to rise among the other teams in the conference. But this also further solidifies the conference, bumps up the pay through tv rights to the school, and could potentially open more of a recruiting ground in Florida as well.

I think a lot of the "excitement" by ISU fans is the mere fact that instead of worrying about where we are going to end up in the realignment talk, we get to be on the opposite side in safety because its about teams are coming to the Big XII.

Because it further strengthens a big 12 that was just last year on the verge of folding. Building the Big12 footprint also opens up recruiting and add more money into the programs. Take off your hate glasses for a bit and it makes sense for folks to get a bit excited.

Because it further strengthens a big 12 that was just last year on the verge of folding. Building the Big12 footprint also opens up recruiting and add more money into the programs. Take off your hate glasses for a bit and it makes sense for folks to get a bit excited.

Stop acting like the Big 12 footprint and recruiting areas are teh same as Iowa state's footprint and recruiting areas. It doesn't matter who teh Big IX brings in, you'll still be in recruiting battles with South Dakota State and Eastern Michigan, and you'll still have exclusive broadcasting rights on Mediacom 22 and FSN Dakotas.

Latest posts