Super Seven: Ranking the Big Ten’s best big men (Woody Listed)

So the consensus is that Josh needs to keep shooting, but Woody needs to pass the ball? I'm not buying that line of thinking.

Josh has a reputation as a good 3 point shooter who was struggling before the game in Evanston. Every coach in the country would tell him to keep shooting.

Woody has never had the reputation as a scorer in the low post and will take some time to polish his offensive game. Until he develops further, he should not shoot as much.

That really was a terrible comparison.

Woody shot 65% from the field during his highschool career (from MaxPreps). I realize that things are a little tougher in college, but I think he still is a better shot at returning to a high shooting percentage than Josh. Woody must keep shooting.

Woody shot 65% from the field during his highschool career (from MaxPreps). I realize that things are a little tougher in college, but I think he still is a better shot at returning to a high shooting percentage than Josh. Woody must keep shooting.

Woody's shots in high school came against guys he had a 4-6 inch advantage in height. Of course he was going to shoot a high percentage.

To expect anything more than 4 PPG from Woody the rest of the way will be setting yourself up for dissappointment.

Woody's shots are not getting blocked, so I don't think your point about height differential is valid. The shots are getting to the rim, they just are not falling through. I will wager that woody gets his average above 6 points per game by the end of the season. It would help my cause if Fran would play him more than 15 minutes per game.

I would like a little more info on why you think Josh should shoot his way out of a slump, but Woody must pass the ball (other than you opinion about their respective reputations from high school).

Nothing against Woody, but this team doesn't have the talent to win games consistently feeding a big that is only hitting 35% of his shots in conference play. We're not talking about 35% from the arc we're talking about 35% from inside 10 feet, often much closer. I like the kid, but Iowa will not win games if Woody continues to shoot when he isn't double teamed. If the shots there he should take it, but there is no reason, IMO, that he should have the mind set to shoot if there isn't a double team (not that he is thinking that way).

Woody's shots are not getting blocked, so I don't think your point about height differential is valid. The shots are getting to the rim, they just are not falling through. I will wager that woody gets his average above 6 points per game by the end of the season. It would help my cause if Fran would play him more than 15 minutes per game.

I would like a little more info on why you think Josh should shoot his way out of a slump, but Woody must pass the ball (other than you opinion about their respective reputations from high school).

So going against taller players doesnt make Woody's shots more difficult? Just because they arent getting blocked doesnt mean he isnt being affected by it. If Woody starts shooting a higher percentage, then I would wager he would start getting more than 15 MPG.

Fran has said Josh is a great shooter and he has stated multiple times recently that he is never going to tell Josh not to shoot. He actually gets on him quite a bit for passing up shots. That is good enough evidence for me to think Josh should keep shooting. If Fran lost confidence in him and didnt want him to shoot he would not be playing.

Why should Woody keep shooting? Other than the fact that his shots "are getting to the rim, they just are not falling through"?

Why should woody keep shooting? Because historically, he has shot a very high percentage (just like Josh). What's good for the Goose and all that.

How do you explain his 80% performance against Michigan?

Last edited:
Why should woody keep shooting? Because historically, he has shot a very high percentage (just like Josh). What's good for the Goose and all that.

How do you explain his 80% performance against Michigan?

Historically in the B1G he is a 34.8% shooter. How do you explain his 14.3% performance against NU?

I do not want Josh O to keep shooting.

If you had to pick one and only one with the Hawks down by 1 and with the ball.

Do you pick Josh O for a 3 ball or give the ball to Woody for a baby hook from 10 feet?

Josh O everytime for me.

Last edited:

Do you pick Josh O for a 3 ball or give the ball to Woody for a baby hook from 10 feet?

Josh O everytime for me.

Not me. Not even close. Woody's jumphook is cold.

I do not want Josh O to keep shooting.

If Fran is going to play him, then I want Josh O to keep shooting. The worse thing he can do is become scared to shoot, because then he's completely worthless while he's on the floor. He needs to just let it fly whenever he has a look, and that way he gives himself a chance to get in a rhythm like he did against NW.

Josh O everytime for me.

Woody is shooting 34.7% from the floor in B1G play. That's bad.

It's still better than Oglesby's 29.5% 3-point shooting, 28.6% in B1G play.

In your initial hypothetical you said we were down 1. Who cares about eFG%?

Fair enough, I didnt pay attention to the post tm responded to.

I still take Oglesby and take notice the next close game we are in. Is Woodbury in down the stretch or Oglesby?

Fair enough, I didnt pay attention to the post tm responded to.

I still take Oglesby and take notice the next close game we are in. Is Woodbury in down the stretch or Oglesby?

It depends on who we're playing. Really, in this case, you're asking us to pick between the lesser of 2 evils. Optimally, you'd take a dribble drive from Roy Dev or Whitey. But if you're asking which shot I have more confidence in, I'm going with Woodbury's hook.

I'll take woody in your hypothetical every time. As for not being in down the stretch, it really depends on the situation. In a game where Iowa has a small lead, I don't want woody on the floor as he is a free throw shooting liability in that scenario. In a close game with Iowa behind, I do want him on the floor, both for his scoring potential, but also for his rebounding.

It depends on who we're playing. Really, in this case, you're asking us to pick between the lesser of 2 evils. Optimally, you'd take a dribble drive from Roy Dev or Whitey. But if you're asking which shot I have more confidence in, I'm going with Woodbury's hook.

I'll take woody in your hypothetical every time. As for not being in down the stretch, it really depends on the situation. In a game where Iowa has a small lead, I don't want woody on the floor as he is a free throw shooting liability in that scenario. In a close game with Iowa behind, I do want him on the floor, both for his scoring potential, but also for his rebounding.

Agree to disagree with both of you.

Latest posts