Super Seven: Ranking the Big Ten’s best big men (Woody Listed)

Zeller gets points off the fastbreak, Woodbury does not, he might have 4 fastbreak points all year. How many fastbreaks has he stopped on defense by getting back, not many. Yes he rebounds and passes to the outlet but so does every other big man. Does that make him a good passer. I thought he was suppose to pass well out of the post yet only 7 assists. People say these things because they heard them somewhere maybe from Fran or maybe by some prospect scout, but i have yet to see him do any of those things

I'm sorry, but don't most assists like those you describe come from perimeter guys hitting threes?

What's that one thing this team really, REALLY sucks at doing?

The fact that Mbakwe isn't on this list makes it somewhat illegitimate for me. Also Thomas for OSU. Those guys are each playing at very high levels and deserve to be on this list. Unless this list is about 'true' centers, and maybe those guys aren't centers, just forwards instead.

Another thing, Zeller is overrated. This reminds me of a thread from a while back, maybe after the Iowa IU game.

Now it depends how you define overrated, because a player can be great in college and not be a good pro, and that shouldn't make him overrated. And with that being said, he hasn't played in the pros yet, so who knows!

But there's no way he's going to be a really good pro, like someone said on a former thread: He scores a ton and every shot is from within 6 feet/FT line. He's not Wilt Chamberlain, it won't work like that in the NBA

Point being, if the big ten comes out with a list of the best bigs in the conference... the #1 guy should be a good NBA player. And I think there are bigs in the conference that will be good NBA players. I don't think Zeller will

they can also come on back cuts, how often has white been open down low for dunks, we have some players that can knock down the mid range game also, marble especially

i agree with you there players like cody zeller never really pan out in the nba, luke harangody, tyler zeller, the plumlees, tyler hansbrough

The fact that Mbakwe isn't on this list makes it somewhat illegitimate for me. Also Thomas for OSU. Those guys are each playing at very high levels and deserve to be on this list. Unless this list is about 'true' centers, and maybe those guys aren't centers, just forwards instead.

Another thing, Zeller is overrated. This reminds me of a thread from a while back, maybe after the Iowa IU game.

Now it depends how you define overrated, because a player can be great in college and not be a good pro, and that shouldn't make him overrated. And with that being said, he hasn't played in the pros yet, so who knows!

But there's no way he's going to be a really good pro, like someone said on a former thread: He scores a ton and every shot is from within 6 feet/FT line. He's not Wilt Chamberlain, it won't work like that in the NBA

Mbakwe and Thomas are neither 6'10" or taller which is a criteria to be on the list.

I'm sorry, but don't most assists like those you describe come from perimeter guys hitting threes?

What's that one thing this team really, REALLY sucks at doing?

C'mon T-Mase, you don't really think that's why Woody has so few assists do you?

Woody doesnt look to pass that often.

It seems like most of the time he is fed the ball in the post, a shot is going up.

Woody doesnt look to pass that often.

It seems like most of the time he is fed the ball in the post, a shot is going up.

I think it is because he is not drawing a 2nd defender, earlier in the year he was kicking it back out when he got double teamed. If he is not getting double teamed then I want him looking to score, once he starts making that hook shot it will open up the perimeter and then it will be up to the guards to hit from the outside.

I'm OK with woody shooting when he gets the ball in the post. I think he should be like a black hole. Once the ball goes in, it shouldn't come back out very often.

I think it is because he is not drawing a 2nd defender, earlier in the year he was kicking it back out when he got double teamed. If he is not getting double teamed then I want him looking to score, once he starts making that hook shot it will open up the perimeter and then it will be up to the guards to hit from the outside.

Most B1G teams wont have to send an extra man to help on Woody.

Coppin State and the like did.

Until he consistently knocks down those half hooks, I dont want him shooting 5 or 6 of them a game. The ball should go through him at times, but he should be more willing to pass right now.

I'm OK with woody shooting when he gets the ball in the post. I think he should be like a black hole. Once the ball goes in, it shouldn't come back out very often.

Well, it does. Usually because his shot grazes the front of the rim, and the opposing team snares the board.

Woody is 8/23 in B1G play. Good for 34.8% from the floor. That is down drastically from his non-conference shooting percentage.

He needs to look to pass the ball.

I disagree, if he is not drawing the double team then I want him shooting it. Even with the bad outing against Northwestern he is still shooting about 54%. The only way he is going to get better in game is by shooting it. Again once he starts making them then it will open up a lot either on the perimeter or from cutters because it will force teams to put a 2nd body on him.

I disagree, if he is not drawing the double team then I want him shooting it. Even with the bad outing against Northwestern he is still shooting about 54%. The only way he is going to get better in game is by shooting it. Again once he starts making them then it will open up a lot either on the perimeter or from cutters because it will force teams to put a 2nd body on him.

And those numbers are due to the non-conference schedule.

With the exception of PSU because I have no clue who they have for bigs, Woody may not see a double team consistently for the rest of the year. He can be limited offensively this year from a scoring perspective pretty much every night out in the B1G. He can do more good by looking to dish to cutting teammates or guys on the perimiter.

I think he will develop into a very good offensive player, its just not going to happen in the 2nd half of his freshman year.

Yeah, he does need to start making them. Give it time, the more minutes he is on the court and shots he takes will benefit him (and the team) down the road.

Yeah, he does need to start making them. Give it time, the more minutes he is on the court and shots he takes will benefit him (and the team) down the road.

I dont think Fran or the team is worried about how much Woody taking shots right now will benefit the team down the road. Him shooting does not give the team the best shot to win Saturday night or the rest of this season.

So the consensus is that Josh needs to keep shooting, but Woody needs to pass the ball? I'm not buying that line of thinking.

Latest posts