Sucks, but finally found out I don't really care

I graduated from the U in 1976 and it has been more than 30 since I lived in Iowa. Every year for the past decade it seems I become less and less interested in Iowa sports. With the Chinese virus screwing up the schedule and taking Iowa football off the BTN feed, at least where I now live, the Brian nepotism and the allegations of racism on the part of the staff, I really don't care. Have many other things to do with my Saturdays. Haven't watched one second of the first two games or commented in game threads, and I don't plan to the rest of the way.

Not sure whether I'll watch any hoops, either, although I think Fran has a pretty good team this season.

Where do you live now, bruh?

Yes. I knew someone who to literally his dying day had the specific name of the person almost single handedly responsible for Iowa and Stoops not being able to put it together. He may have been full of shit but, given this individual's background and past position (which was within the University, no less), I can't rule out him being on the money.

That said...I have to agree with your assessment that, for all the ups and downs we've been through in the last 20+ years, Ferentz was likely the better fit. Stoops I think would have either struggled OR ridden the first wave of success out of town. If you want to debate who Iowa would have hypothetically hired of they had hypothetically been able to land Stoops and he hypothetically jumped town after he hypothetically had a good season, go for it...but it makes my head hurt.

Very easy to look at Stoops' Oklahoma record and say "that should be us!", but Iowa ain't Oklahoma.
I just have to think as much as Bob may have wanted to come back he saw a much clearer path to a natty @ OU than he'd ever get at Iowa. One of the constants of Iowa football throughout the years has been the difficulty of recruiting blue-chip athletes to Iowa City. Evy and Fry both bitched about how difficult recruiting was. OU has enjoyed one hell of a pedigree throughout the years. It's one of those places with a rich history and makes kids pay attention. I have to think this all played in Stoop's decision to go to Norman.

I just have to think as much as Bob may have wanted to come back he saw a much clearer path to a natty @ OU than he'd ever get at Iowa. One of the constants of Iowa football throughout the years has been the difficulty of recruiting blue-chip athletes to Iowa City. Evy and Fry both bitched about how difficult recruiting was. OU has enjoyed one hell of a pedigree throughout the years. It's one of those places with a rich history and makes kids pay attention. I have to think this all played in Stoop's decision to go to Norman.
Makes you wonder how George Raveling did it.

You can draw your own conclusions there.

No way do Roy or BJ leave the state of Michigan today. Eddie, Kevin Gamble and Ray Thompson (a Mr. Davis/Bruce Pearl recruit) would go to Illinois or to a blue blood (probably Kansas or Kentucky) in today's landscape of AAU and shoe deals.

No way do Roy or BJ leave the state of Michigan today. Eddie, Kevin Gamble and Ray Thompson (a Mr. Davis/Bruce Pearl recruit) would go to Illinois or to a blue blood (probably Kansas or Kentucky) in today's landscape of AAU and shoe deals.

When Iowa lands a big time out of state basketball recruit, it is best to adopt the military's policy of a few years ago. Don't ask, don't tell.

I heard that Stoops had an exploding offer from Oklahoma and that it wasn't BB who cratered it, but rather a Committee of The Learned Gynocracy who wanted Iowa to focus more on academics and de-emphasize football. I know this might be heresy, but for our program and talent level, Ferentz was probably the better choice of the two.
You mean it was better for Bob Stoops.

However it does make me wonder what Stoops could have done with the 2002 and 2009 team. One or two more wins in either season and we might have been playing for the championship. Just saying you never know.

And unfortunately like your post pretty much says, we will never see an Iowa Basketball team that loaded with talent.

You mean it was better for Bob Stoops.

However it does make me wonder what Stoops could have done with the 2002 and 2009 team. One or two more wins in either season and we might have been playing for the championship. Just saying you never know.

Banks and Clark were really good, but that 2002 team had one of the best o-lines in CFB history. That was Kirk. No guarantee Stoops lands Banks, either. Sure, Stoops has had some flashy offenses, but I'm not convinced he could regularly win with equal or lesser talent.

Banks and Clark were really good, but that 2002 team had one of the best o-lines in CFB history. That was Kirk. No guarantee Stoops lands Banks, either. Sure, Stoops has had some flashy offenses, but I'm not convinced he could regularly win with equal or lesser talent.
It was pretty fluky. Stumbled into getting Banks. Clark was a nobody 2 star small school LB originally. Gallery was a TE initially that grew into a monster. Mo Brown/CJ Jones weren't highly sought after talent. The stars aligned they all ended up at Iowa and developed how they did. To try putting much of a different spin on it would be tough. The few highly rated signing classes we've had didn't really pan out that way. (imagine if they had)

And 2002 is the year I'll always say that OSU backed into a natty by not having to play Iowa.

It was pretty fluky. Stumbled into getting Banks. Clark was a nobody 2 star small school LB originally. Gallery was a TE initially that grew into a monster. Mo Brown/CJ Jones weren't highly sought after talent. The stars aligned they all ended up at Iowa and developed how they did. To try putting much of a different spin on it would be tough. The few highly rated signing classes we've had didn't really pan out that way. (imagine if they had)

Yeah, but I think the resurgence was totally on the o-line and Joe Philbin, who I think Kirk knew from back in the day. I honestly don't think Stoops would have pulled that same rabbit out of his hat that Kirk did. That was a truly amazing rebuild in a very short period.

Yeah, but I think the resurgence was totally on the o-line and Joe Philbin, who I think Kirk knew from back in the day. I honestly don't think Stoops would have pulled that same rabbit out of his hat that Kirk did. That was a truly amazing rebuild in a very short period.
Oh I agree the Oline was everything. Being able to run block and pass block like they did. Let's not forget Doyle and his early impact either. Would Gallery have ended up being the Outland winner without him?

Nobody said they weren’t supporting the Hawks. Someone saying they aren’t ready to slit their wrists after two losses is a whole lot different than what you’re implying. Not caring about wins/losses in this ridiculous farce of a season (the NCAA has quite literally said it doesn’t count) is the rational viewpoint to take. Yours—one of fabricated outrage—is the real idiocy here.
That's not what he said, he said he doesn't care about whether they win or lose and has no desire to watch them. I just said, good riddance. If your loyalty is that fickle...you really aren't a fan. I love how you just jump in with your assessment..and start the idiocy declaration.

I also think not caring about wins and losses is bullshit. All teams have the same challenges and are dealing with the same timeframes. Making excuses is for losers. Play the games. We haven't won because we haven't played well...across the board...and for no other reason. If you ask the players, they care...and they want to win. I'll support them...you can choose to not give us shit and show apathy. To me, this year watching games is no different than any other year. We have a new QB...and he hasn't been able to get it done at the level we needed to win. I'm hoping he improves and takes the next step. I'm not trying to tear him down like others on here...but he needs to play better...that's clear.

I like really prefer that a moderator only posts to keep the discussion within the site rules. If they decide to contribute to the discussion, I prefer that it's not a moronic comment. Please do better.

That's not what he said, he said he doesn't care about whether they win or lose and has no desire to watch them. I just said, good riddance. If your loyalty is that fickle...you really aren't a fan. I love how you just jump in with your assessment..and start the idiocy declaration.

I also think not caring about wins and losses is bullshit. All teams have the same challenges and are dealing with the same timeframes. Making excuses is for losers. Play the games. We haven't won because we haven't played well...across the board...and for no other reason. If you ask the players, they care...and they want to win. I'll support them...you can choose to not give us shit and show apathy. To me, this year watching games is no different than any other year. We have a new QB...and he hasn't been able to get it done at the level we needed to win. I'm hoping he improves and takes the next step. I'm not trying to tear him down like others on here...but he needs to play better...that's clear.

I like really prefer that a moderator only posts to keep the discussion within the site rules. If they decide to contribute to the discussion, I prefer that it's not a moronic comment. Please do better.
I'm thinking of a three letter word. It is a brand of deodorant.

BAN

he said he doesn't care about whether they win or lose and has no desire to watch them.

That is not what I said.

I don't know if getting Banks (and others) could be considered fluky. Bret Bielema was responsible for recruiting Florida and left a heck of a legacy when he left in 2000. He worked Florida hard. It carried us through the Capital One Bowl, at the very least.

And unfortunately like your post pretty much says, we will never see an Iowa Basketball team that loaded with talent.
Loaded for sure. All the 1987 team lacked was an interior defensive stopper while the 1989 team had bad injury luck and dealt with a loaded conference. Think of what a seasoned Acie Earl could have meant for either of those teams.

And 2002 is the year I'll always say that OSU backed into a natty by not having to play Iowa.
We would have rolled Brutus in Iowa City, in Columbus, or on the moon. The only team that stood a chance against us by the end of that season was the one we drew.

AAARRRGGHHH!!!!!

The weakest link of that team, and with the 2002 team weakness was a relative term, was the defensive secondary. Yes we had Bob Sanders but when we had to go nickel Carson Palmer and the USC receivers abused Scott Boleyn and Derek Pagel

Last edited:
LOL. "I'm hanging on by a thread myself as a fan". We won 10 games last year and went out to the West Coast and beat the crap out of a top Pac12 school like SC. When was the last time we did that? 1959? The team last year...if they don't lose Banwart, Jackson, Schott on the OL...likely win the West. Everyone has injuries, but losing your starting two guards for Michigan and Penn State really, really hurt...and Jackson was a shadow of himself in those games too.

Every team deals with internal issues, injuries...the point I was making is that every team has the same timelines and is dealing with the same challenges. Our QB has never started a B10 football game...and we should have won those two games. We just didn't make plays at critical junctures in the game.

We've started poorly...0-2. Iowa teams, especially with the talent this team has, ALWAYS get better. The defense held NW to 35 yards rushing in the second half and played well enough to win the game when it counted. That's positive. The offense needs to score points after halftime...that's killed us.

This apathy toward the team to me is unwarranted. It's Iowa Football. I've enjoyed both games...and we certainly had several opportunities to win both games. We weren't outclassed...we weren't routed. We should have won both. If the players go in the tank and give up...then you have something to bitch about. I haven't seen that at all. When the game is on, I forget about all this pandemic crap going on, i forget about Trump's lying, I forget about my wife wanting me to clean out the garage, I forget about the unrelenting crap at work...how can you show apathy toward something that brings back a sense of the world being normal again.

Last edited:

Latest posts