Sucks, but finally found out I don't really care

Good Riddance. Please...you obviously aren't a fan and don't feel a sense of loyalty to the University. I enjoyed my time at Iowa, met great people, and was fortunate to be there when Hayden took over...so I saw the excitement of what a winning program could bring. I'll support all the athletic programs till I die. Is there disappointment at times, do I disagree with direction at times, yes...and yes...but never have I not wanted to watch them play football or basketball. It's in my DNA now.
Being a loyal fan has nothing to do with wanting a coaching change. I suppose you would agree with that. I am not saying you want a coaching change but that you are reasonable enough to understand why others would like to see it happen.

Tune in next year and the one after that, and the one after that as Iowa pursues second and third place finishes in the division (not conference for those who don’t know the difference. Which is the equivalent of a six or seventh finish in the overall conference.)

It’s sad that as a fan base we have settled into a spirit of acceptance of mediocrity. As long as the fans and administration are happy with second and third place finishes in the West conference this program is doomed to mediocrity.

Being a loyal fan has nothing to do with wanting a coaching change. I suppose you would agree with that. I am not saying you want a coaching change but that you are reasonable enough to understand why others would like to see it happen.

Tune in next year and the one after that, and the one after that as Iowa pursues second and third place finishes in the division (not conference for those who don’t know the difference. Which is the equivalent of a six or seventh finish in the overall conference.)

It’s sad that as a fan base we have settled into a spirit of acceptance of mediocrity. As long as the fans and administration are happy with second and third place finishes in the West conference this program is doomed to mediocrity.
The next couple of years features some higher level recruiting classes. The current two deeps show significant numbers of returning players. I don’t see the BT West as getting significantly tougher. Of course, lots of variables could intervene to push us back into mediocrity. We did win a big basket of games in 2019.

I don't know if getting Banks (and others) could be considered fluky. Bret Bielema was responsible for recruiting Florida and left a heck of a legacy when he left in 2000. He worked Florida hard. It carried us through the Capital One Bowl, at the very least.
I'm not saying that getting them was fluky so much as them all developing and turning into what they did was. I worded that poorly. None of them were looked at as 4 or 5 star can't miss talents coming in. But it's pretty safe to say they more then turned into that.

I wonder if anyone feels any different about this team now. This team has gotten better every week. They are still growing, but they are going to be a tough out the rest of the way. Petras played his best game of the year by far (fumble and one just awful decision/throw), and made the plays in front of him. He's still locking on receivers from the play onset, but he's at least making the easy throws and throwing the ball away to get out of trouble. It's encouraging.

I, for one, have really enjoyed watching the defense get better and it's clear...their best football is still ahead of them.

Beating Penn State exercised 6 years worth of demons today. We made it interesting...but just loved watching these guys play today.

It's too bad the divisional race is all but over. With jNW beating Wisky it's all but mathematically impossible for Iowa to win the West and go to Indy. Fitz has a good defense. Iowa is getting better. I just wish we had a full season. But as it is I'm ready to put a beatdown on little Debby.

Nice sunny day on Saturday so I jumped on the bike at 11 and rode until 5:30, spent most of last Saturday out fishing. I have watched less then 1 quarter of the games this year and not really missed it at all and found this to be very different from the years past and not sure why. Until Saturday, it finally hit me.
I don't care if they win anymore...............and as I look at it, it all started with BF being handed a job he was not deserving of a few years ago, and it was not so much the OC job but this was just a stepping stone to be the next head coach and that make me want to puke.
With GB giving KF the lifetime contract (for the most part) the ONLY way thing are going to change is with losses. I haven't cheered for a loss yet but not going to lie it does make me smirk a bit. Have you ever tried getting into a game if you don't care about the outcome.
Hope this all changes in the near future but, I am 53 now and not holding my breath or wasting my Saturdays on it anymore, Hope this doesn't go on for 10 more years
God I hope there is a basketball season

rant over
I also found out that I don't care...

whether you watch the Hawks or not. I just don't care to hear your whiny ass bitching about the coaches.

It's amazing to me that Iowa fans don't seem to mind losing to, honestly, their biggest rival--Wisconsin.
Honestly...I don't really remember losing to Nebraska...2014 was a long time ago. Wisconsin...I hate those guys...but at the same time I have respect for the program. They act like they have been there before, if you know what I mean...and they tend to respect their opponents. Nebraska and their delusional fans do neither.

It's amazing to me that Iowa fans don't seem to mind losing to, honestly, their biggest rival--Wisconsin.
It's because they're a rival in name only over the last decade. A rivalry needs to be close record wise. Being 1-8 since 2010 kind of promotes the "well we know Wisconsin is a loss" type thinking so we accept it to avoid the heart ache of yet another Wisconsin beat down. Hopefully we get to 2-8 for the decade

It's because they're a rival in name only over the last decade. A rivalry needs to be close record wise. Being 1-8 since 2010 kind of promotes the "well we know Wisconsin is a loss" type thinking so we accept it to avoid the heart ache of yet another Wisconsin beat down. Hopefully we get to 2-8 for the decade
I'm a pretty competitive person by nature. I hate accepting a loss from a team that is usually marginally better. Even last year. I don't accept it like some of you. I want to win. I want to crush Nebby and beat Wisky. Iowa rarely gets "beat down" by UW. There's been a few but it's usually in the final minutes.

Prior to more recent history, WI was Iowa’s bitch for a lot of years. Their biggest enemy, their most hated coach, was none other than Hayden Fry. Those days will return sooner than you think, along with NW.

Prior to more recent history, WI was Iowa’s bitch for a lot of years. Their biggest enemy, their most hated coach, was none other than Hayden Fry. Those days will return sooner than you think, along with NW.
Hayden used to recruit heavily in Wisconsin. Mark Bortz, Tom Nichol, Jay Norvell, Mike Saunders, John Derby.

Mel Cole, who he inherited, was from Racine. Wisconsin's athletic director in the seventies and early eighties was the NFL Hall of Famer Elroy "Crazy legs" Hirsch. It turned out his mouth was as crazy as his legs. He hated Fry. Thought he recruited illegally. Was constantly threatening to turn him in to the league offices. Jim Zabel once had him on for his halftime show during a game in Madison and Hirsch started ripping on Fry before Zabel was even able to ask him a question.

Hayden used to recruit heavily in Wisconsin. Mark Bortz, Tom Nichol, Jay Norvell, Mike Saunders, John Derby.

Mel Cole, who he inherited, was from Racine. Wisconsin's athletic director in the seventies and early eighties was the NFL Hall of Famer Elroy "Crazy legs" Hirsch. It turned out his mouth was as crazy as his legs. He hated Fry. Thought he recruited illegally. Was constantly threatening to turn him in to the league offices. Jim Zabel once had him on for his halftime show during a game in Madison and Hirsch started ripping on Fry before Zabel was even able to ask him a question.
Re: Mel Cole.....he was from Elgin, IL. Todd Simonsen was from Racine.

Honestly...I don't really remember losing to Nebraska...2014 was a long time ago. Wisconsin...I hate those guys...but at the same time I have respect for the program. They act like they have been there before, if you know what I mean...and they tend to respect their opponents. Nebraska and their delusional fans do neither.

I think you nailed it. There's a very fine line between losing to a program that you respect and a program that you despise. I hate losing, but a loss to Wisconsin doesn't sting more than the others, because I have respect for what they've done as a program and what they've done to solidify themselves as the top team in the west. Nebby on the other hand stings so much more, because the program is irrelevant, the coach is a tool, and the fanbase is delusional.

Latest posts