Sucks, but finally found out I don't really care

floydvane

Nice sunny day on Saturday so I jumped on the bike at 11 and rode until 5:30, spent most of last Saturday out fishing. I have watched less then 1 quarter of the games this year and not really missed it at all and found this to be very different from the years past and not sure why. Until Saturday, it finally hit me.
I don't care if they win anymore...............and as I look at it, it all started with BF being handed a job he was not deserving of a few years ago, and it was not so much the OC job but this was just a stepping stone to be the next head coach and that make me want to puke.
With GB giving KF the lifetime contract (for the most part) the ONLY way thing are going to change is with losses. I haven't cheered for a loss yet but not going to lie it does make me smirk a bit. Have you ever tried getting into a game if you don't care about the outcome.
Hope this all changes in the near future but, I am 53 now and not holding my breath or wasting my Saturdays on it anymore, Hope this doesn't go on for 10 more years
God I hope there is a basketball season

rant over

Nice sunny day on Saturday so I jumped on the bike at 11 and rode until 5:30, spent most of last Saturday out fishing. I have watched less then 1 quarter of the games this year and not really missed it at all and found this to be very different from the years past and not sure why. Until Saturday, it finally hit me.
I don't care if they win anymore...............and as I look at it, it all started with BF being handed a job he was not deserving of a few years ago, and it was not so much the OC job but this was just a stepping stone to be the next head coach and that make me want to puke.
With GB giving KF the lifetime contract (for the most part) the ONLY way thing are going to change is with losses. I haven't cheered for a loss yet but not going to lie it does make me smirk a bit. Have you ever tried getting into a game if you don't care about the outcome.
Hope this all changes in the near future but, I am 53 now and not holding my breath or wasting my Saturdays on it anymore, Hope this doesn't go on for 10 more years

rant over
With the temperatures they are talking about for this Saturday you may have weather nice enough for golfing, if not boating.

Unfortunately I feel the same way.

I have never been a Ferentz supporter as I firmly believe that Iowa performed a self-inflicted poop finger by missing out on Bob Stoops. We all have heard the stories over the years about Stoops wanting the job but BB wanting to hold one last interview before a decision could be made. One coach went on to have a national championship while the other has had a lifetime contract gift wrapped while going 97-77 in conference play.

How Ferentz survived the racism claims is beyond my comprehension. How Ferentz has survived poor clock management, conservative play calling, and the obvious nepotism is ridiculous.

I'm ready for Mark Stoops to be the next head coach. Hell, I'd even take Bob Stoops as AD and Mark as HC. If we're going to pay a family then we might as well get results.

We all have heard the stories over the years about Stoops wanting the job but BB wanting to hold one last interview before a decision could be made.

I heard that Stoops had an exploding offer from Oklahoma and that it wasn't BB who cratered it, but rather a Committee of The Learned Gynocracy who wanted Iowa to focus more on academics and de-emphasize football. I know this might be heresy, but for our program and talent level, Ferentz was probably the better choice of the two.

rant over
Wish I could just turn it off like that. Sux I can’t. Try to but doesn’t work.

Wish I could just turn it off like that. Sux I can’t. Try to but doesn’t work.
Me too... I wouldn't be such a pissed off intolerable SOB the rest of the weekend otherwise. Like I've tempered my expectations down to where I'm not looking to run off coaches or bench the new QB yet or any of that. But during the game itself I'm a mess. I'm all in. But I get the situation the program is in and it is what it is with a new QB and many new defensive players in new roles. So just because I'm not waving a pitchfork marching on Bartas lawn doesn't mean during the games themselves that I'm not all in yelling at the refs players and coaches cause I still am...

As a student at UI in the 70's we had no expectations of wins. Thus, we were seldom disappointed. Any win was an upset and reason for celebration.
Starting to feel like that this season.....

Good Riddance. Please...you obviously aren't a fan and don't feel a sense of loyalty to the University. I enjoyed my time at Iowa, met great people, and was fortunate to be there when Hayden took over...so I saw the excitement of what a winning program could bring. I'll support all the athletic programs till I die. Is there disappointment at times, do I disagree with direction at times, yes...and yes...but never have I not wanted to watch them play football or basketball. It's in my DNA now.

Good Riddance. Please...you obviously aren't a fan and don't feel a sense of loyalty to the University. I enjoyed my time at Iowa, met great people, and was fortunate to be there when Hayden took over...so I saw the excitement of what a winning program could bring. I'll support all the athletic programs till I die. Is there disappointment at times, do I disagree with direction at times, yes...and yes...but never have I not wanted to watch them play football or basketball. It's in my DNA now.
Please don't falsely characterize me...
I have been a Hawk fan since the 60's.
I made no "disloyal" statements.
I never said I did not want to watch or support the Hawks.
I commented on expectations.

It was what it was then...
And feels like that again.

Every season....well almost every season I reach a point of insanity where I have to detach. Mid week I decide I just can't do this to myself anymore and I'll find something else to do. I did that in 2017 the game was OSU. I did it in 2009, when Iowa won in Madison, over and over again, I get to a point of total frustration with the offense and I just don't watch.

Nobody said they weren’t supporting the Hawks. Someone saying they aren’t ready to slit their wrists after two losses is a whole lot different than what you’re implying. Not caring about wins/losses in this ridiculous farce of a season (the NCAA has quite literally said it doesn’t count) is the rational viewpoint to take. Yours—one of fabricated outrage—is the real idiocy here.

I heard that Stoops had an exploding offer from Oklahoma and that it wasn't BB who cratered it, but rather a Committee of The Learned Gynocracy who wanted Iowa to focus more on academics and de-emphasize football. I know this might be heresy, but for our program and talent level, Ferentz was probably the better choice of the two.
Yes. I knew someone who to literally his dying day had the specific name of the person almost single handedly responsible for Iowa and Stoops not being able to put it together. He may have been full of shit but, given this individual's background and past position (which was within the University, no less), I can't rule out him being on the money.

That said...I have to agree with your assessment that, for all the ups and downs we've been through in the last 20+ years, Ferentz was likely the better fit. Stoops I think would have either struggled OR ridden the first wave of success out of town. If you want to debate who Iowa would have hypothetically hired of they had hypothetically been able to land Stoops and he hypothetically jumped town after he hypothetically had a good season, go for it...but it makes my head hurt.

Very easy to look at Stoops' Oklahoma record and say "that should be us!", but Iowa ain't Oklahoma.

rant over
I have mixed results about your post. My first thought is "what a shame that you don't care anymore." It's rough when expectations are high and wins are low. Did we (and the media too) hype ourselves up too much? Just remember, this is 2020 and nothing is normal. We (and other schools too) were pretty much screwed out of meaningful practice time and non-conf. games. Yeah, losing sucks, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Its possible we could still salvage the season, to a degree. Be thankful this year, that we even have football.

On the other hand, I would be lying if I said I also didn't have EXTREMELY bad feelings and thoughts about Iowa football. When such things happen, I file them away and look forward to basketball season. Stay balanced and faithful floydbane.

I feel this year doesnt seem to have the juice as other Iowa football seasons have. First we were having a season, then not, then yes we were starting Oct 24th, what late october. And we are not sure which players on which teams are playing or if teams are playing. Doesnt feel the same or feel right. I am looking at the hawks this year at individual players and for improvement.

Me too... I wouldn't be such a pissed off intolerable SOB the rest of the weekend otherwise. Like I've tempered my expectations down to where I'm not looking to run off coaches or bench the new QB yet or any of that. But during the game itself I'm a mess. I'm all in. But I get the situation the program is in and it is what it is with a new QB and many new defensive players in new roles. So just because I'm not waving a pitchfork marching on Bartas lawn doesn't mean during the games themselves that I'm not all in yelling at the refs players and coaches cause I still am...
My frustration level is about full with the Ferentzes conservative football. Not quite at the don't care stage but it's getting close.

My frustration level is about full with the Ferentzes conservative football. Not quite at the don't care stage but it's getting close.

Its hard to get fired up about Kirk and Brian going forward. They have shown beyond doubt over the last 3+ seasons that regardless of talent level and experience they can't field a good offense. We're talking about Cash positions/5 DB base sets and RB taking direct snaps this season. Teams have been doing that for over a decade.

I care plenty, it is just that I don't let most losses bother me to the degree that they used to. Years ago, I let every loss eat at me until the following Wednesday or Thursday. I still look back at certain losses and grind my teeth, like '85 at OSU, 2002 ISU, and 2015 B1G championship, but those games had big consequences as far as National Championship hopes go.

Every season, I hope that it will all come together and I stay amped up until B1G and National championship hopes are gone. I still watch every game and cheer, but if a loss means they go to the Alamo Bowl instead of the Outback, I am not going to stress about it.

This season is the extreme. As many have said, it doesn't really matter and will always be marked with an asterisk. All of the turmoil surrounding the team and coaches and starting out 0-2 has further lessened the luster.

I graduated from the U in 1976 and it has been more than 30 since I lived in Iowa. Every year for the past decade it seems I become less and less interested in Iowa sports. With the Chinese virus screwing up the schedule and taking Iowa football off the BTN feed, at least where I now live, the Brian nepotism and the allegations of racism on the part of the staff, I really don't care. Have many other things to do with my Saturdays. Haven't watched one second of the first two games or commented in game threads, and I don't plan to the rest of the way.

Not sure whether I'll watch any hoops, either, although I think Fran has a pretty good team this season.

Latest posts