Successful tailgate run-through last night

DocFGH

Last night, my brother-in-law and I drove down to Kinnick to set up our new system for our tailgate. Happy to inform, all went as planned with only a few hiccups along the way. We have a Sony Bravia 46" LCD with DirecTV box. Slimeline 5 LNB attached to a SIX FOOT weighted tripod for maximum signal. Avoids those pesky pedestrians as well. Nice Yamaha Receiver and 300W Polk Sub in the back. Spunds tight, picture is incredible. Looking to get our spot on Friday night right at the southwest corner of the stadium in the K/C lot.

Anyone else do anything similar before the season. My wife, while she appreciates the effort you know, still thinks I'm insane. But we have to be ready just like the players have to be ready, right? Anyway, we get about 3 trucks together, have a great spread, couple of tents and of course the TV/stereo and plenty of cold beverages. Anyone is welcome to stop by. But if you don't love it, leave it. USA #1!!!

I am kind of a nerd, and Im ok with that lol. It does set up nice. I was just curious who else goes out and practices tailgating. The looks we got in the lot, as well as comments from some of my friends, suggest it is not a common occurrence.

This is equal parts hilarious and pathetic. And yes, that's the envy talking. I would have liked to have seen pics of one vehicle set up for tailgating in a mostly empty lot in front of a totally empty Kinnick.

I salute your preparation and attention to detail (though it's very anal retentive)!

I should have taken a pic, as it was pretty hilarious and pathetic. A lot of people were still getting off work , walking to their cars, and the see us Yahoos setting up a dish satellite and tv... A few of the campus clowns did acme drive by's as well. No doubt to make sure we were in compliance with all alcohol rules ( we had none) It was pretty comical. At first, I felt real uncomfortable, but then ewe settled in, focused in the work at hand, and got out.

Doc, any time that you get to see Kinnick and do some warm ups I am a ok with that my friend. I say keep up the practice it makes perfect.

GO HAWKS

Last night, my brother-in-law and I drove down to Kinnick to set up our new system for our tailgate. Happy to inform, all went as planned with only a few hiccups along the way. We have a Sony Bravia 46" LCD with DirecTV box. Slimeline 5 LNB attached to a SIX FOOT weighted tripod for maximum signal. Avoids those pesky pedestrians as well. Nice Yamaha Receiver and 300W Polk Sub in the back. Spunds tight, picture is incredible. Looking to get our spot on Friday night right at the southwest corner of the stadium in the K/C lot.

Anyone else do anything similar before the season. My wife, while she appreciates the effort you know, still thinks I'm insane. But we have to be ready just like the players have to be ready, right? Anyway, we get about 3 trucks together, have a great spread, couple of tents and of course the TV/stereo and plenty of cold beverages. Anyone is welcome to stop by. But if you don't love it, leave it. USA #1!!!

The only suggestion I have for you is to lose the Slimline dish and buy a VuQube from King Controls. It would save you a ton of room in the truck and it automatically finds the sat signal in about 30 seconds.

Sounds like a sweet setup, I'll look for you, should be pretty obvious when I find it!

As for me the only tailgating prep I'm doing is dumbell curls every morning at 5:30, got to get my arms in shape, don't want to come up lame after the first few brews!

Couldn't you have just set up in your backyard? Why drive to Kinnick? That's why the call us "fans"......short for "fanatic".

Sounds like a sweet setup though.

I think it's great that you do a "practice" run. I do the exact same thing each year they have the Kid's Day practice. I will be leaving Des Moines at 4am tomorrow morning and going to a friend's place in IC to have our "practice" tailgate. It's a great time to try out new recipes and tailgating accessories before the big crowd shows up.

That's great!!! Awesome!!!
Are they still going to allow you to set up tents while tailgating? I figured they would make us all sit on our tailgates in an appropriate manner while singing songs.....

i think everyone that tailgates should put a big sign up that says their screenname on here...that way we all know who is who. i will wear a nametag, lol

Couldn't you have just set up in your backyard? Why drive to Kinnick? That's why the call us "fans"......short for "fanatic".

Sounds like a sweet setup though.

How would you know if youre tv wwas going to work unless you were on site?

Seeing the name of this thread, I expected it to be some lame report by some teenager or want to be teenager about their 24 hour bout of drinking. I was pleasantly surprised to see it was actually a report of something more interesting. Nice work Doc.

Jealous.

How much did the Satellite setup run ya?
What time you throw the flesh on the grill and what do you want me to bring :)

Latest posts