Story: Bakari Evelyn Not Concerned w/ Competing Against Connor McCaffery

If Wieskamp is quick enough to guard 3s, he's quick enough to guard most 2s. There is virtually no difference between the two on most teams.

10-15 years ago I would have disagreed with this. Not now, basketball has become more and more of a positionless sport. I know it is trendy to say that, but it is accurate.

I'd suggest Fran should have been on it earlier, period. If the loss of one player blows up your team, you're clearly too thin at that position. (Something that's been discussed ad nauseam)

It's not uncommon for the loss of one player to blow up a team.

A few things I do not know but hope to find out when we have media availability with Iowa basketball sometime this summer are:

1. Did Isaiah Moss know that Bohannon would potentially miss the season before he decided to leave?

2. When did Fran learn that Bohannon was considering surgery leading to how long he knew he would need to fill that potential void?

It's not uncommon for the loss of one player to blow up a team.

Sure, it can happen. But when it happens at a position that has been clearly understaffed for awhile and yet, not addressed... it's more than just bad luck. It's poor planning. Give yourself a slim margin for error...you're asking to get burned.

Rob's questions above are key. It's hard to imagine JB's injury came out of nowhere and IM's discontent blindsided him. Not to mention that the operating theory is that IM's minutes were going to decline due to CJF.

Last edited:
A few things I do not know but hope to find out when we have media availability with Iowa basketball sometime this summer are:

1. Did Isaiah Moss know that Bohannon would potentially miss the season before he decided to leave?

2. When did Fran learn that Bohannon was considering surgery leading to how long he knew he would need to fill that potential void?

These are the two key questions that I think every Iowa fan wants answered, but will we ever get that answer? If Moss knew of the JBo situation and still transferred then either he truly felt like Iowa had zero chance to be good next year to be successful. Which would be a failure on Frans part to convince Moss to stay. And then waiting to jump in on grad transfer PGs would also be a failure on Frans part.

The reason that I think that Moss wasn't aware is that if it was known that JBo would need surgery then why wouldn't they have scheduled surgery for earlier. Maybe it had to do with waiting until classes were done. I think the Pemsl injury issue of last year when surgery was put off until after the season started was mismanaged. So it also wouldn't surprise me if Fran mismanaged this JBo injury.

Asking these questions will get you the death stare and a curt reply. Just be prepared.

I'd suggest Fran should have been on it earlier, period. If the loss of one player blows up your team, you're clearly too thin at that position. (Something that's been discussed ad nauseam)
Certainly can't argue this, especially the ad nauseum part. A big topic of discussion all last summer and off-season was that our roster was overstocked with bigs. Fran was counting on Connor to be JBo insurance. Now Connor really has to come through. He had his moments. He will need to be counted on to shoot and facilitate with consistency next year.

I got in touch with Isaiah and asked if he knew Bohannon was going to have surgery and potentially miss next season.

He said: “No. I had no idea.”

Certainly can't argue this, especially the ad nauseum part. A big topic of discussion all last summer and off-season was that our roster was overstocked with bigs. Fran was counting on Connor to be JBo insurance. Now Connor really has to come through. He had his moments. He will need to be counted on to shoot and facilitate with consistency next year.

Bingo, he'd better shoot a hell of a lot better than last yr!

These are the two key questions that I think every Iowa fan wants answered, but will we ever get that answer? If Moss knew of the JBo situation and still transferred then either he truly felt like Iowa had zero chance to be good next year to be successful. Which would be a failure on Frans part to convince Moss to stay. And then waiting to jump in on grad transfer PGs would also be a failure on Frans part.

The reason that I think that Moss wasn't aware is that if it was known that JBo would need surgery then why wouldn't they have scheduled surgery for earlier. Maybe it had to do with waiting until classes were done. I think the Pemsl injury issue of last year when surgery was put off until after the season started was mismanaged. So it also wouldn't surprise me if Fran mismanaged this JBo injury.

I would say if Moss knew and still left, it was because of hard feelings with the Connor situation. I also think having surgery is a lot harder of a decision when it's you that's having the surgery. I think the head coach can give his opinion on 5he matter, but it's not even close to his choice.

Surgery or conservative care is all about the patient and doctor... the coach really has little say in it. If you read JBo's comments, they wanted to be sure it wasn't a hip pointer before they did surgery. Doctor determines that - not a coach. In Pemsl's situation, I think he kept hoping the pain would somewhat subside by the beginning of the season... I'd be willing to bet he's played with some sort of pain (or flare ups of pain) since they installed the hardware and pretty much ignored it. When the pain either flared up or didn't subside he probably had a doctor look at it and decided to remove the plate - especially with TC playing the same position - probably made it an easier decision. Personally having to have dealt with a bad knee since I was 14 and finally having knee replacement 38 years later... I can understand how easy it is to ignore the "normal" pain. The pain or stability almost has to "act" different before it gets your attention.

Last edited:
Look....reality is that Iowa must land BE just for depth purposes..CJ playing 30+ mpg is something I don’t want to see.. not saying CJ can’t do ok but he redshirted last year for a reason and he might need a couple more years before he is truly ready for starter minutes.

As for BE and Moss...Moss averaged 10 ppg vs BIG competition...BE average 8ppg vs MVC..on a bad team.

BE would certainly be better than nothing and Fran has to land him or we are in some trouble..

Who are you starting at the 3?
Patrick. 3 seems to be his natural position until he fills out and can perhaps play a stretch 4. I suspect he may stay on the wing even when he does gain weight.

Rob, this isn't a dig on you, but I am rather astounded at the level of disrespect Patrick recieves on this Board. How many (barely) Top 40 programs have a consensus Top 100/4 star kid come in, in a position and a year of need, and many fans think he should be on the bench or red shirt? I get that he is thin, but he has a unique skill set and I think will be ready to contribute appreciably, if not start, from day 1.

Moss may have transferer's remorse. He transfers to Arkansas, then they bring in another transfer who may eat into his time, the pt he really cherished and left Iowa for.

He leaves Iowa, perhaps not even knowing J Bo was going to be out this year with the hip.

Wow that might suck for IM if all true.

Moss may have transferer's remorse. He transfers to Arkansas, then they bring in another transfer who may eat into his time, the pt he really cherished and left Iowa for.

He leaves Iowa, perhaps not even knowing J Bo was going to be out this year with the hip.

Wow that might suck for IM if all true.

I read some comments on another site this morning from a poster that observed practices this past season. If these observations turn out to be true, I think Moss saw the writing on the wall. Specifically, even fewer minutes for him. This poster made another comment that "CJ Fredrick was carving Moss up in practice." Great comments on Nunge too.

"I've had the chance to see them in practice this past year. I would compare Jack to more skilled version of Michael Jacobsen. I think the bar was set unreasonably high for him as a true freshman following a dominant Prime Time performance. He initially started over Garza. Big men typically take a year or two to develop at the college level. Adam Woodbury averaged 4.9 ppg and 4.8 rpg as a freshman and his senior year nearly doubled those. Jared Reiner averaged 3 and 3 his first two years and was at 10 and 8 his last two. We also all saw the tremendous development of Kriener last season while many wrote him off as a mid major player the offseason before. With Nunge's combination of size and shooting ability, he should be a double digit scorer for us.

Several point back to Fran's comments about Oglesby being the best shooter he's ever had in practice. Oglesby did have great shooting ability. He had two seasons where he shot near 40%. The problem was he couldn't create his own shot and better defenses pressured him unlike what he would see in practice where he got lots of open looks. I don't think Fran's words were untrue, it just rang hollow with fans frustrated by his 29% 3pt shooting his senior year. By contrast, from what I've seen from CJ, he looks like a much more complete player. His ball handling, passing and ability to get into the lane is superior to Moss and he shoots the ball just as well. I think next year his production will likely be comparable to Moss with a 7-9 ppg average. "

I read some comments on another site this morning from a poster that observed practices this past season. If these observations turn out to be true, I think Moss saw the writing on the wall. Specifically, even fewer minutes for him. This poster made another comment that "CJ Fredrick was carving Moss up in practice." Great comments on Nunge too.

"I've had the chance to see them in practice this past year. I would compare Jack to more skilled version of Michael Jacobsen. I think the bar was set unreasonably high for him as a true freshman following a dominant Prime Time performance. He initially started over Garza. Big men typically take a year or two to develop at the college level. Adam Woodbury averaged 4.9 ppg and 4.8 rpg as a freshman and his senior year nearly doubled those. Jared Reiner averaged 3 and 3 his first two years and was at 10 and 8 his last two. We also all saw the tremendous development of Kriener last season while many wrote him off as a mid major player the offseason before. With Nunge's combination of size and shooting ability, he should be a double digit scorer for us.

Several point back to Fran's comments about Oglesby being the best shooter he's ever had in practice. Oglesby did have great shooting ability. He had two seasons where he shot near 40%. The problem was he couldn't create his own shot and better defenses pressured him unlike what he would see in practice where he got lots of open looks. I don't think Fran's words were untrue, it just rang hollow with fans frustrated by his 29% 3pt shooting his senior year. By contrast, from what I've seen from CJ, he looks like a much more complete player. His ball handling, passing and ability to get into the lane is superior to Moss and he shoots the ball just as well. I think next year his production will likely be comparable to Moss with a 7-9 ppg average. "
So, Fran is posting on another site?

So, Fran is posting on another site?

tenor.gif

Patrick. 3 seems to be his natural position until he fills out and can perhaps play a stretch 4. I suspect he may stay on the wing even when he does gain weight.

Rob, this isn't a dig on you, but I am rather astounded at the level of disrespect Patrick recieves on this Board. How many (barely) Top 40 programs have a consensus Top 100/4 star kid come in, in a position and a year of need, and many fans think he should be on the bench or red shirt? I get that he is thin, but he has a unique skill set and I think will be ready to contribute appreciably, if not start, from day 1.

It s the consensus part. Take away his last name. How much of the ranking had to do with with experts knowing:

1. He was going to be signed by A Big team.

2. He is going to get minutes immediately.

He nor bro pass the eye test.

I can tell you that neither P or C are better than the Finke brothers only the Finke s who were coached by dad in HS are much better fundamentally.

Nether were Big caliber on good teams. All the older one really ever did was torch Iowa, Nebby, and Rutgers.

He’s the coach’s kid so unless he has zero flaws, every one he does have will be over analyzed and picked apart.

Fran has been quoted as saying PM might red shirt so that’s where that’s coming from. I think he plays this season.

He’s a 3, IMO, who can play 4 in a smaller lineup. JW is a 3 who can play 2. I think 3 is the best position for both right now.

JW is going to play as many minutes as he can handle. Let’s hope his late-season back troubles don’t linger. Backs are tricky.

He’ll be at the 2 when PM is in and at the 3 when CJF is in. PM could start with JW at the 2 or CJF could start with JW at the 3.

Evelyn could bounce between the 1 and 2. I don’t see CJF at the 1, but maybe spot minutes.

He’s the coach’s kid so unless he has zero flaws, every one he does have will be over analyzed and picked apart.

Fran has been quoted as saying PM might red shirt so that’s where that’s coming from. I think he plays this season.

He’s a 3, IMO, who can play 4 in a smaller lineup. JW is a 3 who can play 2. I think 3 is the best position for both right now.

JW is going to play as many minutes as he can handle. Let’s hope his late-season back troubles don’t linger. Backs are tricky.

He’ll be at the 2 when PM is in and at the 3 when CJF is in. PM could start with JW at the 2 or CJF could start with JW at the 3.

Evelyn could bounce between the 1 and 2. I don’t see CJF at the 1, but maybe spot minutes.

This is pretty much how I see it as well. JW will play as much as possible flipping between the wing spots depending on who else is in the game.

Pat will most likely start his Iowa career at the 3 while playing spot minutes at the 4. Depending on how his body develops and what the rest of the roster looks like, I could see that flipping to more minutes at the 4 by the end of his career like Uthoff.