Story: Bakari Evelyn Not Concerned w/ Competing Against Connor McCaffery

Yes.

If we land Evelyn, it likely gives us three guards (Joe T. and CJ also) that have the ability to get by their man from the perimeter. Last season, we didn’t have one, including Moss. Wieskamp did it a few times and I’m hoping he’ll do it more as he becomes a larger part of the offense. It amazes me we were as efficient as we were on offense. IMHO, guards like Joe T and Evelyn (and hopefully CJ) cause fits for the defense. As soon as that initial breakdown occurs and they get past their man, all kinds of options open up. I, for one, hope the days of watching guys handing off around the perimeter are gone, or at least greatly lessened.
Hopfully, Evelyn comes to Iowa next year. They should be a fun team to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with the two 6 ft 11 or 7 ft guys they will have down low next year. Toussaint should have a lot of fun too.

Iowa has two point guards in Connor McCaffery and Joe Toussaint. It has one shooting guard in CJ Fredrick.
I consider JW a shooting guard. He can play the 2 or the 3, and if I had to bet my own pennies, I bet he slides to the starting 2 position next year.....

Two thoughts.

1) While this guy may not be a program changer, this is damn near a must get for Fran. He provides depth in the exact places we need it. If this guy can come in and provide 15 quality minutes off the bench, he is worth the scholly. With him, we would have a legit 10-man rotation that is relatively balanced.

2) Trading him for Moss is a tough one. Moss is a better talent it appears. But, the optimistic side of me hopes that Moss moving on may allow Iowa to take a step forward. We have been chasing consistent scoring from the 2 position ever since Jok left. For whatever reason, Moss never provided that. I am hoping that a combination of JW, Frederick, and this young man can provide more productivity for the wing.

77676-Space-Jam-Elmer-Fudd-Slam-Dunk-Gif-Imgur-Tumblr.gif

Fighting with other mid-level programs for a declining player from Valparaiso. Sounds like a contract extension bullet.
To be fair, this became a more dire situation when it was announced that Bohannon would have a potential season ending surgery. We need an experienced body in that backcourt and most grad transfers have already been spoken for. Fran can no longer be a chooser, he has to be a beggar. Wiescamp isn't quick enough to guard twos and the jury will be out on CJ until we see him in live game action.

To be fair, this became a more dire situation when it was announced that Bohannon would have a potential season ending surgery. We need an experienced body in that backcourt and most grad transfers have already been spoken for. Fran can no longer be a chooser, he has to be a beggar. Wiescamp isn't quick enough to guard twos and the jury will be out on CJ until we see him in live game action.
Concur mostly but I think Wieskamp can cover two guards.

If Wieskamp is quick enough to guard 3s, he's quick enough to guard most 2s. There is virtually no difference between the two on most teams.

I'd suggest Fran should have been on it earlier, period. If the loss of one player blows up your team, you're clearly too thin at that position. (Something that's been discussed ad nauseam)