Still can't finish

Wisconsin was starting to really dig in around the five, six minute mark.

Defenders were navigating screens properly, rotation was flawless, we were sideways and settling.

That play Davison made to deflect post entry to Garza was epic.

Davison, Iverson, and Pritzl were frequently defending Cook amd Garza in the post and holding their own.

We had two breakdowns that stick out.
1) Dailey forgets were in man, doesn't get around screen, Trice hits three at shot clock expiration.

2) Wiescamp doubles post, Pritzl hits three.

I don't think Iowa lost, Wisconsin just imposed their will. Even if Bohannon hits that three and we go up four, I think Wisconsin still comes back.

They're used to winning games like that. We're still learning.
Coaches that understand and teach the benefits of playing defense, typically have teams that dig in on defense with 4 or 5 minutes to play. I've always said this and it's why I always argue against the opinion that Fran has had good defenses here at Iowa. Throw out your Adjusted Defensive Efficiency Rankings and show me the stops in close games, against top competition. That's the difference in BIG titles and deep tourney runs vs the middle of the pack teams.
We'll see how this team responds and judge from there.

Iowa played good enough defense to win this game, but in the end the open 3s just didn't go down. It's not like Iowa's players were taking forced or contested 3s -- I can't think of a single 3 that was seriously contested...they just missed shots on their home floor. Obviously, the biggest mistake at the end which probably cost Iowa the game was when the Hawks were up 61-60, Happ starting to drive the lane, Wieskamp doubled down and left his man wide open for Happ to find him and a 3pter and they are suddenly up 2 and never lost the lead again. I'm a bit puzzled why, in those situations, Iowa's defenders aren't instructed to play 'Hack-A-Shaq' with Happ. Yes, it's another foul on you, but egads, with 2 min left the game is on the line there and Happ was what, 1 of 4 FTs on the night? Wieskamp just can't come off his man there -- a rookie mistake that hopefully he'll learn from. But, reality is when Iowa shoots 25% from 3 for the game, it will be tough to win any game in this conference. Interestingly, Wisky was one of the few BTen teams Iowa will be able to play M2M this year, because they don't have guards who can penetrate -- that's why this was such an important game to win. Iowa will be forced to play zone for most games from here on out -- beginning with Sparty -- and we saw last night what happens when a good team gets zoned: they eat you up. I remember Iowa playing zone twice last night and Wisky nailed 3 pters both times with ease.
Iowa's shooting percentages, fundamental defense, late game decision making, in game coaching ability...drifting down to the mean/average of FranBall. Just takes time.

Coaches that understand and teach the benefits of playing defense, typically have teams that dig in on defense with 4 or 5 minutes to play. I've always said this and it's why I always argue against the opinion that Fran has had good defenses here at Iowa. Throw out your Adjusted Defensive Efficiency Rankings and show me the stops in close games, against top competition. That's the difference in BIG titles and deep tourney runs vs the middle of the pack teams.
We'll see how this team responds and judge from there.
True in most sports, separating winners from average...not how many, but when.

Game coulda gone either way the Badgers just hit some monster 3s when they needed them the most. Iowa had an 8 point lead and then didn't score for 5 straight minutes .
#elitepointguard

I didn't see any of our kids nail a 3 when we needed one like the Wisconsin kids did

Iowa's shooting percentages, fundamental defense, late game decision making, in game coaching ability...drifting down to the mean/average of FranBall. Just takes time.
Yep. This is why I think Fran should have actually hired a defensive coach for his staff, rather than bring him in for a month. That's what Beilein did and the results are obvious. We are playing better defense than we did last year but without that person on staff as a constant reminder, I think it's likely they revert back to the mean/average of Fran ball. And that will be a shame. If it comes to pass.

Yep. This is why I think Fran should have actually hired a defensive coach for his staff, rather than bring him in for a month. That's what Beilein did and the results are obvious. We are playing better defense than we did last year but without that person on staff as a constant reminder, I think it's likely they revert back to the mean/average of Fran ball. And that will be a shame. If it comes to pass.
Concur...perhaps the announcers can suggest it on air.

Wisconsin was starting to really dig in around the five, six minute mark.

Defenders were navigating screens properly, rotation was flawless, we were sideways and settling.

That play Davison made to deflect post entry to Garza was epic.

We had two breakdowns that stick out.
1) Dailey forgets were in man, doesn't get around screen, Trice hits three at shot clock expiration.

2) Wiescamp doubles post, Pritzl hits three.

I don't think Iowa lost, Wisconsin just imposed their will. Even if Bohannon hits that three and we go up four, I think Wisconsin still comes back.

They're used to winning games like that. We're still learning.
Didn't You just feel as the game went on that Wisconsin would win a close one in the end? Just Iowa Basketball
sadly, yes.

I dunno. Try something different? Like instead of deflating the ball with a minute and a half to just run your offense.

Shrinking possessions by putting pressure on your offense to do something with 8 seconds on the shot clock has not worked.

New "Coach Fran" coaching videos?

"How to Close The Deal"

"Defense Wins Championships"

"How to Recruit Top Level PGs"

"Successful Contract Renegotiating While Doing Lots of Losing"

"How to Blame Broadcasters for Team Failure"

"Keeping Your Cool Under Pressure"

"How to Safely Use Anti-Psychotic Medications During The Season"

"How to Coach Defensive Fundamentals - and Win!"

"How to Manipulate a Weak AD"

Regression to the mean. It was a great 6 game start but there will likely be more Wisconsin-type games to come. By the time we get through the Big Ten schedule, I would expect us to be evenly split in wins and losses. The Big Ten is as solid and competitive from top to bottom as any other conference. Hopefully the SOS gets us an invite to the big dance.

New "Coach Fran" coaching videos?

"How to Close The Deal"

"Defense Wins Championships"

"How to Recruit Top Level PGs"

"Successful Contract Renegotiating While Doing Lots of Losing"

"How to Blame Broadcasters for Team Failure"

"Keeping Your Cool Under Pressure"

"How to Safely Use Anti-Psychotic Medications During The Season"

"How to Coach Defensive Fundamentals - and Win!"

"How to Manipulate a Weak AD - Foreward by Kirk Ferentz"
FIFY

Regression to the mean. It was a great 6 game start but there will likely be more Wisconsin-type games to come. By the time we get through the Big Ten schedule, I would expect us to be evenly split in wins and losses. The Big Ten is as solid and competitive from top to bottom as any other conference. Hopefully the SOS gets us an invite to the big dance.
.500 in the Big Ten would be nice, I wonder what the odds would be that Iowa accomplishes this. They are a fragile lot, historically, we will see how they handle adversity.

Explain to me the M2M at the end where Jordan leaves his man to help DT the post leaving his man wide open for the dagger three. Why? A two is less than three. Discipline, this team is sorely in need of it. The effort was there, by most of the guys, it just feels like their going to a gunfight with a knife.

It was Joe who helped on Happ, not Jordan. Point stands though. Contested two harder than wide open three.

It was Joe who helped on Happ, not Jordan. Point stands though. Contested two harder than wide open three.
My bad I was sitting the other side of the court, Jordon, Jo, and Conner look a lot alike from a distance. A freshman mistake is much easier to forgive.

My bad I was sitting the other side of the court, Jordon, Jo, and Conner look a lot alike from a distance. A freshman mistake is much easier to forgive.

No worries. I have said for a while that I think the Hawkeyes 'overhelp' (is that a word) on defense to give up open shots. Joe tried to make a play and it didn't work out.

Game announcers confused Joe and Connor more than once.

It brought back memories of the 1989 game at Chapel Hill when Davis sold out to crashing the offensive boards. When Horton, Marble, and Ray Thompson crashed it was hard to tell them apart.

Was hilarious when Happ fouled out with 45 seconds, and the announcer said how "massive" that was.
I loled.
Absolutely zero bearing on the outcome of the game.
We needed to get it to OT. Then it would have been "massive"

Happ doesn't need to score big to impact a game. He can pass. And he can screen.

They would have missed him.

On another subject. Brevin Prtizl was quoted in The Wisconsin State Journal as saying the calls weren't in their favor, and they had to play through the officiating.

Prtizl got away with three seconds in the lane all night. Stay away from the pot when your the kettle.

We needed to get it to OT. Then it would have been "massive"

Happ doesn't need to score big to impact a game. He can pass. And he can screen.

They would have missed him.

On another subject. Brevin Prtizl was quoted in The Wisconsin State Journal as saying the calls weren't in their favor, and they had to play through the officiating.

Prtizl got away with three seconds in the lane all night. Stay away from the pot when your the kettle.
Ya, I was counting the seconds on several of their players and I got up to 5 a couple of times. Is it even a thing anymore, it's never called?