Still can't finish

Wisconsin was just as pitiful as us in the first half on offense but yet we were so bad too we couldn’t even build a lead and put this team away . What a dreadful performance .

Ehh.. defense was good enough for the most part... someone has to make fucking shots.

Shit gets old. Shooting a basketball is not as hard as we make it.

If you call letting guys having open lanes to the basket over and over again defense. Fran should have went back to the zone and played the odds. We lost doing it his way. Clear lanes to the basket. Slow guards never have any business playing man to man. Simply put Fran is a victim of his own making (recruiting).

Dolf was right and everyone knows it.

Improved intensity might keep them in games, but these guys still can't finish.
Bummer.

Iowa played a poor first half, looked clumsly, forced the ball on offense and some stupid turnovers, didnt look smooth offensively. Wisky had a little bit to do with it but wtf with turnovers, forced plays and bad passes.

Defense was pretty good and I didnt imagine I would be saying that 2 months ago. Wisky guards just made some lights out 3 pointers that are hard to defend

Who are we going to go to at the end?
Cook?
He'll get triple teamed, and end up either throwing up a terrible shot, or shooting FTs.
Both of which will result in zero points.

Maybe Weiskamp can be the guy at the end with the ball to create a shot when he gets more experience.
He might have that in him.

Toward the end of the game the Iowa players were jacking up three pointers trying to be the hero when Wisconsin had a bunch of players with four fouls. The coaches should of drawn up plays to put pressure on those Wisconsin players. They could of had some easy layups or free throws with the possibility of fouling out some players. The coaches should have some control over their players and how to end the game. It wasn't very pretty. Of course, if they would of made the three pointers it would of been different.

The defense was pretty good tonight. And it was M2M.

Now the question is, “do they practice shooting?”
Explain to me the M2M at the end where Jordan leaves his man to help DT the post leaving his man wide open for the dagger three. Why? A two is less than three. Discipline, this team is sorely in need of it. The effort was there, by most of the guys, it just feels like their going to a gunfight with a knife.

That was the killer stretch. That's where Wisconsin won the game.
I thought we lost the game when Gard down 8 started posting up our guards, then we went down and failed to score on 4 consecutive possessions. Fran didn't do anything to stop Wisky until they had tied the game. The M2M was OK at times but Happ went on a stretch where he shredded the D which kept them in the game and then they started posting us up. No counter move by Fran until it was too late on both. Fran's use of Garza tonight was criminal.

I thought we lost the game when Gard down 8 started posting up our guards, then we went down and failed to score on 4 consecutive possessions. Fran didn't do anything to stop Wisky until they had tied the game. The M2M was OK at times but Happ went on a stretch where he shredded the D which kept them in the game and then they started posting us up. No counter move by Fran until it was too late on both. Fran's use of Garza tonight was criminal.
We're probably talking about the same stretch. It cost us.

Toward the end of the game the Iowa players were jacking up three pointers trying to be the hero when Wisconsin had a bunch of players with four fouls. The coaches should of drawn up plays to put pressure on those Wisconsin players. They could of had some easy layups or free throws with the possibility of fouling out some players. The coaches should have some control over their players and how to end the game. It wasn't very pretty. Of course, if they would of made the three pointers it would of been different.
Pound it inside. Challenge foul trouble. I was screaming for it.

We finally get a crew that calls Wisconsin's grabs and bumps and chuck's and can't take advantage of it.

Gard had midsize players like Pritzl, Davison and Iverson guarding our bigs. Davison made a monumental play deflect Cook's post feed to Garza.

Greg Gard, from Cobb, Wisconsin. Population 458. Starts his coaching career as an assistant at Southwestern in Hazel Green, WI.

Thoroughly outcoaches Fran, the city slicker from Philly and former Division One player nicknamed "White Magic"

Philly is known for booing Santa Claus.

Cobb is best known as a place to get bait and fishing tips for catching bass at nearby Black Hawk State Park.

That area is actually a bit of a coaching cradle. Gard's brother Jeff is HC at UW Platteville. Local high school legend Jeff Pustina (Cuba City girls) is from nearby Highland. Another local legend, Barneveld's Jim Meyers, is from Barneveld (Nebraska's Hannah Whitish) Dick Bennett got his coaching start at nearby Mineral Point in the 1960's.

Last edited:
It's pretty rare to have a game where everything works, so I'm willing to cut the team some slack.

We are improved, there is no doubt about that, but, this team is still learning how to lock in and be mentally tough. That was the difference last night. As others have pointed out, when we should have been putting pressure on Wisconsin down low, several players just kept chucking up 3s. That's especially grievous when you look at the foul trouble they were in.

And, give credit to Wisconsin. Some of those shots were absolutely clutch, and they swished every foul shot at the end as well. We didn't even come close to matching their intensity and grit at the end.

The other thing I'll point out is that we are a better team when McCaffery and Wieskamp are on the floor.

Bohannon has taken a big step back and remains a major defensive liability. Moss has no reason to be playing if he's not hitting shots. He has nothing else to offer. Perhaps what is most concerning is that neither player is making veteran decisions out there: ill-timed forced shots and poor ball security is not something you should be seeing from your veterans.

Two different programs, two different philosophies, two different sets of coaches, two different ADs, with different sets of expectations, going in different directions, one program expects greatness, the other program suspends their announcer for saying things about the obvious differences in the programs.

It isn't that complicated.

Two different programs, two different philosophies, two different sets of coaches, two different ADs, with different sets of expectations, going in different directions, one program expects greatness, the other program suspends their announcer for saying things about the obvious differences in the programs.

It isn't that complicated.

Hey maybe we could steal Dean Oliver away from them? He might be able to help us recruit a point guard.

Was hilarious when Happ fouled out with 45 seconds, and the announcer said how "massive" that was.
I loled.
Absolutely zero bearing on the outcome of the game.

The FB program and BB program have something in common. In close games they under-perform.

The FB program and BB program have something in common. In close games they under-perform.
Self-fulfilling prophecy, leadership issue, goes from the top on down. Smoke and mirrors job preservation, insulated from any meaningful critical input from outside the "brotherhood" - that is, those who are milking off the cow.

Any critical input is processed as an attack on the kingdom.

Iowa played good enough defense to win this game, but in the end the open 3s just didn't go down. It's not like Iowa's players were taking forced or contested 3s -- I can't think of a single 3 that was seriously contested...they just missed shots on their home floor. Obviously, the biggest mistake at the end which probably cost Iowa the game was when the Hawks were up 61-60, Happ starting to drive the lane, Wieskamp doubled down and left his man wide open for Happ to find him and a 3pter and they are suddenly up 2 and never lost the lead again. I'm a bit puzzled why, in those situations, Iowa's defenders aren't instructed to play 'Hack-A-Shaq' with Happ. Yes, it's another foul on you, but egads, with 2 min left the game is on the line there and Happ was what, 1 of 4 FTs on the night? Wieskamp just can't come off his man there -- a rookie mistake that hopefully he'll learn from. But, reality is when Iowa shoots 25% from 3 for the game, it will be tough to win any game in this conference. Interestingly, Wisky was one of the few BTen teams Iowa will be able to play M2M this year, because they don't have guards who can penetrate -- that's why this was such an important game to win. Iowa will be forced to play zone for most games from here on out -- beginning with Sparty -- and we saw last night what happens when a good team gets zoned: they eat you up. I remember Iowa playing zone twice last night and Wisky nailed 3 pters both times with ease.