Stephen McCarty joins Hawks as Walk-On

Curious- haven't read much on this Coco guy, but seen his name mentioned on the boards quite a bit. If he's only got one year of eligibility left, is he not at least worth offering (if he hasn't been already) to potentially add another body this year rather than having that scholarship sit unused this year? Does he have baggage/concerns that come with him?

Fran might want to get these guys to monitor their 'tweets' a little more...

SteveD1Skills thinks he gon cuff a white girl wen we get to #iowa lol

Thanks to the Marble Clann gotta give it up to Roy for his loyalty to the program! Steering Devin our way and getting us some help with his nephew. Roy has had his problems but loyalty to Iowa isn't one of them....thanks

IMO, Iowa could not get Salter and they were not impressed with Ware so this must be Plan B. Let us all hope 2011 recruiting class is a stud one.

I hope he has some Marble genes in his DNA,ie.,that he is the son of a sibling of Roy.
We need all the good athletic genes we can get in this program,ASAP.

According to this article (QC times) McCarty had offers from Buffalo and Sacramento State. Pretty neat to get a walk-on with two d-1 schollies

Hawkmania

So what is our pg situation now?

Cully Payne
Stephen McCarty
Devyn Marble (maybe can play some minutes at point)

Still not feeling real comfortable about this. I think Coco Ware would be ideal because he wouldn't take up a 2011 schollie. Even adding the guy from the fieldhouse that the Daily Iowan wrote about would help.

It's not important that the posters on these boards feel comfortable. As long as Coach feels comfortable that's all that matters.

From HI.com "Did McCaffery know what he was doing waiting 2 months to compile a staff with a depleted roster and a major need to bring in talent for next season?"

Great point other staffs had 4 coaches recruiting to our 2. So what do we get? A walk on PG (if he wasn't related to Marble, Hawks never give him a look) & maybe an okay Fieldhouse PG.

Can kirk or sherm use their connection to get a PG?

I think staff would have done better with more time, but all we have to show so far is a low major PF & 2 walk ons (both relatives of former Hawks).

If we bag all the ships, I hate to say it, but we're going to be worse than last year.

It's not important that the posters on these boards feel comfortable. As long as Coach feels comfortable that's all that matters.

The posters on this board are smart enough to know when there is talent on the roster and when there isn't. The current roster is almost completely devoid of high major talent through little to no fault of Fran. The big question is this: Do Hawk fans show up and support a team that likely wins only 7-10 games next year? Do any recruits want to come play for a team that has 4k fans show up for a new coach in an arena that holds 15k?

Iowa fans are fickle....everyone said that when Alford left the fans would come back, but in Licks first year attendance was worse than Alford's last. If that happens next year Fran will need a miracle to bring in the type of recruits he needs to turn things around.

I don't understand why so many are so worried about not getting the JC kid. If he can't even put in extra work in the classroom in the summer to get qualified, do you really think we will do all he needs to do to be a productive and good member of the BB team? This includes the work he would have to do in the classroom the next 2 years to stay eligible. Plus from what has been said he told one story to the Iowa coaching staff, and then went off and did something else.

I wish him luck in Hawaii, but he was not going to be the difference between a 10 win team and a 16 win team.

As I read it, everyone's concern comes down to the fact that Iowa only has one scholarship PG. That is a legitimate concern. You may be right in saying it might not be the difference between a 10 and 16 win season. But, Iowa is one injury away from disaster.

That being said, judging by what the other new hires are doing with respect to recruiting, Tony Barbee seems to be having success in the Spring signing period, but not a lot of the other guys are doing much.

Well I would hope he has a good enough grasp of the situation to be uncomfortable. If he's comfortable right now then something is wrong...

Absolutely not A D-1 upper level player,Sac State offered only because his father played there,Witnessed this guy being outplayed the past 2yrs by lackluster talent,Only recruited heavy by D-3, and CC..Family will waste money next yr..

Latest posts