Stay or go?

From a selfish standpoint, I'd love him to stay, but, realistically, when you are pretty much guaranteed to be a 1st/early 2nd round pick, you should go.

The chance to make tens of millions of dollars doesn't come around very often, and it's unlikely that returning would enhance his draft stock, and has the potential to drastically worsen it.

Daniels, however, would be smart to return. Unless he blows people away at the combine, he's looking at around the 6th round, and would benefit from the extra year in terms of strength and technique.

From a selfish standpoint, I'd love him to stay, but, realistically, when you are pretty much guaranteed to be a 1st/early 2nd round pick, you should go.

The chance to make tens of millions of dollars doesn't come around very often, and it's unlikely that returning would enhance his draft stock, and has the potential to drastically worsen it.

Daniels, however, would be smart to return. Unless he blows people away at the combine, he's looking at around the 6th round, and would benefit from the extra year in terms of strength and technique.

Mike or LeShaun?

Jackson should go. Take the money while he can. Yeah he could stay and get better but he'll get better in the NFL and get paid to do so.

Jackson should go. Take the money while he can. Yeah he could stay and get better but he'll get better in the NFL and get paid to do so.

Yea, I hate to see him go but he's got freaky size for the position with some hops and had a hell of a year to position him for a top draft spot and $$$$.

Iowa will just have to fill the void with talent coming in and hope they can.

You know, starting center James Daniels, the junior who is contemplating going pro. I'm sure you've heard of him.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know him well, he wooos them with his ways

If your a 1st round pick in the NFL you go... If your a corner (the good ones get paid big bucks) you want to get your NFL clock started so you can get to your 2nd contract where the really big bucks are. King really cost himself I can't for the life of me see Jackson making that same mistake. I can understand taking his time and thinking it all through and getting all your variables on the table before deciding but I can't see him staying..

Daniels is a bit trickier in that centers even good ones don't get drafted very high. He could be a top 5 center no doubt about it and still be a 5th or 6th rounder... So if he can come back and make himself into being the top center and a top 3 round guy or higher that's something to think long and hard about. Yet the whole getting your NFL clock started is a real thing and with him being a young 20 still he can have himself a nice long NFL career of cashing checks. I could seriously see his decision being a coin flip. Jackson not so much he's gotta go

I think Jackson learned a lot for King. Saw how King never got a ball thrown in his direction his senior year. And how they may have affected his draft status.
Then Jackson lived it last night.

If Jackson stays, he must really value his college experience or education. Which is ok. But I cant see him throwing millions of dollars away to stay one more year and never have a ball thrown his way.

Jackson should go and most likely will. Daniels should stay as you're not even guaranteed to make the roster if you're taken in the 6th or 7th round.

I really don't think King cost himself millions by staying. It was his performance in the combine that hurt him, just as it would have hurt him if he'd gone a year earlier. He was never going to be a first round pick due to his measurables, IMO. He's proving with his play for the Chargers that stats aren't everything, but that's the way of the NFL. Jackson's performance in the combine will help determine his draft spot, but he also has the height along with speed that the NFL is looking for so his numbers may not be as important.

Sounds like Daniels is the #2 C on the board and projected to go in the 2nd round. The pessimist in me says they will both go. Jackson is gone. Daniels is only 20 so he has a tricky decision ahead of him. I think he will be back though.

I really don't think King cost himself millions by staying. It was his performance in the combine that hurt him, just as it would have hurt him if he'd gone a year earlier. He was never going to be a first round pick due to his measurables, IMO. He's proving with his play for the Chargers that stats aren't everything, but that's the way of the NFL. Jackson's performance in the combine will help determine his draft spot, but he also has the height along with speed that the NFL is looking for so his numbers may not be as important.
There's some truth to what you say for sure. He wasn't going to win the underwear Olympics in Indy. But there's something to be said about coming off that JR year he had and how he'd have been looked at. I don't think he'd have been a 1st round top 3 corner either but he wouldn't have slipped to the late 5th round either. There was a good chance he'd have gone in the late 2nd if not 3rd round I think which would have made him more.. Not to mention get his NFL clock started a year sooner for him to get to the next contract. That is where the money is. Most players only get two contracts in fact the average player gets just the one the rookie deal they get locked in on for 4 yrs some with options of a 5th.. If you play over 8 yrs and get to negotiate a 2nd and 3rd contract you've done as well for yourself as you can. (QBs are exceptions. Cousins getting franchise tagged over and over is crazy and he just might be again)

I'd love to see Jackson stay around for another year, but I think he'd be making a mistake by not declaring early. His stock is sky high right now. I don't think he can improve it any more at this point.

Sounds like Daniels is the #2 C on the board and projected to go in the 2nd round. The pessimist in me says they will both go. Jackson is gone. Daniels is only 20 so he has a tricky decision ahead of him. I think he will be back though.

I think Daniels definitely has more to gain by coming back. As you mentioned,he's young. The line play wasn't great this year so I think he could improve his draft stock by staying a year.

Latest posts