State Tourney: Updates

It's not confusing at all. Just kinds backward thinking. He's still a junior eligibility wise. The only reasons your logic would matter is if they only let him play college for 3 years because of his age, or if you think he will peak before his senior year.

Uthoff was a year older than his class and look at how much better he was as a senior than as a junior. He was probably still better the year after that, which would have been his senior year if he had the luxury of being a year older than his high school class like Pat is.
I think the issue in Pat’s case is the inability to add weight and strength. If he were 16 or 17 and the weight hadn’t come yet it would be a little different. At 18 years old and being extremely underweight, it kind of makes you wonder if that weight will ever come for him. For some people no matter how hard they try it just doesn’t come.

I think the issue in Pat’s case is the inability to add weight and strength. If he were 16 or 17 and the weight hadn’t come yet it would be a little different. At 18 years old and being extremely underweight, it kind of makes you wonder if that weight will ever come for him. For some people no matter how hard they try it just doesn’t come.

Totally agree. I came away from watching him play that he's WAY overrated and he's not going to be able to compete physically in the B1G.

Totally agree. I came away from watching him play that he's WAY overrated and he's not going to be able to compete physically in the B1G.
I didn’t need to watch the state Tourney to know he was overrated, I have been saying it for months.

People would give scouting reports and say he’s very thin and needs to develop his jumpshot, including his form. Then they would say he’s a top 30 player. That doesn’t add up. From a pure prospect standpoint I’m not sure Pat is even a better prospect than Nunge was, and he was what a borderline 4 Star?

I just don't think it's gonna end well for Pat.

The farther he gets away from cancer, the easier it will be to gain weight. Another reason it's a good thing he's a year older than his class.

He's been cancer free for 4 years. I don't understand how you can say that but OK.

Do you think Patrick now would be the same size if he never had cancer? I highly doubt it. Do you think Patrick at 22 will be the same size as he would have been without cancer? I think he probably would. Do you think he would be the same size at 40 if he didn't have cancer at 14? I'd say 100% for sure. His family is all built well. The farther away from cancer he gets, the better off he will be.

Do you think Patrick now would be the same size if he never had cancer? I highly doubt it. Do you think Patrick at 22 will be the same size as he would have been without cancer? I think he probably would. Do you think he would be the same size at 40 if he didn't have cancer at 14? I'd say 100% for sure. His family is all built well. The farther away from cancer he gets, the better off he will be.

I don't know. He was very thin before he had cancer and he's very thin now.

I guess I was just frustrated with his play in DSM and he was a lot worse than I expected. When someone says 2-3 years he'll be good it doesn't give me much hope since he should be a senior and a 2018 recruit anyways. On the flip side Joe was even better than I expected and hopefully Pat never plays here so it all could work out for the better.

In your opinion are Patrick and Connor good enough to be walk on's for Iowa?

I ask because I have reason to believe that Connor and Patrick will both be non scholarship players for Iowa.

I ask because I have reason to believe that Connor and Patrick will both be non scholarship players for Iowa.

I don't think either are good enough if they are preventing other players at their position from coming. Many on here think the reason we can't land a good point guard is because of Connor. All I am saying is I think Patrick is very overrated and Joe is very underrated. Joe should have been a McDonald's All American in my opinion.

I used to think that would be a huge advantage for Iowa. I now absolutely cringe at the idea of Fran having 12 scholarship guys and his two sons.

I don't think either are good enough if they are preventing other players at their position from coming. Many on here think the reason we can't land a good point guard is because of Connor. All I am saying is I think Patrick is very overrated and Joe is very underrated. Joe should have been a McDonald's All American in my opinion.

I understand your thoughts. I also don't quite believe that Connor is preventing us from getting a PG. Plenty of top PG's each year go to rosters with existing underclassmen PG's. Most of these kids aren't afraid of competition.

Mateen Cleaves told me that it is a possible scheme issue with some PG's. We don't run a lot of pick and pop which apparently young PG's are fond of. Also said that a lot of our motion and screen game is off the ball and designed to get open shots for SG's and wings. These things are just as likely to be at negative effect to recruiting as Connor. Plus Connor is 6'5 and could easily slide to the 2 spot if we had a stud PG.

I understand your thoughts. I also don't quite believe that Connor is preventing us from getting a PG. Plenty of top PG's each year go to rosters with existing underclassmen PG's. Most of these kids aren't afraid of competition.

Mateen Cleaves told me that it is a possible scheme issue with some PG's. We don't run a lot of pick and pop which apparently young PG's are fond of. Also said that a lot of our motion and screen game is off the ball and designed to get open shots for SG's and wings. These things are just as likely to be at negative effect to recruiting as Connor. Plus Connor is 6'5 and could easily slide to the 2 spot if we had a stud PG.

It's not about being afraid of competition. It's about being afraid of unfair competition. Your second scenario is very likely too. A 3rd scenario is we haven't really landed huge out of state recruits at any position other than Cook. There hasn't been many options for in state point guards that play like a lot of guys on this board want to see. After 2019, that theory won't look near as good if we wife on Carton and Locure.

I don't know. He was very thin before he had cancer and he's very thin now.

He was 14 when he got cancer. I was one of the thinnest kids in my class as a sophomore, then there were rumors of me taking steroids as a junior just because I started working out and got bigger. If I got cancer at 14, odds are I would have still been rail thin as a junior. Those are important years for maturing.

Latest posts