Starting a countdown, how many days does TL have left at Iowa?

I have not been a big Lick fan up to this point and he definitely deserves a lot of the blame for the player defections and taking 3-4 years to just finally start getting his players in the system. BUT, this guy knows basketball.

On the way home from tonight's game, I listened to him in the post game interview and he really knows his stuff. He talked about the need to make winning plays at the end of a game. And we just don't have guys that can make those plays right now. He also talked about using the rim to maneuver around the big guys when down low so they can't block your shot so easy (something we didn't do very well). It's just things like this that tell me this guy knows what he is talking about, he just isn't getting it across or these players don't have the capability of doing it. But put me in the very small minority here and say give him some more time and I think he will get the job done here.

I think this, we start over now and things will get worse before they get better, and that's hard to imagine, but I believe is true.

Recruiting class is strong compared to what!?! It's like the 7th or 8th best recruiting class in conference and may end up being somewhere around 40th in the country. Sure it's am improvement but it's not hard to improve from pathetic to poor.

We have four 3-star players coming in next year. These aren't light up the world, game changing players, these are role players that can dribble and chew gum.

Agreed. but at least they won't be doing the arm bar dribble...

Recruiting class is strong compared to what!?! It's like the 7th or 8th best recruiting class in conference and may end up being somewhere around 40th in the country. Sure it's am improvement but it's not hard to improve from pathetic to poor.

We have four 3-star players coming in next year. These aren't light up the world, game changing players, these are role players that can dribble and chew gum.

40th in the country is pretty good.
7th or 8th in conf isn't entirely true either.

This class is very solid, and is going to either make or break Lickliter. I like the class.

At least until the end of next year... minimum. Unless he quits.

Yep. Whether or not you like it, he will be given to the end of next season to turn this around. I know people hate hearing about the youth of the team, but we are starting 4 underclassmen and Barta will consider that (particularly since he was the man that hired Lick).

If we have more transfers at the end of the year, all bets are off.

I'm not so sure. I have to think Gary Barto is sitting in his plush office weighing the expense of lower ticket sales, empty seats, reduced concessions and marketing (souvenirs), parking, sponsorships, advertising, etc. against the costs of a buyout and hiring a new coach. Those numbers may not be that far apart. Gotta think he's feeling enormous pressure from many corners to move in a new direction. We'll see.

It would not surprise me one bit if a change was made at the end of this season.

I'm not so sure. I have to think Gary Barto is sitting in his plush office weighing the expense of lower ticket sales, empty seats, reduced concessions and marketing (souvenirs), parking, sponsorships, advertising, etc. against the costs of a buyout and hiring a new coach. Those numbers may not be that far apart. Gotta think he's feeling enormous pressure from many corners to move in a new direction. We'll see.

It would not surprise me one bit if a change was made at the end of this season.

I think the football team has been covering the expenses lately... Lick gets one more year.

John Madden impression- "Lickliter will be the coach at Iowa until the day that he isnt the coach, but until he's not the coach he will be the coach and as coach he is the man in charge which means he is the coach, and then someday he wont be the coach and when that day happens he wont be in charge because he isnt the coach- a a an an and if his team scores more points than the other team they will win- boom"

seriously funny...trying to picture Frank Caliendo saying this.

Latest posts