Stanzi Projected as Elite NFL QB? Read this

Let's talk about the dumbness contained within this post.

1) You assert he's helped by the system because of all the check downs and that would be a liability in the NFL.
In the NFL playing QB is 100% about progressions and checking to the 2nd or 3rd options underneath when those down the field are covered. He does this very well and that will be an asset to him.

2) You assert that all he did was check the ball down.
He was 14th in the NATION last year in yards per attempt. He was 23rd as a junior.

3) He makes bad decisions throwing into coverage.
He had 6 picks last year. Six. Did he have issues as a junior? Sure. Did he correct them as a senior? Sure.

4) His accuracy is questionable at best.
He completed over 64% of his passes this year.

Spot on. You fisked him good, DuffMan. Sadly, he keeps digging the hole deeper when he should run cryin' back to mama.

Spot on. You fisked him good, DuffMan. Sadly, he keeps digging the hole deeper when he should run cryin' back to mama.

Much of it can be put on KOK as well for some of the play calls, the out route etc.

Also two yrs ago against NW, when they kept flinging it 35 yds downfield against the wind & the ball would get hung up in the wind. That playcalling was baffling to say the least & prob accounted for 3 of his interceptions that year.

Last edited:
This is a case where stats lie. Stanzi had a very good year stat wise, and I could maybe be roped in if Ricky had led Iowa to a game winning drive in maybe 3-4 of those 5 losses Iowa had this year. Remember Stanzi had the ball in a 2 minute drill in each of those 5 losses and Iowa lost them all! 0-5 Why he could do it as a jr. against MSU and not get it done even once in 2010 is inconceivable.

This is a case where stats lie. Stanzi had a very good year stat wise, and I could maybe be roped in if Ricky had led Iowa to a game winning drive in maybe 3-4 of those 5 losses Iowa had this year. Remember Stanzi had the ball in a 2 minute drill in each of those 5 losses and Iowa lost them all! 0-5 Why he could do it as a jr. against MSU and not get it done even once in 2010 is inconceivable.

I'm just trying to remember off the top of my head but didn't he lead us down to score in a couple of those games then defense gave up score, then failed to lead us to another score?

Also threw a TD pass with 2:50 to go against Indiana to take the lead

edit: I guess most of them were 4th quarter but not a close to the end as I thought.

Last edited:
I believe, in at least 3 of those games, it was because the defense was unable to stop the other team from scoring at the end of the game. NW, MN & WS

There are some glaring aspects of the article to be critical about.

1. Anyone that thinks an excel spreadsheet formula has been derived as a predictor of success in the NFL for college QB's is on some serious crack.

2. Pick-6's should be a red flag.

Analyzing the list:

1. Bradford, Sam - yet TBD
  2. Brady, Tom - HOF
  3. Elway, John - HOF (but note, incomplete data)
  4. Flacco, Joe - marginal
  5. Kolb, Kevin - who?
  6. Leftwich, Byron - bust
  7. Luck, Andrew - shouldn't be mentioned until done with college
  8. Manning, Peyton - HOF
  9. Palmer, Carson - bust, marginal
  10. Pike, Tony - um, yeah...
  11. Pennington, Chad - decent QB
  12. Rodgers, Aaron - has a ring, has a lot to prove
  13. Roethlisberger, Ben - HOF
  14. Sanchez, Mark - TBD
So, to me what this "predictor" is predicting is that Stanzi will be somewhere between Tony Pike and Peyton Manning. Waste of an article, imo.

There are some glaring aspects of the article to be critical about.

1. Anyone that thinks an excel spreadsheet formula has been derived as a predictor of success in the NFL for college QB's is on some serious crack.

2. Pick-6's should be a red flag.

Analyzing the list:

1. Bradford, Sam - yet TBD
  2. Brady, Tom - HOF
  3. Elway, John - HOF (but note, incomplete data)
  4. Flacco, Joe - marginal
  5. Kolb, Kevin - who?
  6. Leftwich, Byron - bust
  7. Luck, Andrew - shouldn't be mentioned until done with college
  8. Manning, Peyton - HOF
  9. Palmer, Carson - bust, marginal
  10. Pike, Tony - um, yeah...
  11. Pennington, Chad - decent QB
  12. Rodgers, Aaron - has a ring, has a lot to prove
  13. Roethlisberger, Ben - HOF
  14. Sanchez, Mark - TBD
So, to me what this "predictor" is predicting is that Stanzi will be somewhere between Tony Pike and Peyton Manning. Waste of an article, imo.

Without saying anything about the original article, your analysis of some of the QB's here is a bit of a head scratcher. Carson Palmer has been a very solid QB for a number of years. His only problem is he plays for the Bengals. Aaron Rodgers prooved everything last year. Joe Flacco is a very solid NFL QB. Mark Sanchez and Sam Bradford are both very very promising QB's.

Without saying anything about the original article, your analysis of some of the QB's here is a bit of a head scratcher. Carson Palmer has been a very solid QB for a number of years. His only problem is he plays for the Bengals. Aaron Rodgers prooved everything last year. Joe Flacco is a very solid NFL QB. Mark Sanchez and Sam Bradford are both very very promising QB's.

I am not going to argue particulars with you. If you can't look at that list and see the disparity in talent there really is nothing more to discuss. Arguing my personal assessment of the QB's isn't pertinent to discussion.

I don't measure QB success purely off of stats, otherwise I might give Flacco and Palmer more credit. Win something.

Agreed except for the Flacco and Sanchez statements. Flacco is a mediocre QB that plays on an above average team. He might be the most overrated (don't throw stats at me, please, I have seen him play many times) QB in the league. Sanchez is promising, but nowhere near the league of Bradford, IMO. The Jets dumb down that offense for him. I don't see the Rams doing that nearly as much with Bradford.

It doesn't matter, what matters is that these 14 QB's don't even really belong on the same list together.

I am not going to argue particulars with you. If you can't look at that list and see the disparity in talent there really is nothing more to discuss. Arguing my personal assessment of the QB's isn't pertinent to discussion.

I don't measure QB success purely off of stats, otherwise I might give Flacco and Palmer more credit. Win something.

With all do respect we aren't talking about semantics here. The author lists 14 QBs of which I'd say 10 are known commodities (Brady, Elway, Flacco, Manning, Palmer, Pennington, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Leftwich, Sanchez), and 4 are TBD.

Out of the 10 known commodities there is only one bust and that's Leftwich. The other nine I would consider either solid or elite.

Out of the 4 unknowns I would consider 2 promising (Bradford had a great rookie season, and Kolb has impressed when he's had the opporunity to play) and the other two are completely uknown.

Of course there is a lot of dispartiy if you compare the top of the list to the bottom, but the authors point wasn't that Stanzi is going to be on top of that list, only that based on criteria he's evaluating he belongs on that list, and the vast majority of QB's on that list have had good careers in the grand scheeme of things.

Regarding your assessment of Flacco and Palmer... I'd say Flacco has yet to have a loosing season in 3 years in the NFL and he's progressed each year including a playoff win this year. Palmer is a two time pro-bowler has twice lead the worst fanchise in the NFL to the playoffs, something they hadn't done in the 13 years prior to him being the starting QB. That's not HOF but it's pretty fricken far from marginal.

Right, so like I said, the spreadsheet tells us he could be anywhere from a bust to a HOF QB.

When the guy has to start pairing down his list of 14 to get to his 91% predictability, or whatever it was, that was a red flag.

And not having Pick-6's as a "red flag", in my mind, is a red flag.

It's an interesting read without having more detail about this black box process they use, but I guarantee some FFL geek with an excel spreadsheet isn't outdoing even the worst NFL GM's. Well, maybe Al Davis...but, generally speaking.

I like Stanzi as much as the next Hawk fan. That said, I dont see him being a successful NFL QB.
The #1 red flag to me is, he doesnt go thru his reads quickly enough and he locks onto his recievers.
NFL defenses will eat you alive, after they get some film on you. Thats how I see it.

I like Stanzi as much as the next Hawk fan. That said, I dont see him being a successful NFL QB.
The #1 red flag to me is, he doesnt go thru his reads quickly enough and he locks onto his recievers.
NFL defenses will eat you alive, after they get some film on you. Thats how I see it.

All due respect to your assessment, but those are some of the same things people said about Tom Brady when he was drafted. Not that Ricky is the next Tom. But the kid has all the tools and the work ethic. Give him the right coaches and players to help him develop and I like his chances over other QBs in the draft.

Latest posts