Stanzi Projected as Elite NFL QB? Read this

Man the trolls and hater's love going after Rick.

First off an very interesting read.

All the article does is say that based on this his senior season Rick has the potential to be a good / elite NFL QB. I'm no NFL scout, or football guru, but I've always though Rick had a chance in the NFL. He has the size, the leadership, and from all reports the work ethic. Leadership, work ethic, and size are extremely important for a QB, and can't be taught. And Ricky is a winner.

That said potential doesn't win football games, and no one cares about a guys potential after he is drafted. It will be fun to watch Rick's career, or lack there of play out.

At best, this will be a tremendous call and huge validation for our mathematical model's ability to project college QBs to the NFL. (I also have a few years to hide from it potentially too!)

Quote from the article

At best, this will be a tremendous call and huge validation for our mathematical model's ability to project college QBs to the NFL. (I also have a few years to hide from it potentially too!)

Quote from the article

Why are you so convinced that Stanzi will bomb? What makes you so sure?

Probably because he just doesn't/didn't pass the eyeball test. Just like Tom Brady didn't.

Not saying that Stanzi is the next Brady. But their college game is pretty similar.

People hate being wrong and it's hard becoming a starting QB...predicting failure gives him more of a chance to have an "I told you so" moment...not to mention some people tend to be "glass half empty" types...making anyone who thinks Ricky even has a most remote chance to be successful, a "Kool-Aid drinker"...

People hate being wrong and it's hard becoming a starting QB...predicting failure gives him more of a chance to have an "I told you so" moment...not to mention some people tend to be "glass half empty" types...making anyone who thinks Ricky even has a most remote chance to be successful, a "Kool-Aid drinker"...

And who'd doesn't like Kool-Aid anyway?! I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he's going to go further than I will in the NFL! He's got the looks. He's a Hawkeye. He's got some nice YouTube videos. Couple years from now I can say told you so.:D

When Ricky is driving some offense down the field to win the Super Bowl in 5-6 years, all you non-believers will NOT be allowed to stand up and cheer or spill beer all over the guy next to you cuz you're excited for him. That is all.

I've watched the guy play for 3 yrs.

He makes poor decisions (pick 6's), he makes more poor decisions (takes sacks in the red zone), he makes even more bad decisions (throwing into coverage - often).

His accuracy is questionable at best.

He's got good arm strength but nothing that is going to surprise anyone.

The 'system' that he played in at Iowa helps his stats in this guys formula because we throw a bunch of short dink and dump passes and screens. The NFL is going to know that he can't stretch the field so they will just play press coverage and blitz the **** out of him.

I can't recall anymore than a handful or less deep balls that he threw for completions. I'm not talking about 20+ RACs, I'm talking about the ball being in the air > 20 yards with accuracy.

Did I mention that his accuracy is bad? It's bad.

Okay, I admit it, I am a system junkie. I love the guys with their systems and specifically the ones that have a system that seems to work over time. That being said, I would hate to have Ricky be the guy to provide the negative case, which would force a restructuring of this system.

When I watch Ricky, there is one thing I don't like. He tends to throw his long ball from the pocket a little too mechanically. He just seems to throw better long when he is moving or has some pressure. I think they might be able to work on that at the next level. Right now, it just looks a little too Todd Marijuanavich for my taste.

He makes poor decisions (pick 6's), he makes more poor decisions (takes sacks in the red zone), he makes even more bad decisions (throwing into coverage - often).

The 'system' that he played in at Iowa helps his stats in this guys formula because we throw a bunch of short dink and dump passes and screens. The NFL is going to know that he can't stretch the field so they will just play press coverage and blitz the **** out of him.

I can't recall anymore than a handful or less deep balls that he threw for completions. I'm not talking about 20+ RACs, I'm talking about the ball being in the air > 20 yards with accuracy.

Let's talk about the dumbness contained within this post.

1) You assert he's helped by the system because of all the check downs and that would be a liability in the NFL.
In the NFL playing QB is 100% about progressions and checking to the 2nd or 3rd options underneath when those down the field are covered. He does this very well and that will be an asset to him.

2) You assert that all he did was check the ball down.
He was 14th in the NATION last year in yards per attempt. He was 23rd as a junior.

3) He makes bad decisions throwing into coverage.
He had 6 picks last year. Six. Did he have issues as a junior? Sure. Did he correct them as a senior? Sure.

4) His accuracy is questionable at best.
He completed over 64% of his passes this year.

12345, you again show that you didn't read the article as you argue the opposite of it.

First off, I am pretty sure Iowa didn't run more than a handfull of screen passes under Stanzi, and the long yards per completion was something Stanzi had a leg up on for most other players. If you think that is only for YAC then you weren't watching closely

Let's talk about the dumbness contained within this post.

1) You assert he's helped by the system because of all the check downs and that would be a liability in the NFL.
In the NFL playing QB is 100% about progressions and checking to the 2nd or 3rd options underneath when those down the field are covered. He does this very well and that will be an asset to him.

2) You assert that all he did was check the ball down.
He was 14th in the NATION last year in yards per attempt. He was 23rd as a junior.

3) He makes bad decisions throwing into coverage.
He had 6 picks last year. Six. Did he have issues as a junior? Sure. Did he correct them as a senior? Sure.
He had issues as a JR and Soph. He threw what, two or three Pick 6s this year? He should have had 5 or 6 mored INTs that hit the DBs in the hands that were dropped. He throws behind dragging WRs and over throws deep routes.

4) His accuracy is questionable at best.
He completed over 64% of his passes this year.

See #1 and #2 for the answer, I don't have time to explain it to you.

Whaaa?

Every single QB in the nation had 5-6 potential INT's that were right in the DB's hands and got dropped, every single one. There is a reason they are DB's and not WR's. Even if all 6 of those are caught by the DB he still has 25tds and 10ints which are very respectable numbers.

One of his pick sixes this year went right through his receivers hands.

Judging by your post total you have all kinds of time to explain it to me, what you lack is the ability to do so because your stance borders on indefensible.

Some of you think Ricky is going to be a good NFL QB, I don't. Let me rephrase a line from the article to fit my theory because it's not worth debating.

At best, this was an easy call and a validation of my ability to eye talent (or lack there of). I have a few years to hide from it potentially too!

I don't think Peyton Manning will be a very good QB, I mean, he threw 28 picks his rookie year.

Probably because he just doesn't/didn't pass the eyeball test. Just like Tom Brady didn't.

Not saying that Stanzi is the next Brady. But their college game is pretty similar.

Can I call'em, or can I call'em? :D

Latest posts