Stanzi best Hawkeye QB ever?

he has made the most strides as a qb in recent years. being a team leader and controlling his players is what i like most about stanzi. he can't touch chuck but if he wins a national championship or 2 big bowls in these last two seasons he has to be in question for this
With out question any QB that get's their team to the NC game and wins it deserves to be consider in the tops of their school. Long was a special QB that will forever go down as one the greatest at Iowa. Let's hope Stanzi can be the one.

Am I the only one onthis board that thinks Drew Tate was just an OK quarterback. I just was never truly impressed. Don't get me wrong, he was our quarterback, I am behind them all, but he had so much promise after his sophmore season, and to me really never got much better. Don't crucify too much, just my oppinion.

I remember Long, great decision making. One of my favorites was Matt Rodgers for sure. He really controlled the game, great manager of the game I should say.

Brad Banks was a fun quarterback to watch. Did not hurt us much.

With out question any QB that get's their team to the NC game and wins it deserves to be consider in the tops of their school. Long was a special QB that will forever go down as one the greatest at Iowa. Let's hope Stanzi can be the one.

By that reasoning, if we get to a NC game, every player on the team should be considered as the greatest ever at their positions. It just doesn't make sense. The factors that get any team that to the NC game are a combination of coaching, talent, execution, scheduling, reputation and luck. One player cannot make the difference alone. Stanzi is a fine QB, but among all of the Hawkeye QBs of the past, he is merely average. He just has a very good supporting cast. His W-L record compared to Christensen is really more of a testament to how bad Christensen was.

"His W-L record compared to Christensen is really more of a testament to how bad Christensen was. "

Yep.

Actually if you go back to the late 50's some will argue Randy Duncan is the best QB Iowa has had, but its always hard to compare over different era's.

1. Long/Duncan
2. Hartlieb
3. Banks
4. Rodgers
5. Tate

Like some others right now I have Stanzi at 6 but he'll be moving up

Seriously? Best ever? Chuck Long was a pretty well polished QB in his Sophomore year even. Chuck Long was as smooth as "butta!" Randy Duncan was one heck of a QB. Not to discount the fact that Stanzi has an excellent record as a starting QB, but he doesn't have the leadership skills of Chuck Long. Chuck Long was a gunslinger, a leader, a legend. Yes, a legend. Watch the message boards, Stanzi will be blasted and questioned at least 5-6 times tomorrow...hardly the greatest QB ever. That being said, I'm glad Rick Stanzi is my QB...go Hawks!

ricki's got a great arm and an nfl type body. Greatest hawk QB ever? Man, tough to put him up against Long and Hartlieb and Matt rogers yet, but I think his name might br brought up in that group someday. His ability to shake off the bad stuff is what puts him ahead of Tate. If tate would have had that kin d of maturity, he would have been a manchild. Stanzi's solid, especially wgen flushed from the pocket.

The one thing about Long to remember is that when he came to Iowa, we were awful. Long was the quarterback that helped Fry lead us to the Iowa program we now love. The other guys that came after had it a little easier, we were already on our way to being a pretty good program. Much of the Iowa success over the last 25 - 30 years is due to Chuck Long, and I for one will always appreciate what he did in his time at Iowa. When we discuss Iowa's top qb ever - put Long number one and go from there.

baxterhawk, how old are you? Were you around watching Iowa football when Chuck Long played? I am willing to bet you weren't, or you wouldn't have asked the question.

Couldn't agree more about Long and the situation he walked into. Maybe that should be considered the start of Iowa's 'modern era'.

In fairness, we old Hawkeye fans can remember that that situation was created by a coach, now dying, who burned the Iowa program to the ground while athletic director. In the process, he made it much easier to forget the greats (except for Kinnick) all too easy to forget. A shame.

The one thing about Long to remember is that when he came to Iowa, we were awful. Long was the quarterback that helped Fry lead us to the Iowa program we now love. The other guys that came after had it a little easier, we were already on our way to being a pretty good program. Much of the Iowa success over the last 25 - 30 years is due to Chuck Long, and I for one will always appreciate what he did in his time at Iowa. When we discuss Iowa's top qb ever - put Long number one and go from there.

Excuse me? When Chuck Long came to Iowa in 1981 we were ranked as high as #6, before losing to Minnesota and went to the Rose Bowl. We were no longer "awful". Fry had things headed in the right direction when Chuck arrived on campus. No question Chuck Long defined the Hayden Fry turnaround, but it had already begun and would have continued.

Last edited:
Hey, NotMissinLute.

I don't know if you were inferring that I was saying Long was the best of all time. I didn't say that. I just asked if the original poster was around when Long was. I am fully aware of those other players, and that Podolak played QB for a time. Since it is obvious to most people that have seen Long at Iowa that he was a better QB than Stanzi, that is what I was getting at; nothing else.

1. Chuck Long hands down.
2. Hartlieb
3. Rodgers
4. Banks
5. Tate

Stanzi will make the top 5 this season. His record as a starter are records of elite quarterbacks. He probably would pass Hartlieb in my thinking if the winning percentage stays in the stratosphere.

There's only thing that could move him ahead of Long . . .

Latest posts