Stanzi best Hawkeye QB ever?

He is not going to touch Chuck and Chuck. Not sure he will touch Tate. However, if he wins a national title, I reserve the right to change my mind :)

Lets not forget about Kyle McCann & Randy Reiners...

...ok I can't even type that with a straight face

Yeah, cause all McCann did was get smashed behind a bad o-line until his senior year when he led the highest scoring offense in the Big Ten. I hope Iowa never finds a QB that can lead the offense to 30+ points per game.

Statistically, it's all but impossible to catch Chuck Long. My guess is he would need over 7000 yards next year to come close and not sure on TD's, but I'd imagine it's the same sort of crazy number. Wins would probably be the same. Chuck Long started four years and had some pretty potent offenses.

That being said, I'll say it again, Stanzi will have the most successful NFL career of any Hawkeye QB ever. I realize there isn't much to compete with at the NFL level (Hawkeye-wise), but he's going to be the best.

Not even better than Tate, IMO.

At this point in his career, no he isn't. But with 6 games left in this season, and (hopefully) 13 more next year, it's very easy to see Rick becoming one of the best in team history, especially if everyone on the o-line comes back.

I'd like to also go on record to state that Stanzi will make ten times the NFL money that Tim Tebow will make.

Last edited:
I think that what we're seeing with Ricky is what we get with a top flight QB coach/offensive coordinator. Neither Banks nor Chandler were able to work with O'Keefe for 4 or 5 years. Tate had some injury problems. Christensen made tremendous progress and probably would have won 10 games as a starter last season, but after Doyle's strength training program made his arm too strong for his own good, Ken decided to shut him down. Now, barring injury, Stanzi will have had the benefit of being in the program for a long time, and I don't know how anyone could compare Chuck Hartlieb, Tate or Rodgers to Stanzi with a straight face. I'm not old enough to remember Duncan, but when it is all said and done, I think the three guys you will think of when you think of great Iowa QBs will be Long, Banks and Stanzi. Unless O'Keefe gets 4 years with AJ Derby at QB, then watch out, rewrite the record books boys.

C'Mon Ken. Don't you think you should be getting a game plan together for MSU instead of trying to puff your chest on a message board. Oh thats right, no need to game plan, that's what Kirks for right.

I'd like to also go on record to state that Stanzi will make ten times the NFL money that Tim Tebow will make.

Unfortunately I think Tebow will get a bigger signing bonus than Rick will make in the NFL. I don't like it or agree with it but I think that is the truth. I sure hope I am wrong though.

Stanzi has shown that he can throw the ball with pin point accuracy with the best of previous Iowa QB's. If he gets rid of the bad ones/ bad decisions, he could work his way up towards Chuck. He can take another huge step this weekend.
So Rick can throw a good ball, when he doesn't throw a bad ball? That makes sense.

I'm just bustin' your balls, but this thread is just idiotic, and I'm guessing started by a clone hack.

Stanzi, skill-wise, is not better than most quarterbacks we've had, but he phenomenal at managing the game (not taking into account some of the mistakes). I think he is a great fit for our team; he symbolizes a lot of our season on the whole, lots of adversity but managing to overcome that in the end.

With Stanzi goes the Hawkeyes this season. That makes him one of the most "important" QB's we've had.

Baxterhawk, a question for you.

baxterhawk, how old are you? Were you around watching Iowa football when Chuck Long played? I am willing to bet you weren't, or you wouldn't have asked the question.

Stanzi, skill-wise, is not better than most quarterbacks we've had, but he phenomenal at managing the game (not taking into account some of the mistakes). I think he is a great fit for our team; he symbolizes a lot of our season on the whole, lots of adversity but managing to overcome that in the end.

With Stanzi goes the Hawkeyes this season. That makes him one of the most "important" QB's we've had.

With that logic JC was an incredible QB, very mobile, incredible accuracy, great decision making (not taking into account some of the mistakes).

With that logic JC was an incredible QB, very mobile, incredible accuracy, great decision making (not taking into account some of the mistakes).

Being JC had only mistakes, even if you took away some... he would only have more mistakes. Stanzi has had a few bad throws (be it bad routes ran or just plan bad throws) but his ability to overcome that is what I was speaking about.

And speaking of incredible accuracy... are you talking about the same Jake Christenson who threw the ball at the receivers feet almost 50% of the time?

Latest posts