Stanzi best Hawkeye QB ever?

baxterhawk

I know he scares us all to death. But, statistically speaking, will Ricky Stanzi finish as the best ever Iowa QB? His win loss record speaks for itself. Could he conceivably finish better than Long and Banks?

Lets not forget about Kyle McCann & Randy Reiners...

...ok I can't even type that with a straight face

Interesting Chuck was the man and then there Hartlieb and then Rogers, Banks and Tate I think Stanzi could be the manzi when all is said and done he'll have some impressive numbers

If you had a chance to watch Chuck you are blessed...he would have been a great pro with the right team and without the injuries. The lions blew then and still do (ask Barry why he really retired)...no protection from the oline for Chuck.

I like Stanzi, but he'd have to have an NCAA record-breaking season in his senior year to be considered a better Hawkeye than Chuck Long.

Long will be ranked as the best, but I always thought Hartlieb was great and Tate would also be on the list. All mistakes aside though, Stanzi throws a good-looking deep ball.

Chuck Long was the best. Too bad we couldn't have had Brad Banks as our starting QB for 2 or 3 years.

Randy Duncan was pretty darn good, too.

I think that what we're seeing with Ricky is what we get with a top flight QB coach/offensive coordinator. Neither Banks nor Chandler were able to work with O'Keefe for 4 or 5 years. Tate had some injury problems. Christensen made tremendous progress and probably would have won 10 games as a starter last season, but after Doyle's strength training program made his arm too strong for his own good, Ken decided to shut him down. Now, barring injury, Stanzi will have had the benefit of being in the program for a long time, and I don't know how anyone could compare Chuck Hartlieb, Tate or Rodgers to Stanzi with a straight face. I'm not old enough to remember Duncan, but when it is all said and done, I think the three guys you will think of when you think of great Iowa QBs will be Long, Banks and Stanzi. Unless O'Keefe gets 4 years with AJ Derby at QB, then watch out, rewrite the record books boys.

I think that what we're seeing with Ricky is what we get with a top flight QB coach/offensive coordinator. Neither Banks nor Chandler were able to work with O'Keefe for 4 or 5 years. Tate had some injury problems. Christensen made tremendous progress and probably would have won 10 games as a starter last season, but after Doyle's strength training program made his arm too strong for his own good, Ken decided to shut him down. Now, barring injury, Stanzi will have had the benefit of being in the program for a long time, and I don't know how anyone could compare Chuck Hartlieb, Tate or Rodgers to Stanzi with a straight face. I'm not old enough to remember Duncan, but when it is all said and done, I think the three guys you will think of when you think of great Iowa QBs will be Long, Banks and Stanzi. Unless O'Keefe gets 4 years with AJ Derby at QB, then watch out, rewrite the record books boys.

C'mon Prez. Unless it was tongue-in-cheek, you lost all credibility after the Christensen analysis. I'm glad Jake is having success at EIU but at Iowa, Christensen had more issues than an arm that was too strong for his own good. I'll submit that Iowa may have won another game or two last year had Christensen not played at all.

Stanzi has shown that he can throw the ball with pin point accuracy with the best of previous Iowa QB's. If he gets rid of the bad ones/ bad decisions, he could work his way up towards Chuck. He can take another huge step this weekend.

Latest posts