Stanzi best Hawkeye QB ever?

he has made the most strides as a qb in recent years. being a team leader and controlling his players is what i like most about stanzi. he can't touch chuck but if he wins a national championship or 2 big bowls in these last two seasons he has to be in question for this

He is not going to touch Chuck and Chuck. Not sure he will touch Tate. However, if he wins a national title, I reserve the right to change my mind :)

Long and Hartlieb are 1 and 1a in Hawkeye QB discussions......Matt Rodgers 2nd, Banks 3rd IMO

But I think by the time he graduates, Stanzi could be the 3rd leading passer in Iowa History......BUT

If he leads IOWA to a National Title.......Best Hawkeye QB ever, with Long as 1a!!!!!

I don't think any list which is detailing the best Hawkeye QB's ever can include Banks. He had one season as a starter with one of the best OL's in Iowa's history (Big 10 history?). He had great skill position players around him and the defense that year was downright salty. He was a great player, but he only started for one season. In terms of all-time QB's, and despite his propensity for spotting the other team 7 points, Stanzi has to be considered close to/at/just past Banks on the all-time list.

IMO...

Sorry, but being the MVP of the Big Ten, Davey OBrien Award winner,1st team All American, and a close second in the Heisman voting puts Banks in the top echlon. He is close to Chuck as the most honored Iowa QB in a single season. Just like Shonn Greene is in the elite group as Iowa rbs, for his one season as Doak Walker winner and All American and MVP of the Big Ten.

If you have a list of the top 10, he's in it. But if you are looking at a top 5, I don't think he can be there. Shonn Greene broke records (single season yards and TD's I think) in addition to his awards and pretty much carried the entire offense. I don't know if that's quite the same comparison.

I certainly don't want to take anything away from Banks, because for the year that he started, he was certainly great.

I would be surprised if Banks did not have the all-time passer efficiency record at Iowa with 27 td passes,5 interceptions, and almost 3000 yards in 2002. He also ran for some tds and led Iowa to its only 8-0 record in the Big Ten in school history.

He did set a Hawkeye record for rushing yards by a QB with 423 in 2002. In my quick search I couldn't find whether or not he was the career leader or not.

I don't think anyone can say anything until Ricky's days' as a Hawkeye are over. Of course there are fans that have never seen every QB Iowa has had. There are always players that were better college players than they were NFL players. I think Ricky has a bright future in the NFL and as long as he continues to win he will be my favorite.

I would be surprised if Banks did not have the all-time passer efficiency record at Iowa with 27 td passes,5 interceptions, and almost 3000 yards in 2002. He also ran for some tds and led Iowa to its only 8-0 record in the Big Ten in school history.

2,573 passing yds to be precise.....

I know he scares us all to death. But, statistically speaking, will Ricky Stanzi finish as the best ever Iowa QB? His win loss record speaks for itself. Could he conceivably finish better than Long and Banks?

What statistics are you suggesting he will pass Chuck Long in?

The suggestion of the thread title is a nonstarter. As college quarterbacks go, he is not and will not be better than Long, is not better than Chuck Hartlieb, is not better than Brad Banks, is not yet better than Matt Rodgers. I'll stop there.

You could plug a lot of quarterbacks of the past (not named above, like Gordy, Phil, Vlasic) into this offense and come up with the wins and fewer turnovers, you could not plug Stanzi into any of at least a dozen or more games played and won by Long, Hartlieb, Rodgers or Banks and be sure of a win, let alone the same statistical performance.

Last edited:
Re: Baxterhawk, a question for you.

baxterhawk, how old are you? Were you around watching Iowa football when Chuck Long played? I am willing to bet you weren't, or you wouldn't have asked the question.

Perfectly said my friend

Some people like challenges and there is still a chance he could do something no QB in recent times has done. I'll vote for him and the whole team if they wind up 12-0 and add the last one for 13 victories.

No hill for a climber...right! This team is made up of climbers.

Stanzi is WAY more beneficial to the team and program as a whole moving forward than Tate ever was. Tate would have somehow blamed his linemen and chewed them out in public for pick sixes akin to the ones that Stanzi has thrown.

papahawk. . . you the man!

if ricky stanzi wins the NC he his. bar none. Til then he will just be the best of the farentz era.

ps not enough brad banks talk on the thread. much better than tate

Last edited:
if ricky stanzi wins the NC he his. bar none. Til then he will just be the best of the farentz era.

ps not enough brad banks talk on the thread. much better than tate

Winning the NC alone isn't going to make anyone think he's the greatest Hawkeye QB ever. The Hawks under Chuck Long won games overwhelmingly because of Chuck Long. The Hawks under Stanzi win games overwhelmingly because of Norm Parker.

Latest posts