Stanzi best Hawkeye QB ever?

Being JC had only mistakes, even if you took away some... he would only have more mistakes. Stanzi has had a few bad throws (be it bad routes ran or just plan bad throws) but his ability to overcome that is what I was speaking about.

And speaking of incredible accuracy... are you talking about the same Jake Christenson who threw the ball at the receivers feet almost 50% of the time?

If you take away the 50% that were at the feet and the 25% that were over the head and the 15% that were thrown behind and the 5% that were thrown away and the 5% that were INT's. The rest were beautiful!

I'd like to also go on record to state that Stanzi will make ten times the NFL money that Tim Tebow will make.

I'll take that bet, Bo.

I would guess that Tebow makes more as a signing bonus than Ricky ever makes.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, but if you're giving me 10X the money, I'll take it in a heartbeat! :)

If you take away the 50% that were at the feet and the 25% that were over the head and the 15% that were thrown behind and the 5% that were thrown away and the 5% that were INT's. The rest were beautiful!

Point proven... that leaves 0% remaining. I agree with your statement sir.

I'll take that bet, Bo.

I would guess that Tebow makes more as a signing bonus than Ricky ever makes.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, but if you're giving me 10X the money, I'll take it in a heartbeat! :)

Is their an echo in here? Didn't I just say that?

The consensus seems to be that in terms of career accomplishment, Chuck Long is the best we have ever had and that Drew Tate is the best multi-year starter of the KF era. Here is a statistical breakdown of how Stanzi currently stacks up with both.

((My formatting isn't working so I have posted it as an attachment))

By the numbers, its impossible to argue that Long is and will continue to be the best QB in Iowa history. Stanzi winning a national championship this year and/or at least a B10 championship this year and another strong run this year could put him into consideration.

Last edited:
Re: Baxterhawk, a question for you.

baxterhawk, how old are you? Were you around watching Iowa football when Chuck Long played? I am willing to bet you weren't, or you wouldn't have asked the question.

Were either of you around when Ed Podolak was the Iowa QB? (Yeah, QB) How about Ken Ploen? Randy Duncan? (Only the Z can claim to have seen Al Couppee, 1939.) Eddie wasn't half bad. Ever is a long time.

What about Mark Vlasic? He backed up Chuck the 1st. Fry said, "He's got a stronger arm than Long, and he proves it every day by overthrowing his receivers."
He played in the NFL for 6 seasons.

Jus' sayin'

who brought up tate? he's not high on my list ... we go to the Rose (or better?) and Stanzi's got him beat by a mile

Stanzi finds a way to win, but there are still too many mistakes. The Team is making him look better, although Ricky had a great game against Wisconsin. I would have liked to have seen him throw the ball away when flushed out of the pocket and getting sacked, especially on the 4th down play with the TE open.

His stats are not that great except his win %, which is pretty key. It all depends on what you are referencing to best QB ever.

The only way he would even be mentioned with Chuck is if he wins the title. He is a proven winner, but best at the position? No.

Chuck ended up with over 10,000 yards passing in 4 years as a starter. Ricky is on track to maybe get to 8,000 as an almost 3 year starter. Per game, he might come close but I doubt it. My top 6 list includes:

Duncan
Ploen
Long
Banks
Rodgers
Tate
In the team picture: Hartlieb,Stanzi. Stanzi could still break into the top 7 list if he leads us to a Big Ten Title. That list is reserved for Big Ten Title winning QBs. It is all about the W's baby.

He is not going to touch Chuck and Chuck. Not sure he will touch Tate. However, if he wins a national title, I reserve the right to change my mind :)

+1 I'd even throw Matt Rodgers in there, he was a very good leader on the field and made very few mistakes...

I don't think any list which is detailing the best Hawkeye QB's ever can include Banks. He had one season as a starter with one of the best OL's in Iowa's history (Big 10 history?). He had great skill position players around him and the defense that year was downright salty. He was a great player, but he only started for one season. In terms of all-time QB's, and despite his propensity for spotting the other team 7 points, Stanzi has to be considered close to/at/just past Banks on the all-time list.

IMO...

To answer the question posed in the thread title, no, Stanzi is not close at this point. But he will have the opportunity to be a 3 year (nearly) starter, rack up some impressive stats, and given the team we have coming back next year, be a Big 10 champion twice over. He's got the ability and the time to work himself up that list.

He is not going to touch Chuck and Chuck. Not sure he will touch Tate. However, if he wins a national title, I reserve the right to change my mind :)

+1 There are still 5 (6 with the bowl) games left this year as well as his senior year.

As of right now I think 3rd is as high as he could go but that all could change.