Staff Change?

He has not just been getting random players from Illinois, he is consistently getting top level recruits that are highly coveted by dozens of other schools. Dan Doering (didn't pan out, but could have gone anywhere), Dace Richardson, Moeaki, CJF, go all the way back to Matt Roth, Kyle "Bonecrusher" Williams (in prison now, but huge 5* recruit), the top-level success has been staggering. And WTF is this all of sudden with your "Iowa has great facilities" line? They just put a ton of money in there, but it was widely accepted as fact that PRIOR TO THIS YEAR Iowa had some of the worst facilities in the conference. Do you just intentionally ignore this? Are you ignorant of this fact? What exactly is your deal on this issue? This idea that a mid-level program like Iowa just sells itself is nonsense, and is completely contradictory to your standard line that Iowa faces such huge institutional disadvantages that even medicore success should be embraced and celebrated here. I love how you cherrypick your arguments based on what fits into your pre-conceived notions about the program on that particular day.

So because they were recruited by Lester Erb, they chose Iowa because of him? I highly doubt many recruits choose Iowa solely on him or what he told them. For all you or anyone know, they all think Coach Erb is a huge jerk but loved the campus, Kinnick, the women, the parties or the academics of the University. He was merely their primary recruiter.

Do you know how the Iowa staff handles recruiting and their recruiting strategies?

Lot of connected people post on message boards. Its a fact.

tumblr_lnunmbRb1I1qlbfwco1_500.png

Look I don't know if its soups fault, the recruits we've gotten; whether we should blame it on the wind, going from one tame offensive system to one thats way to complex and doesn't utilize our players right or what. All i know is that our wide receivers, including the record breaking one from last year (mcnutt), since soup took over, have had serious issues catching the dang ball. Our offensive system before he came wasn't very imaginative, and receivers didn't break records, but at least they could catch. Having said that, recruiting at that position has been excellent since he came, they just haven't panned out on the field. You remember keenan davis was a 4-5 star wide receiver recruit his senior season, wanted by the bigger teams that can get just about anybody they want generally. Recruiting has been great there, they just don't catch the dang ball. Having said that when you got 6-4 wide receivers who don't run good routes but our hecka good athletes you'd think you try the chuck it up there and see what happens method our opponents seem to use a lot on us, ya know, once or twice a season (or like 5 times a game), but ya know, whatever!

Can someone just tell me they heard a rumor that Gregory is leaving? There is literally nothing to look forward to this offseason.

Edit: Besides watching Aaron White lock up his 1st round draft status.

If Soup is gone, I for one will be very VERY disappointed. He's one of my favorite coaches we have. And that's saying something.

I guess we will find out today if he is staying or leaving. If he does leave today we certainly won't find out why, and it will take a few years to find out if that was a wise choice by whoever made the decision. I don't think 99% of us that post have much inside information on the program. If I was in his shoes, and I was a good coach and wanted to finish my career in coaching, I would probably look for greener pastures. The receiving stats put up this year were awful, and if he wasn't happy with the scheme and didn't foresee much change in the near future he is probably making a wise choice. If he is a performing poorly and KF wants to make a change that is probably a good decision also. Unfortunately, I highly doubt we will find out today who is the one making the decision. I personally hope it's KF making the call because if not, it's another person not sold on the offensive scheme. and not real confident in the direction of the program.

I guess we will find out today if he is staying or leaving. If he does leave today we certainly won't find out why, and it will take a few years to find out if that was a wise choice by whoever made the decision. I don't think 99% of us that post have much inside information on the program. If I was in his shoes, and I was a good coach and wanted to finish my career in coaching, I would probably look for greener pastures. The receiving stats put up this year were awful, and if he wasn't happy with the scheme and didn't foresee much change in the near future he is probably making a wise choice. If he is a performing poorly and KF wants to make a change that is probably a good decision also. Unfortunately, I highly doubt we will find out today who is the one making the decision. I personally hope it's KF making the call because if not, it's another person not sold on the offensive scheme. and not real confident in the direction of the program.

Not gonna lose much sleep if he moves on. DJK was gonna shine and burn regardless of where he landed, McNutt was terrific, but outside those two, Iowa's wr have struggled...Iowa fans love him because of Braylon Edwards, and the fact he is a black assistant coach...may not be pc, but our wr's were not even scratching serviceable this season.

He's a position coach for an average group. Life goes on. He was brought in to recruit Some elite talent at that position and it didn't happen, hell Iowa couldn't lock down the state as they watched darboh go to Michigan . Mcnutt and djk were excellent athletes, they were gonna be good whether Campbell or Lester erb were still coaching the receivers.

It's not Soup's fault the receivers kept going downfield expecting JVB to hit them whenever they were wide open. If they only would've stayed within 3 yards of the LOS they surely would've caught more passes.

It's not Soup's fault the receivers kept going downfield expecting JVB to hit them whenever they were wide open. If they only would've stayed within 3 yards of the LOS they surely would've caught more passes.

Our WR's were terrible at getting seperation this year.

Iowa's WR would have dropped the balls anyway that is about all they were good at this year.

i think the worst thing that happened recently is that Stanzi ran out of eligibility and then Davis became the OC. Erb's history of attrition needs to be addressed. we need the best coaches available, not just company men. if Erb's a great coach/recruiter, he should stay. if not, get him the heck out!

He has not just been getting random players from Illinois, he is consistently getting top level recruits that are highly coveted by dozens of other schools. Dan Doering (didn't pan out, but could have gone anywhere), Dace Richardson, Moeaki, CJF, go all the way back to Matt Roth, Kyle "Bonecrusher" Williams (in prison now, but huge 5* recruit), the top-level success has been staggering. And WTF is this all of sudden with your "Iowa has great facilities" line? They just put a ton of money in there, but it was widely accepted as fact that PRIOR TO THIS YEAR Iowa had some of the worst facilities in the conference. Do you just intentionally ignore this? Are you ignorant of this fact? What exactly is your deal on this issue? This idea that a mid-level program like Iowa just sells itself is nonsense, and is completely contradictory to your standard line that Iowa faces such huge institutional disadvantages that even medicore success should be embraced and celebrated here. I love how you cherrypick your arguments based on what fits into your pre-conceived notions about the program on that particular day.

RH, agree 100%. I think some people love flip flops and waffles.

2 rumors out of IC which probably means they arent true

1) Soup's house is on the market and he is leaving
2) Lester Erb also leaving

He has not just been getting random players from Illinois, he is consistently getting top level recruits that are highly coveted by dozens of other schools. .

Here is how this works...the guy assigned to a state must develop relationships with coaches in that state, but time was where that mattered a lot more than it does now as far as the identifying process. Now, you can see kids on youtube, hudl, professional recruiting services, etc...then the staff gets together and decides if they want to offer a kid. Once they do, that state's 'rep' begins the relationship process. I am not saying Lester doesn't hold his own there. But its not like the state guys are a one man gang. Some are more dynamic than others but this isn't an assistant on an island process.

Indiana just created a new position as Recruiting evaluator which resilted in them getting 4 4*'s.
Maybe KF can do the same at Iowa and promote Erb to that position, and bring in another RB coach, that or promote Raih to a full time position coach from GA
Also I read a post listing Staggs as a failed WR under Soup, the kid was a WALKON that did not develope big difference, as for KMM he was a 2* and had 30 catches for 323 yards as a FR, then followed it up with leading the team in reception as a SO with 52 catches for 571 yards. I would say Davis is doing his job, considering what he has to work with, as for Davis he had 47 catches for 571 yards.
so which is it was it JVB or bad WR's.
but with some of you want to blame anybody you can think of.

Latest posts