Splash hire

How clever of you props for seeing what I did there. Look at how red everyone's ***** got though. Insecure? worried about something? hilarious. And to the guy that wrote the novel to me...im flattered but I don't have time to read that.

I suspect you view yourself as incredibly clever. However, being clever and thinking you are clever are two very different things...

I also thought it was interesting where it appeared you were offended when people would deviate from your oh so clever OP.

Sorry to be so negative but with ISU hiring Hoiberg I have had to go back and reassess the Fran Macaffrey hire. Even though I only rated the hire at impact a 4-5 out 10. I've now gone back on that and will downgrade to a 2-3. We made a big noise and and ended up with a little peep. I think that three of the criteria many of us had were 1)unite the fanbase (based on the hire) 2)get people back to CHA (based on the hire) 3)create excitement (based on the hire). I don't think that any of these goals were accomplished.

I think the Hoiberg hire was sort of like Paris Hilton being brought in to run Hilton Hotels. Sure, it will get people excited at first and create a lot of hoopla but the bottom line is that person in charge damn well better know what he/she is doing. You can't just show up to work dressed in a suit and call yourself an executive ...

FM has been here for what 4 or 5 weeks and you are criticizing the hire? Sorry Iowa didn't hire Kentucky's coach just for you so you could check off your pathetic list, which at this point means nothing.

As for the clowns, who cares who they hired. Hoiberg has a steep learning curve ahead of him and has never recruited. Those two factors alone are going to make it tough for him and hopefully he will fail miserably.

Add to that the possibility of the Big 10 raiding the best teams from the Big 12 and leaving the clowns no where to go but conference USA (if they will take them) or to a mid major somewhere and the stars will be aligned in Iowa.

He has already named 2 of the 3 assistants (TJ O. and Grayer). So he has one seat left. HE also named TJ O. as associate head coach so an experienced X and O coach is probably not in the picture. Grayer does not have strong X and O experience this staff seems extremely light in that area.

Grayer will not be an assistant I presume, rather on the staff.

Grayer will not be an assistant I presume, rather on the staff.

Grayer won't be a GA. So the only other position would be something like Director of BB Operations which really negatates his value as he can not be involved in off campus recruiting in that position (per NCAA rules). So to me the only logical fit is as an assistant coach.

Last edited:
I suspect you view yourself as incredibly clever. However, being clever and thinking you are clever are two very different things...

I also thought it was interesting where it appeared you were offended when people would deviate from your oh so clever OP.

OK. So you gave some great philosophy there but no points to back up your philosophical jab. Thats not very clever.

Also, I don't care what people talk about...but I do like to get people going.

I think the Hoiberg hire was sort of like Paris Hilton being brought in to run Hilton Hotels. Sure, it will get people excited at first and create a lot of hoopla but the bottom line is that person in charge damn well better know what he/she is doing. You can't just show up to work dressed in a suit and call yourself an executive ...

That is a terrible analogy. I'm going to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and not back up my statement because I think most people on here are smart.

Ah no, it would cause people to dump Hilton stock right and left.
Pretty poor comparison.

Clone21, I appreciate your response. When I first hear the news, I thought the hire was all splash and no substance. I thought about how Alford (who had some head coaching success) came in here and Team control and hiring quality assistant coaches killed him for a long time. He brought in some very good talent and still underacheived for those 2 reasons IMHO.

I then thought that maybe Hoiberg was bringing in a nice assistant coaching team. I'm not so sure now. I like Hoiberg a lot and although I am not an ISU MBB fan, I would hate to seem him fail. I'm worried he is going to take a long time to get his legs under him.

I have a feeling he is going to bring in some nice talent and still strugle for a few years. Not trying to be cynical or bundle him with Steve Alford, because that's not fair to him, but I can't help it. Alford's struggles here should have been expected too.

Anyway, as negative as my outlook apears, I do wish him well because he is impossible not to respect.

He has already named 2 of the 3 assistants (TJ O. and Grayer). So he has one seat left. HE also named TJ O. as associate head coach so an experienced X and O coach is probably not in the picture. Grayer does not have strong X and O experience this staff seems extremely light in that area.

He has flat out said he's going to hire an old hand with head coaching experience. That will be the last assistant hire.

He has flat out said he's going to hire an old hand with head coaching experience. That will be the last assistant hire.

Would an experienced X and O guy want to come in and sit 3rd chair to Fred and TJ? And maybe 4th chair in the fans eyes to Grayer?

There may be one out there but I don't think it will as easy as everyone thinks to get someone that meets this criteria to sign on as an assistant while TJ is the associate

I agree 100%. I remember someone saying " You never hire who you can't fire" Hoiberg would be incredibly hard to fire, it would take a lot to cause everyone to turn against him. I think people might turn against him, buy JP will be right along side. This is his make or break hire, IMO, and it really worries me.

Why does it worry you? You won't get fired.

Sorry to be so negative but with ISU hiring Hoiberg I have had to go back and reassess the Fran Macaffrey hire. Even though I only rated the hire at impact a 4-5 out 10. I've now gone back on that and will downgrade to a 2-3. We made a big noise and and ended up with a little peep. I think that three of the criteria many of us had were 1)unite the fanbase (based on the hire) 2)get people back to CHA (based on the hire) 3)create excitement (based on the hire). I don't think that any of these goals were accomplished.

I think the three criteria you listed could still happen in time, and will, if McCaffery starts winning at Iowa. That didn't happen initially, because there were only a couple hires we could've made that would've made a splash and created instant buzz (Pearl, Dixon, Drew perhaps). So no, that hasn't really happened as a direct result of the hire. But if/when we start winning, everything will be ok, and these things will happen IMO.

I don't think we'll really know if either Iowa or ISU has made truly a good hire for at least a few years. Right now, it's too hard to say.

BJ Armstrong may have been a "splash hire" like Hoiberg, because of name recognizition, but who knows if it would end up being a good hire.

I'm normally opposed to making football/basketball comparisons, but Ferentz wasn't a splash hire either, and that worked out pretty well I'd say. Sometimes a splash hire doesn't always equal a GOOD hire.

1) There were plenty of coaches lined up, according to Gary Thompson 2) So, more money for assistants. 3) Plenty of people care or you wouldn't be posting. Quite a buzz around Ames today, regardless of what you thought about the hire.

1. Sure...sure, there was.
2. your money should be spent the coach.
3. The only people that really care are ISU fans, and if I was an ISU fan I would be nervous. This is like if Iowa hired B.J. Armstrong

Latest posts