Spencer Petras

dUCE BARELY KNOWS THE OFFENSE, he's been running the opposition plays with the scout team.

Petras is probably fine reading defenses and getting into the right play and leading. But after the snap, when its time to pass. He is lost.

Iowa places so much emphasis on pre-snap. Then they run more than 1/2 the time, then the passes 1/2 of the rest of the time are short and simple, so that mitigates the risk of a bad passer.

I wouldn't mind seeing reps for Padilla and/or Hogan this year. Hate to get too down on Petras being his first year, but not overly impressed. With his lack of athleticism/running ability, he absolutely has to be accurate on almost all throws with good decisions.

Last edited:
I’ll start by giving a little slack to BF

It’s hard to run an offense when your QB is so inaccurate. There’s been a lot of big plays and points left off the board because the last four years our QBs can’t connect on a pass over 20 yards (Stanley got a little better but he had to put so much air that our guys couldn’t get YAC)

we are back to a modified version of GDGD offense. No passes past 15 yard. No plays in space.

The offense is the reason Iowa is an average team. We can beat the bad teams (barely) and we consistently lose the games we need against the better teams.

unless we have a great leader at QB, we are stuck with these 26-20 games week in and week out.
Always feels good to beat Nebraska but tired of losing to NW, PU, and WI every year cause we can’t score

I defended Petras until today. He threw way too many passes at the receivers' feet. Coaching can't correct that. They'll let him finish the season as the starter, but it should definitely be an open competition come spring.
It’s called choking.

I’ll start by giving a little slack to BF

It’s hard to run an offense when your QB is so inaccurate. There’s been a lot of big plays and points left off the board because the last four years our QBs can’t connect on a pass over 20 yards (Stanley got a little better but he had to put so much air that our guys couldn’t get YAC)

we are back to a modified version of GDGD offense. No passes past 15 yard. No plays in space.

The offense is the reason Iowa is an average team. We can beat the bad teams (barely) and we consistently lose the games we need against the better teams.

unless we have a great leader at QB, we are stuck with these 26-20 games week in and week out.
Always feels good to beat Nebraska but tired of losing to NW, PU, and WI every year cause we can’t score
We have a shot at winning 6 games in a row. Season is still in front of them (except for the chance to win the division). He's a first year starter, and it remains to be seen how much he will improve. 2020 is a really weird year but they are currently winning. I'll take it for now. (see Minny and Nebby for reference).

Latest posts