Spencer Petras

If we don't run the ball effectively, and play action is not effective, Spencer is not good. No way he takes the team down the field in last two minutes for a win

that scenario reminds me of so much of Iowa in the last 10 years

You may or may not be correct. We'll see. Stanzi, 14 TD's vs 9 int's his redshirt sophomore year. Petras, 4 TD's vs. 5 int's so far in 6 games. That equates to 8 and 10 in twelve games. I'd argue the schedule Iowa's played so far has not been very difficult.

Except he's not playing 3-4 non conference easy games that pad stats. That matters if you compare him to other Iowa QBs.

I'm not convinced Petras should be Iowa's QB for the next couple of years, but I feel confident he's our best shot right now.

Except he's not playing 3-4 non conference easy games that pad stats. That matters if you compare him to other Iowa QBs.

I'm not convinced Petras should be Iowa's QB for the next couple of years, but I feel confident he's our best shot right now.
I agree racer on both comments. I think Iowa could be 7-2 right now (maybe 8-1 if the Purdue game was not fixed) if Iowa had been able to play the non-conf practice games to help get the new QB ready.
As for the future - This needs to Pete's season IMO. Next spring - Give the others a real good look.

PSU--QB Clifford --four star recruit

Neb--QB Martinez--four star recruit
Neb--QB McCaffrey--four star recruit

All of these guys were pretty highly recruited. Lots of talent. Hmmm. I think they all looked really pedestrian, and they have a little experience. As some of our usual fanbase bashes coaches and players, look around.

The only team I actually envy is Wisconsin. They are a notch above Iowa with QB and RB talent, usually. Everyone else in the Big Ten, not so much. OSU is OSU.

There are first year starters all over the country year in and year out who don’t suck. The fact that we can all sit here and name 10 Spencer Petras like guys that have played at Iowa over the years means that it’s the program. The recruiting, coaching and play calling are all part of the problem. Our greatest QB ever has career passing and TD records that have stood at Iowa the whole Ferentz era while not even remaining top 150 all time. Go look at some of the names that are ahead of Chuck all time and it will make you sick. We run a primitive offense and recruit QBs that fit that style.

The things you say are not false and he will get better but we have all seen this play out before.
Stanzi, Rudock, Beathard, and Stanley have all spent time on NFL rosters, with circa ten pro starts for CJB.

Very few programs (if any?) consistently develop great QBs, because the position is so difficult. Ohio State's QBs have lit up the college scoreboard, yet Cardale Jones, JT Barrett, and Dwayne Haskins have performed no better (and arguably worse) at the pro level. Probably because in college they throw to wide open WRs on simple reads.

And yet, I think it's possible we're the best team in the division. Fourth winningest coach in big ten history. We have two trophies this year from our rivalry games, with one to go. Petras ain't great, but these programs who change quarterbacks and coaches like socks are a lot worse off than Iowa. Stanley was super frustrating at times but he had a damn good year last year, IMHO. Sure, you can find five star sophomore quarterbacks on tv that look great. All I know is we're ranked after going 0-2.

I agree that Petras basically sucked yesterday, but if you go back, you'd see people wanted Stanley pulled last year too.... for Petras! Iowa fans being Iowa fans... We had a "bad win" yesterday. I'll take it!

Maybe we could hire a QB whisperer and great recruiter like Jim Harbaugh.

I know I haven't said he should be pulled yet. Don't know what the other QB's have to offer. All I'm saying is he's not good enough to play at this level right now. Seems the game's too fast for him at this time. I'm surprised he's not more mobile.

Would love to see a dual threat QB at Iowa. Know Hogan is that, but will he get a shot or transfer before he's given a shot?

I know I haven't said he should be pulled yet. Don't know what the other QB's have to offer. All I'm saying is he's not good enough to play at this level right now. Seems the game's too fast for him at this time. I'm surprised he's not more mobile.

Would love to see a dual threat QB at Iowa. Know Hogan is that, but will he get a shot or transfer before he's given a shot?

I agree. I think there should be a robust competition for starting QB next year. Spencer's our guy this year, and he may or may not have the chops to be a good three year starter for Iowa. We'll see. He has the arm, the height, etc, but I agree he locks onto receivers, makes a lot of errant throws, and looks lost at times. O well. Fun to complain after a "bad win" :)

Stanzi, Rudock, Beathard, and Stanley have all spent time on NFL rosters, with circa ten pro starts for CJB.

Very few programs (if any?) consistently develop great QBs, because the position is so difficult. Ohio State's QBs have lit up the college scoreboard, yet Cardale Jones, JT Barrett, and Dwayne Haskins have performed no better (and arguably worse) at the pro level. Probably because in college they throw to wide open WRs on simple reads.
Honestly I don’t watch the NFL anymore and could care less how many former hawks are holding clipboards. Nor do I think any college coach is sitting there thinking I think we’ll pass on a Brad Banks because he won’t amount to shit at the next level. Our receivers are getting open too and Petras can’t hit them. Like I said I’ve seen this all before.

It was clear Petras was BF and KF's guy when they announced him as the starter before fall practice even started. But they have to see what all of us are seeing -- especially repeatedly missing simple, wide-open crossing routes and making dangerous overthrows. They're not dumb. I thought it significant that even tho KF defended Petras yesterday he also offered that Padilla "is also improving" or something like that. Not to parse it too much like it's an uttering by the chair of the Federal Reserve, but this seemed significant. They will not pull Petras any time this year, but I think we all hope it's a wide-open QB competition in the spring. Remember, Padilla will be a redshirt So next year -- or a redshirt Fr if the Covid 'free year' applies, so there's a chance he could be a 3-4 year starter as well if he's named the starter beginning next fall.

Remember during preseason when Iowa sports writers were asking Petras if he planned to stay at Iowa or turn pro after his 1st year as a starter this fall?

There are first year starters all over the country year in and year out who don’t suck. The fact that we can all sit here and name 10 Spencer Petras like guys that have played at Iowa over the years means that it’s the program. The recruiting, coaching and play calling are all part of the problem. Our greatest QB ever has career passing and TD records that have stood at Iowa the whole Ferentz era while not even remaining top 150 all time. Go look at some of the names that are ahead of Chuck all time and it will make you sick. We run a primitive offense and recruit QBs that fit that style.

The things you say are not false and he will get better but we have all seen this play out before.
With all due respect Stanley was on pace to approach some of those records going into his senior year, and he started one less year than Chuck Long. But it was evident from Iowa State on that we were going to have trouble scoring TD'S in the red zone. That we would sorely miss Fant and Hocks. Once Duncan got on a FG roll Kirk was more than happy to settle for the sure three points vs risking a turnover.

PSU--QB Clifford --four star recruit

Neb--QB Martinez--four star recruit
Neb--QB McCaffrey--four star recruit

All of these guys were pretty highly recruited. Lots of talent. Hmmm. I think they all looked really pedestrian, and they have a little experience. As some of our usual fanbase bashes coaches and players, look around.

The only team I actually envy is Wisconsin. They are a notch above Iowa with QB and RB talent, usually. Everyone else in the Big Ten, not so much. OSU is OSU.
Wisconsin executes play action with surgical precision. That’s what triggers their passing game, and has for decades.

I agree. I think there should be a robust competition for starting QB next year. Spencer's our guy this year, and he may or may not have the chops to be a good three year starter for Iowa. We'll see. He has the arm, the height, etc, but I agree he locks onto receivers, makes a lot of errant throws, and looks lost at times. O well. Fun to complain after a "bad win" :)
You forgot the foot speed....or lack of it. Not going to scramble out of pocket and make plays. May be slower than Stanley

What I hate to see most is the inaccuracy. I dunno how you fix that. With no pressure, he rarely throws an on target ball. High, low, and on cross routes almost always throws behind the receiver, even on the completed balls. A good qb won't throw like a shotgun, splattering it everywhere. Feel bad for the receivers, they could be killin it if we had a good qb.

What I hate to see most is the inaccuracy. I dunno how you fix that. With no pressure, he rarely throws an on target ball. High, low, and on cross routes almost always throws behind the receiver, even on the completed balls. A good qb won't throw like a shotgun, splattering it everywhere. Feel bad for the receivers, they could be killin it if we had a good qb.
The problem as I've stated on this board before is, for the most part you can't "fix" accuracy. QBs tend to have it or they don't. Oh, you can tweak footwork, etc., but no less authority than Bill Walsh says it's the most important thing for a QB to have, and it can't be taught.

Honestly I don’t watch the NFL anymore and could care less how many former hawks are holding clipboards. Nor do I think any college coach is sitting there thinking I think we’ll pass on a Brad Banks because he won’t amount to shit at the next level. Our receivers are getting open too and Petras can’t hit them. Like I said I’ve seen this all before.
Dude...you need to find something else to do with your Saturdays. I like Iowa Football and your disdain for it is taking years off your life. Always focusing on the negativity is bad for you and your longevity. Have you tried yoga, aroma therapy, or prostitutes?

Petras is the best QB right now. That is why he is playing. This team is a doinked field goal away (NW game) from leading the West Division. He is not the most accurate passer right now, but our wide receivers need to make plays as well. There were a lot of dropped passes in the Nebraska game (Smith and Ragaini particularly).

The problem as I've stated on this board before is, for the most part you can't "fix" accuracy. QBs tend to have it or they don't. Oh, you can tweak footwork, etc., but no less authority than Bill Walsh says it's the most important thing for a QB to have, and it can't be taught.

I'm pretty sure accuracy can be taught. It's mechanics. The people you say can't be taught either are morons or their mechanics are so bad and can't be improved and they can't deliver the ball accurately. I was a golf teacher when I was young. If you can teach swing mechanics to people...you can teach throwing mechanics. However, there were people who had swing flaws that were a bitch to try and improve...and to be honest...they were always going to have consistency issues.

Now, what may not be able to be taught, is having the nuts to play QB, and the nuts to sit in the pocket and have a 300lb dude running at you who wants to remove your head...and with all that going on...you then relax, process the information in front of you, and throw an accurate ball with the proper angle & velocity. This may not be able to be taught. The jury is still out on Petras right now...because he's done it several times...but he's struggling with it, and hasn't been as consistent as he's needed to be.

Brian Ferentz is trying to win games without having to have Petras think too much. If you notice, he's using the naked bootlegs to the sideline where they are easy throws and decisions...quick seam routes where formations have given us a window and Petras doesn't have to look off a LB, or quick lateral throws where Petras is just getting the ball out out quickly to the receiver to get YAC....and then the out throws where Petras can use his arm strength...but they are all safer throws that don't require him to think too much...or do too much.

Listen...Petras played well at Penn State. He had one really bad decision...and if you take away the 4 on purpose throw aways...he's 18-24 with no picks. We will take that all day. Is that not accuracy? He struggled against Nebraska...I believe because that awful pick shook his confidence. He needs to let those mistakes go and just play. The kid has played 6 games against B10 teams...he really could have used a few cupcakes to settle in.

He’s not good. Simple as that. Very similar to Stanley but seems to be even slower on foot.
His INT against NE was one of the worst I’ve ever seen at any level. He lacks composure, and that surprised me since he came from a pretty good high school program.

i do wonder if playing QB at Iowa they pound it into you to never make a mistake that these kids play completely wound up. It takes a Tate, Stanzi, and CJ to overcome the coaching.

Iowa under Petras will be average to good. That won’t be enough to win the West but good enough to keep our fan base happy. Cause gosh darn it, Kirks a good guy! We can’t expect anything better. Slow starts and one division title in 16 years is all we can ask and hope for.

back to subject tho, there’s no good reason to not play the backups this year. If SP struggles bring someone in and see how they do. Go with hot hand.

NE may have beaten us had their center not ruined multiple series for them. But they made a change. Ditto with QB. They went with the guy who gave them the best chance.

We go with Kirks way

Dude...you need to find something else to do with your Saturdays. I like Iowa Football and your disdain for it is taking years off your life. Always focusing on the negativity is bad for you and your longevity. Have you tried yoga, aroma therapy, or prostitutes?
You are way too sensitive, someone can love Iowa football and have an opinion on whether or not a player will be good or not. I have seen enough football in my lifetime to know that Petras isn’t going to be a superstar. I hope he proves me wrong though.

Latest posts