Sparty/Texas Tech

As a cyclone fan I am glad the Alamo bowl is dropping the big 10. I always thought this is a dream destination for the clones and it is painful to see the big 10 keep sending mediocre 6-6 teams there.

As a cyclone fan I am glad the Alamo bowl is dropping the big 10. I always thought this is a dream destination for the clones and it is painful to see the big 10 keep sending mediocre 6-6 teams there.

LOL at the Alamo being a dream destination.

Well since you guys will never sniff the BCS, I guess it's good to dream about something.

I agree. That is why I think the big 10 would be smart not to add a 12th team and have a championship game that would most likely knock a team out of a BCS game.

That's weird...since Iowa and Ohio State played for the right to go to the Rose Bowl, which is a BCS bowl...and then Iowa got a bid to the Orange Bowl...which is also a BCS bowl...

Try again?

That's weird...since Iowa and Ohio State played for the right to go to the Rose Bowl, which is a BCS bowl...and then Iowa got a bid to the Orange Bowl...which is also a BCS bowl...

Try again?

I'm with the Clone on this; the last thing I want to see the Big 10 do is start a conference championship game. I know that at some point in the next 5 years that it will happen, but I won't like it anymore then, either.

There are a lot of worse places to go for a bowl game than San Antonio. From everything I've ever heard about the Alamo Bowl, it's a top notch event.

Jon's always said it's his favorite bowl as far as the entire experience...it's definitely not a crap bowl like 2/3's of them.

I'm with the Clone on this; the last thing I want to see the Big 10 do is start a conference championship game. I know that at some point in the next 5 years that it will happen, but I won't like it anymore then, either.

I'm saying that even if there was an official championship game for the Big10, it wouldn't put a stop to the conference getting 2 bids.

Edit: I'd rather see the Big10 stay as it is (11 teams), but switch to a Pac-10 type of schedule to determine a TRUE champion, where everyone plays each other.

Last edited:
I'm saying that even if there was an official championship game for the Big10, it wouldn't put a stop to the conference getting 2 bids.

No it wouldn't, but the current arrangement has worked out pretty well for the conference; you'll have to go back at least 4 years to find the last time the Big 10 didn't get two teams in.

Getting two teams in is good for the conference, no matter how they get there. I wouldn't want a situation where Iowa (or someone else) has to upset OSU in the championship game.

Edit - saw your edit, and I would agree with that but take it a bit further. The only way that teams in the Big 10 could play a true round robin would be if everyone got rid of one non-conference game, replaced it with a conference game, and added one more game to the end of the schedule.

Last edited:
I agree. That is why I think the big 10 would be smart not to add a 12th team and have a championship game that would most likely knock a team out of a BCS game.

If the Big Ten had a title game that would be 4 out of 6 conferences with title games (and the Big East is rarely, if ever a two bid league). I'm guessing a couple of those conferences would get 2 bids, especially with 10 BCS teams now.

Since the BCS has gone to 5 games conferences with a title game have had two bids more then conferences without one. Every time the non-title two bid conference has been the Big Ten. I'd think they'd be fine.

Edit: I'd rather see the Big10 stay as it is (11 teams), but switch to a Pac-10 type of schedule to determine a TRUE champion, where everyone plays each other.

I would love the Big 10 to go to a Pac-10 type schedule. 2 non-conference games and 10 conference games.

No it wouldn't, but the current arrangement has worked out pretty well for the conference; you'll have to go back at least 4 years to find the last time the Big 10 didn't get two teams in.

Getting two teams in is good for the conference, no matter how they get there. I wouldn't want a situation where Iowa (or someone else) has to upset OSU in the championship game .

I agree SR...but clone fan was just trying to take a shot at the conference by saying it wouldn't have 2 teams good enough and worthy of 2 bids, if they played a conference title game.

Latest posts