South Park Goes Off on Penn State

The south park reference is this, "Gingers have no soul"..... Mcqueary is a ginger, therefor he has no soul.

As it relates to 'ginger', I guess its not something I am all that familiar with aside from South Park references, and maybe there was a thread on this site discussing it last year...cannot recall. Is that a term that is universally seen as derisive and hateful? Guess I just dont know as I have never heard anyone I know use the term in speech.

Oh, so now you're going to drop g-bombs, too? Of course it is universally derisive and hateful, but given the diminishing number of red headed Americans and the minority status of red headed Americans, the majority will claim it is not a derogatory term.

Oh, so now you're going to drop g-bombs, too? Of course it is universally derisive and hateful, but given the diminishing number of red headed Americans and the minority status of red headed Americans, the majority will claim it is not a derogatory term.

LOL. No, I am not dropping bombs. And I feel you have sucked me into a rabbit hole here and I am not gonna play ball with you ;)

Some people may be laughing at Penn State, making jokes about what happened over there.

Quite frankly, I think joking about the outcome caused by immoral acts is taking the low road.

I for one wish this scandal had never happened. Many lives ruined is no laughing matter.

OMG get off your moral high horse. There isn't a single person in this country that doesn't wish it had never happened. Unfortunately it did and there is nothing that can be done today to reverse the outcome. We need to learn from it and draw attention to it in order to prevent it from happening in the future.

Humor is a coping mechanism for most. It sure as hell beats crying.

The comparison is not silly at all. I had a red headed friend in HS that got every bit as angry when called that as any black person would about the other word. Like I said though, I just find it strange that when it comes to any other group of people, it is widely considered wrong to use these kinds of epithets. I do not understand why it is OK when referring to a red head, and people are just "being too sensitive", but when it comes to ANY other group it is widely considered to be unacceptable. Many redheads react differently to this word, MNHFreak for example, does not seem to mind it. I guess having a friend who was highly offended by it may make my view a bit different than yours, but surely you can see the point I am making here. Why are redheads treated differently than every other group on Earth in this regard?

The comparison is not silly at all. I had a red headed friend in HS that got every bit as angry when called that as any black person would about the other word. Like I said though, I just find it strange that when it comes to any other group of people, it is widely considered wrong to use these kinds of epithets. I do not understand why it is OK when referring to a red head, and people are just "being too sensitive", but when it comes to ANY other group it is widely considered to be unacceptable. Many redheads react differently to this word, MNHFreak for example, does not seem to mind it. I guess having a friend who was highly offended by it may make my view a bit different than yours, but surely you can see the point I am making here. Why are redheads treated differently than every other group on Earth in this regard?

Nice story, but it doesn't have much bearing on why it's silly to compare these words. The reason it's silly has nothing to do with a few individual reactions or feelings bout the word, rather the way the word is viewed in society as a whole.

Try this...

Stand in the midddle of the mall on Saturday and yell ****** at the top of your lungs. Come back to the same spot 2 hours later and yell ginger at the top of your lungs. The difference in reactions you'll get will demonstrate why it's silly to compare those two words.

Nice story, but it doesn't have much bearing on why it's silly to compare these words. The reason it's silly has nothing to do with a few individual reactions or feelings bout the word, rather the way the word is viewed in society as a whole.

Try this...

Stand in the midddle of the mall on Saturday and yell ****** at the top of your lungs. Come back to the same spot 2 hours later and yell ginger at the top of your lungs. The difference in reactions you'll get will demonstrate why it's silly to compare those two words.

Can you read chief? This was my overall point. Why do so many people think this is OK? I think it does matter what the people being called this think. Are you telling me that it was ever OK to use the N word? At one point it was completely acceptable in the minds of the majority of people to say it. I contend it was always wrong, and the majority were ignorant bigots. That is what makes it OK then, what the majority think about it? :rolleyes:

Can you read chief? This was my overall point. Why do so many people think this is OK? I think it does matter what the people being called this think. Are you telling me that it was ever OK to use the N word? At one point it was completely acceptable in the minds of the majority of people to say it. I contend it was always wrong, and the majority were ignorant bigots. That is what makes it OK then, what the majority think about it? :rolleyes:

*Sigh* I read just fine. The difference is the n word was universally used in this country for hundreds of years to put down and degrade an entire race of people. The word ginger has no such history in this country. Until it develops such a history it’s silly to compare the two words.

Last edited by a moderator:

genious

sp

*Sigh* I read just fine. The difference is the n word was universally used in this country for hundreds of years to put down and degrade an entire race of people. The word ginger has no such history in this country. Until it develops such a history it’s silly to compare the two words.

Says the non-redhead who does not get called a g*****. The word puts down an entire group of people, and many of them agree. To he11 with them though, because the majority of the country thinks it is fine. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will go ahead and drop this. I have spent the last 15+ years treating this word the same as the N word, so to me there is no difference. The majority can think what they want, but maybe you should take the feelings of others into account before slinging words like this around. Your opinion of the word does not make someones claim of offense less valid.

Says the non-redhead who does not get called a g*****. The word puts down an entire group of people, and many of them agree. To he11 with them though, because the majority of the country thinks it is fine. :rolleyes:

For ****s sake man, it isn't true because I say so, it's true because it's true. The word "ginger" has never been systematically used to put down, degrade, or subjugate an entire race of people. That is 100% fact and is not debatable. I have no doubt some people in the world currently use ginger to put down red heads, however a great many more use that word differently. Personally I love the gingers, my wife is a ginger, my girlfriend before her was a ginger, and my girlfriend before her was a ginger. I my friend am a ginger lover, in fact it's almost an addiction I have. I'm a gingerholic.

The full episode is on southparkstudios.com

Matt and Trey have never pulled punches. They hit everyone, even themselves.
But usually, after all the stuff they throw at you, there is a lesson or a bigger picture moment in every episode.

Latest posts