Soup is gone....

I dont see KF making any changes. Hes getting more conservative.

None of this works without an awsome defense. Norms gone and doesnt look like KF wants to change. His chance for change was last year, maybe this year(but he passed on change very as quickly as he could). Hes gonna ride GD short pass to failure.

That is the funniest post I have read in months. Congratulations, and thanks.

No problem! I find this funny that if the rumor is true that some of these guys are looking at programs like Texas Tech and Minnesota. OK.... so you want to go play for a program that will probably wind up in one of these crap bowls if all goes well. Have you been to Lubbock? I'm not saying Iowa City is the best city in America but come on.... Lubbock! Do these kids know that most people in Minnesota do not care at all about Gopher football, especially if the Vikings have something going?

Yes we sucked big last season... but we have a winning tradition, there is no pro football team in Iowa, the fan-base is hungry to see this turned around, we still bring 60K + to games and you have a great chance of earning playing time.

I dont see KF making any changes. Hes getting more conservative.

None of this works without an awsome defense. Norms gone and doesnt look like KF wants to change. His chance for change was last year, maybe this year(but he passed on change very as quickly as he could). Hes gonna ride GD short pass to failure.

Changes have been made... the result was worse. That is the real issue.

Everyone may be correct about the 'GD short pass to failure' but until I see another QB execute this offense I want to reserve judgement. I sat in the stands and saw too many receivers running down field, sometimes un-covered without a look from the QB. It certainly looked to me like the QB decided where the ball was going before the snap and was very afraid of the blitz (or look of blitz).

Maybe that's GD... we'll find out more this coming year. If it's all short-yardage stuff again, then I'll gladly jump on the get GD out-of-town bandwagon. I just want to see another QB play first. I really like and admire JVB but I saw way too many games over the course of his career that looked a lot like last year. By this I mean major offensive ineffectiveness, especially in the passing game and in the B1G.

Did I make a prediction on how many wins next year would bring? All I said paraphrasing is that I thought changes were needed, liked the changes and want to give them some time to play out because I suspect they will be good and the results will come. I did not predict next year's win total.

I am not concerned with the number of wins. What I am concerned about is the following....

1. Put the best 22 football players on the field
2. Hold players accountable in terms of playing time - performance matters again
3. Play the biggest, nastiest, most physical offensive line possible
4. Run the football at least 60% using multiple running backs (not wearing out one guy by game 5)
5. Find the best QB who is an accurate passer, has mobility in and out of the pocket (not necessarily a running QB), is tough and a winner that teammates respect
6. Stop giving up big plays on defense
7. Play either a nickel or dime on obvious passing downs (no more LB's covering WR's in passing situations)
8. Create a wingback position to get Canzeri or Bullock on the field at the same time as hammer RB's like Weisman - run jet sweeps or quick passes to them on occasion
9. Throw down the middle of field if the safeties cheat-up on occasion

To sum up... I want to see an improvement in the quality of play. If that happens the wins will come at some point. Might be next year or the following but they will come.

Good luck with all of that happening with ferentz at the helm. He's proven to you year after year that all of those things do not happen when he's in charge.

FreedComanche

Good luck with all of that happening with ferentz at the helm. He's proven to you year after year that all of those things do not happen when he's in charge.

FreedComanche

You are probably 1000% right. I guess I'm just down to I am still an avid Hawkeye and will ride it out. Changes are being made very methodically in KF fashion. If the results do not change then there will come a point to cut ties.

My biggest hope is I think BF has KF's ear and I believe he is aggressive in nature and is pushing for good change. I really believe this was a good hire. There also could be a new KF motiviation that if he wants to hand a legacy over to BF then he'd better get this turned around asap. He can deny publically but he knows the results are not OK.

Potential does not buy anything but I truly believe that 2014 could be an up-tick year. Next year I want to see a quality of play improvement. The good thing is after 14 years we all know indicators for this program when things look good even before the wins come. You could see it at the start 2008 and once Stanzi was finally given the job things took off. In 2014 we should have the best set of players we have had since this last run on the field and hopefully the QB identified.

Last edited:
I get that. But I've spoken to more than five former Hawkeyes, some who were coached by Soup and some who were elite players for Iowa in decades past and make it to practice...and none of them had good things to say about Soup as a teacher of the game. All liked him as a person

It just goes to show the power of a brand name, doesn't it? It's easier to coach 4 and 5 star WR's than it is 2 and 3 star.

Changes have been made... the result was worse. That is the real issue.

Everyone may be correct about the 'GD short pass to failure' but until I see another QB execute this offense I want to reserve judgement. I sat in the stands and saw too many receivers running down field, sometimes un-covered without a look from the QB. It certainly looked to me like the QB decided where the ball was going before the snap and was very afraid of the blitz (or look of blitz).

Maybe that's GD... we'll find out more this coming year. If it's all short-yardage stuff again, then I'll gladly jump on the get GD out-of-town bandwagon. I just want to see another QB play first. I really like and admire JVB but I saw way too many games over the course of his career that looked a lot like last year. By this I mean major offensive ineffectiveness, especially in the passing game and in the B1G.
I agree. I am generally pretty pessimistic, but I need to see GD orchestrate another train wreck with a different QB before I throw him under the bus. Although there were some calls that were quite maddening...

Latest posts