Sos

Am I the only one who would rather see Iowa lose a close game to a major college team....Notre Dame, USC, Texas....even Mizzou, than to play and win by a TD over a UNI, North Texas type team? The goal is still a B1G championship, everything after that is gravy. Get ISU and UNI off the schedule.

Am I the only one who would rather see Iowa lose a close game to a major college team....Notre Dame, USC, Texas....even Mizzou, than to play and win by a TD over a UNI, North Texas type team? The goal is still a B1G championship, everything after that is gravy. Get ISU and UNI off the schedule.

Mizzou is worse than ISU why the F would you want to play that shit team

Anyone who thinks Iowa should consider cfp implications w/ their non-con schedule is kidding themselves.

They're not going to be good enough to be a legitimate contender, and the odds of everything working out perfectly like they did in '15 (when a good but not great team had a window of opportunity) aren't high enough to matter.

Otoh, if you raise the quality of your non-con, you could put some excitement into the program. Create a buzz. Raise the program's national profile.

If you don't think that's needed, or that matters (say, in recruiting), then congrats. KF is the perfect coach for you, as that seems to be his opinion as well.

Yeah, because nothing says "National Champs" like a non-con schedule of Mercer, Fresno St, and Colorado St. Oh, wait......

I don't really care who we play in non conference. Yeah you would like to see some competition.
Now that ISU is actually winning a few games in the b12, that helps. Being locked into that always being our "premier" non conference, stinks though. They should just do it every other year.
It works out better for both teams. Both can schedule someone different and expand the brand and name a little bit more.
Nobody cares about that game outside of Iowa!!! Kids here already know both names. Nothing like paying for three advertising spots and only using two of them. It's bad business sense.
Having the series year in and year out hurts both teams in brand recognition and ultimately recruiting.

What other p5 winning program has another P5 in state game every year like this??
OSU? Wisconsin?? Nebraska??
A few do, but not very many. Mich MSU, but that's conference play.

Last edited:
Yeah, because nothing says "National Champs" like a non-con schedule of Mercer, Fresno St, and Colorado St. Oh, wait......
I'm sure it was just an accident you left FSU off that list... FSU didn't end up earning them much cred by year-end, but it was a tough game at the time it was played, and obviously when it was scheduled.

Similarly, last year was a little different, but usually Bama's division is a lot better than Iowa's.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Pitt series. So they would be my ACC "choice" for inter-conference series. Others would be Tennessee or Missouri for $EC, Colorado for Pac-12, and if we had to have a Big XII not named ISU, I'd go withK-State. Maybe when Snyder leaves it can be given a renewed shot, but no way he wants to come into Iowa City.
I'm right there with ya except maybe Colorado. For a myriad of reasons I don't see KF doing anything with teams out west. I'd like to see it again but those series with the AZ schools we had left a bad taste in his mouth. But yeah Duke, NC, even schools like that would be fun. Pitt I think was wanting to get into playing PSU again so I doubt they'd double up and play us too if they do that. I sorta would like to play Notre Dame. But they play so many BIG schools already I don't see that happening.
Getting to play any Texas schools be it Texas/ A&M, TCU etc would be good for recruiting or a GA/FL school. Get us down there would be nice. We are always after kids from those states and to be able to sell that they'd get to play a game closer to home once or twice while here could be a sales pitch on top of good for our SOS

I'm sure it was just an accident you left FSU off that list... FSU didn't end up earning them much cred by year-end, but it was a tough game at the time it was played, and obviously when it was scheduled.

Similarly, last year was a little different, but usually Bama's division is a lot better than Iowa's.

That game wasn't close with or without their QB. SEC West has been Bama and Auburn only for awhile now LSU pretends to be good and then never is. The East has been Georgia the chokers for over 10 years running now. Everyone else has been garbage since Tebow left Florida

Getting to play any Texas schools be it Texas/ A&M, TCU etc would be good for recruiting or a GA/FL school. Get us down there would be nice. We are always after kids from those states and to be able to sell that they'd get to play a game closer to home once or twice while here could be a sales pitch on top of good for our SOS
Exactly. That'd be my preference as well. Play 1 or 2 mid-tier P5's from preferred recruiting areas, for the reasons you mentioned.

That's why:
Mizzou is worse than ISU why the F would you want to play that shit team

Because of what he said (and because overall they ARE better than ISU).

It just seems stupid to me when I see it, you guys see it, yet the brain trusts at Universities can't see it.
I'll say it again It's bad for business.

What other p5 winning program has another P5 in state game every year like this??
OSU? Wisconsin?? Nebraska??
A few do, but not very many. Mich MSU, but that's conference play.

There are a lot of P5 state rivalry games in and out of conference.

FSU Florida
Bama Auburn
Clemson and South Carolina
ASU Arizona
USC UCLA
Oregon Oregon St
Okalahoma Olahoma State
and so on and so on

SEC West has been Bama and Auburn only for awhile now LSU pretends to be good and then never is.
Are you sure?

Top 25 finishers

B1G-W....………...SEC-W

WIS #6....…………AL 1
NW 20..…………AUB 10
…………………...LSU 18
…………………...MSU 19

WIS 9...………....AL 2
…………………...LSU 13
…………………...AU 24

IA 9...…………….AL 1
WI 21....………….MIS 10
NW 23..…………..LSU 16

WI 13....…………..AL 4
……………………..MSU 11
……………………..MIS 17
……………………..AUB 22

That's pretty one-sided.

btw, if "LSU pretends to be good and then never is" what does that say about your boy KF?

Exactly. That'd be my preference as well. Play 1 or 2 mid-tier P5's from preferred recruiting areas, for the reasons you mentioned.

That's why:

Because of what he said (and because overall they ARE better than ISU).
For sure we are hammering the St Louis and KC areas now for kids. I would say if we are arguing which school is better between MO and ISU than does it really even matter?

You must not be to bright or never watched their games if you actually believe MIzzou is any good?
If you pull your head out of your ass and open the link that I sent you (you do know how to follow a link right?) you will see plenty of top 25 rankings, including a #1 ranking over the past 20 years. Not to mention decent bowls, not like ISU playing against a non-P5 team in East St Louis, or wherever. And Mizzou has had an 11 win season, and a 12 win season in the last five years. But my point wasn't that they need to being playing Missouri, just someone better, more relevant than Iowa State, which Missouri is and has been.

There are a lot of P5 state rivalry games in and out of conference.

FSU Florida
Bama Auburn
Clemson and South Carolina
ASU Arizona
USC UCLA
Oregon Oregon St
Okalahoma Olahoma State
and so on and so on
Every one is pretty much in the hot spots of 4 and 5 star talent, where brand recognition is not at such a premium. Not to mention how many of those in state rivalries are in conference games?? Ie: must play, not scheduled by choice.

Last edited:

Latest posts