Soooo....Anti-Ferentz crowd

Nobody is writing the season off. I don't think I said anything of the sort...I was asking you when does it matter at what point in the season? Our D may be as good as it's ever been. I don't see us getting run out of any game including Wisconsin...but if I see yet another anemic offensive performance against them, Purdont, Illinois....then I gotta wonder what the hell they are doing. Tough to believe we can compete for West Division championships with 112th ranked offense. So far since the divisional split KF has won 0, 0,0 so I'm more inclined to disagree that WINS alone are a good measure for many of us it's competing with a chance to play in the Big Ten Championship game. If we beat Bucky I'm a believer and maybe they've only shown us parts of the playbook.

I think there's a great deal of truth in this. They're OOC games, so while they don't have an impact (outside of injuries) on future conference games they are there to prepare us for conference play. That said, our D looks great, but opposing offenses should get better down the road so those numbers will most likely reflect that as the season goes on. What concerns me is that fact that our O is far from rolling at this point and defenses are only going to get better. After this weekends game I'd like to see our defense continuing to keep points and yards to a minimum while our offense finds some sort of life. We seem to historically get better as the season progresses, but I think we need to see huge strides on the offensive side of the ball in the next few weeks for that to pay dividends.

I'll add that I've been pleasantly surprised by punting game, but the missed field goals can't happen. Offensively when were not finding the end zone we need all the points we can get.

And before you go off on me again Skeletor I mean Big Ten Championships not West Division. He has won ONE.
No need to go off. Im all for an intelligent discussion on the Hawks. I think that pre-season most thought N. Illinois and ISU would be tough games. Did we hope they would be offensive shoot-outs? The offense wont labor the whole season in my opinion. A couple of decent teams to start the season will create data different than had we played lesser competition. I'd hope for a score in the 30's at least this week. If not, I'll join you on the wagon. I'll still know that the talent is there. Regardless, i agree with those concerned about the offensive packages and play calling. I'd expect it to improve quite a bit this week.

There are some really good opinions in this thread, and I would be the first one to say that I am as frustrated with the offense as anybody! So, had to look it up, how many times in the last 6 years have we scored 40+ points in a game? Looked it up, ( because I felt I had to... ) we have scored 40 or more points in a game 15 times since the start of the 2012 season. That's out of 80 games, including all bowl games and the B10 championship game. In that same time period, we have scored 20 or less points in 31 games out of the 80. So that leaves 34 games that we scored 21 to 39 points. I don't have the time, ( or the will power ) to break that down into percentages, but.....never mind, I did the %'s and it came out 19% we scored 40+......39% we scored 20 or less, and 42% we scored somewhere in between. I'd be interested to see some other schools numbers in this area of question. One last thing, I know that some of the points were off special teams as well as defense, but was not going that deep into research! Go Hawks!!!

Phil makes pretty good coin as a Defensive Coordinator. He may well value the quality of life he has as an assistant as opposed to a head coaching gig somewhere. Let's face it, in today's world of high stakes collegiate athletics, you're hired to get fired as a head coach. And in reading some of the articles on PP, it sounds like he enjoys the teaching aspect of the game. You can't do that as much as a head man.

Phil is the 8th highest paid assistant coach in the Big 10. Don Brown (MI), Tim Drevno (MI), Pep Hamilton (MI), Bob Diaco (NE), Kirk Ciarrocca (MN), Greg Schiano (OSU) and Robb Smith (MN) all make more than he does. Brown makes almost twice as much.

I think he stays because he likes his work environment.

Good analysis.

Shorter version: The pro set offense does not and cannot work if you don't have a legit downfield threat. Period. A little creativity wouldn't kill either.

Have to agree. When we were the "Bullies of the Big 10" we weren't all that creative with our offense, but we definitely had some downfield threats.

Pretty simple, really. Those who show support for Fran and Kirk, as well as Gary Barta, know better than to pay any attention to you as well as those who constantly repeat the same negative mantra.

Exactly. Because people who frequent fan boards like this one are not the big donors that Barta needs to pay attention to.

Name one top ten coach in college football that repeatedly has an anemic offense annually and still coaches for a power five NCAA college football program after seven or more seasons.
name a more than a couple of coaches not named nick savanna that have a good offense annually and are still coaching at their same school after 7 seasons.

What is wrong with the Iowa fan base to accept this?

So what is causing this spirit of indifference? A lot has changed in Iowa since I lived and grew up their as a child and young adult. For example, traditional Marriage in Iowa was re-defined by a majority vote by the citizens of Iowa.
D, I’m pretty sure you have history wrong. A majority of the citizens of Iowa didn’t redefine marriage. The Iowa Supreme Court did and a majority of the citizens of Iowa then voted 3 or 4 of them off the Supreme Court.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to go off. Im all for an intelligent discussion on the Hawks. I think that pre-season most thought N. Illinois and ISU would be tough games. Did we hope they would be offensive shoot-outs? The offense wont labor the whole season in my opinion. A couple of decent teams to start the season will create data different than had we played lesser competition. I'd hope for a score in the 30's at least this week. If not, I'll join you on the wagon. I'll still know that the talent is there. Regardless, i agree with those concerned about the offensive packages and play calling. I'd expect it to improve quite a bit this week.
Looked better on offense....Wisconsin will be the real test but a W here and we begin Big Ten play in the driver's seat!

No BF called a great first half....his best work yet. The frustration with KF is that they had this talent all year and didn't use it. USC did not have a B1G defense, but the originality and the ability to use his playmakers was not evident in the PSU, Mich, or Wisconsin game, KF's conservatism and stubborness kept this from being a really special year.

No BF called a great first half....his best work yet. The frustration with KF is that they had this talent all year and didn't use it. USC did not have a B1G defense, but the originality and the ability to use his playmakers was not evident in the PSU, Mich, or Wisconsin game, KF's conservatism and stubborness kept this from being a really special year.
A lot of the stuff BF called tonight would not have worked against more disciplined defenses like Wis., Michigan, or Penn St.

Latest posts