Something doesn’t add up

It's not about getting a 15 player roster. It's about improving the roster. Most of the time, guys will just end up leaving anyway. Once they do, you can give your kid the scholarship for the year. Like Fran did this year. But it sure is nice to have the option to oversign by 2 every year. It gives you a way better chance at a better roster. We sure could have used that luxury the year we signed Jok. We missed out on a pretty darn good player that year. If that happened now, Fran would just take Morgan anyway and have his kid walk on for a year.

You can still oversign by 2 if you really want even if you put CM and PM on scholarships. I'm just saying hypothetically how big the roster would be and what the perceives to future recruits if you take both CM and PM on walk-on and pay their tuition. Not to mention juggling playing time. Other than pemsl I'm not sure who you can cut out of the rotation for this upcoming year. I think Kriener could be, but if Kriener puts it together like it seems he is at the end of the season I will gladly take him as a big man option with Garza. Fredrick is a decision to look for, whether he redshirts or not? Or whether he doesn't redshirt and he plays or not?

I believe there's a 15 player limit with no more than 13 being on scholarship

You are right, 15 players on the roster and 13 active players. My mistake. So you basically just have "scholarship players" including PMac and CM to get you to 15.

Is it that common now to juggle scholarships and anticipate what player A is unexpectedly do in nine months and try to remember what you told player B and make sure it doesn't interfere with player C and watch your NCAA P's and Q's the whole time? Wow, no wonder these coaches are grumpy and stressed. And why recruiting has become an absolute jungle. It's almost like they have to re-learn the alphabet just to coach and recruit.
Yeah... No that'd drive a dude bonkers. Too unrealistic to get into the predicting the future business. It's like how we all could have seen C Williams leaving Iowa just not when he did. He stuck around till after that foreign trip they went on and by then most of us (coaches) probably thought well he's in. Well nope he bailed. Throwing his redshirting of Conner down the drain to start with and his whole yo/yo of a season and the rest is history. Thankfully he'll still have another year of eligibility. But yet if Williams would have decided to leave sooner maybe coach could have brought someone in...

I look at it this way. Say he doesn't give Patrick and Connor scholarships. He pays for their tuitions and he has 5 open scholarships with 10 players already on the roster for this late '18 period and the '19 class. If he fills all 5 scholarship players that's 15 total players on the roster, plus Till and Ash and they even have an open walk-on spot.....we're talking about an 18 player BASKETBALL roster. That's insane. I think 15 is a lot already. I'm a Fran supporter (not the point of the post), but my one critique is that he plays too many guys and then we're asking him to have 18 players on his roster and most are expecting those 5 scholarships to be filled with even better players than we have already? We would have a 15 player rotation (not actually...I'd hope). Not to mention what it would look like for future recruits and incoming 2020 recruits (Foster, Suggs, etc.) who we have good relationships with already. I can only imagine what that conversation sounds like, "Hey we can field an entire football team, offense and defense, but you should come to Iowa. There's ample of playing time with the other 17 guys we have on the roster."
All jokes aside, I understand where people are coming from, but think about the kind of prospect Iowa could get this late in the process for '18. Grad transfers are already deciding (I know he could've tried sooner), but he didn't so what are the other options? The only HS recruit you're going to get right now is someone who's decommitted late in the process or a project, late bloomer (i.e. Maishe Dailey) which fans would not be happy with because of immediate help. The only prospect I've seen Iowa could potentially have a chance with if they were to engage at this point that would be a good prospect is Ed Chang. Athletic, legit 3 man from Nebraska. Played on Barnstormers with Joe Wieskamp and seems to be pretty good friends with PMac.
Juco transfer doesn't seem likely either, especially if it's a PG cause that takes away from Carton.
So what is FM supposed to go after at this point in the process?
It's way too many to play, that's for sure but with today's transfer climate, I'll bet you every coach would love to have 2 extra scholarships to give.

It's way too many to play, that's for sure but with today's transfer climate, I'll bet you every coach would love to have 2 extra scholarships to give.

Yeah but that's always a possibility to give them scholarships on a yearly basis. I mean CM could have the scholarship this year and not the next. Scholarship are yearly based, I'm sure you know that, but giving CM and PM scholarships right now is the right thing to do and isn't stunting Iowa's basketball program. I don't even know if that was part of the OP. I guess my point is you can play their scholarships tentatively every year if you need to clear up room for another good player to come on board.