Something doesn’t add up

Don't get me wrong, i think a grad transfer would help the team for sure, but I think everyone's looking at the wrong position. I think it would need to be a SF. We don't have a true SF on this roster. Now I think Wieskamp/Moss/Dailey can suffice as a SF. He went after the guy from Syracuse but he chose otherwise. Having 2 PG's and 3-4 players that can play the SG spot isn't exactly a welcoming crew to someone who has one year left and probably wants to play every second on the floor. Through his deficiencies JBo should not be benched after starting 2 years for someone who comes in for 1 year. Any good grad transfer is being contacted by blue bloods from what I've seen on twitter and such. I think Fran believes and I am almost in the same boat that the people he has is just as good if not better than any of the grad transfers he could pull.
I agree what is needed for this team is a defensive stopper. Period! How many players had CAREER nights against us. A player with a decent wingspan and good lateral quickness who is decent in transition is what this team needs. I think this team can score, but if we can't stop the other guy it won't matter.

The reason Fran didn't pursue or acquire a grad transfer for help...is clear.

Some Iowa fans are idiots and morons.

In addition to the AD with his contracts he forgets about...

By 2021, youngest son Jack will be on the horizon. Isn't he playing up at least one grade on the AAU circuit?

Have no idea what position he would play even when he gets to high school, just that he's good.
He was listed on one of the rosters for the team I won’t mention, but after his older brother split town I’d assume he did too.

I sure do. That's why I think you bring one in reguardless of team chemistry if you can find one. I can see a difference between upgrading with a freshman and upgrading with a guy who will just be there one year, then put you back in the same boat. I still think its worth it tho.

Also I read my post again and screwed up typing. I meant to say I think Fran thinks he can win with this roster. Not I think we can will with this roster. I will edit it.
If Fran would have used some foresight in the first place when he recruited the current classes we might not be having this discussion. This crazy situation isn’t just a fluke or a matter of being unlucky.

Also, wasting a scholarship on his kid when he’s worth 8 digits isn’t being noble, it’s being stupid. I get the whole “he deserves it, golly jeepers” argument, but give me a break. It’s basically a free scholarship. What logical reason could you possibly have to not use a big advantage against the rest of your conference?

If I were a millionaire with a son who was good enough to play on scholarship for Iowa, I’d be the first person to call McCaffery and tell him, “I’m picking up the tab for this one, get out there and find another kid who’s going to help you win.”

I like Fran, and I’m trying real hard to keep liking him, but his recruiting is horrible and he’s lying in a bed that he made.

I have no idea how well he'll play next year. I hope it works out. Regardless, Fran and he went into this with their eyes wide open.
That may be the case, but Fran got testy with the media last year when the questions seem warranted, and Connor and Pat have got into it with several people on Twitter. Not sure they can handle the heat if this thing goes bad.

You don't need to necessarily have a point guard who creates his own shot. You just need anyone who can. I assume Wieskamp will be that guy. I'm guessing he will be able to create his own shot better than anyone Fran has ever had.

You just side-stepped the most important part of the question. The answer is an obvious no for anyone who has seen CM play. Just like JB in lacking lateral quickness to stop initial penetration. That's where we got killed last year. How many dunks, lay ups and wide open 3's last can he attributed to JB unable to keep his guy in front of him? In zone that lack of lateral quickness meant he was to slow recover when teams kept the ball moving.

If Fran would have used some foresight in the first place when he recruited the current classes we might not be having this discussion. This crazy situation isn’t just a fluke or a matter of being unlucky.

Also, wasting a scholarship on his kid when he’s worth 8 digits isn’t being noble, it’s being stupid. I get the whole “he deserves it, golly jeepers” argument, but give me a break. It’s basically a free scholarship. What logical reason could you possibly have to not use a big advantage against the rest of your conference?

If I were a millionaire with a son who was good enough to play on scholarship for Iowa, I’d be the first person to call McCaffery and tell him, “I’m picking up the tab for this one, get out there and find another kid who’s going to help you win.”

I like Fran, and I’m trying real hard to keep liking him, but his recruiting is horrible and he’s lying in a bed that he made.

I would pay too if I was loaded. If Fran could find an impact player this late in the game, I'm sure he would too. But he would actually have to land 2 of them to not give Connor one. If I were Fran, I would give a different walk on a scholarship for a year before I gave Connor one.

You just side-stepped the most important part of the question. The answer is an obvious no for anyone who has seen CM play. Just like JB in lacking lateral quickness to stop initial penetration. That's where we got killed last year. How many dunks, lay ups and wide open 3's last can he attributed to JB unable to keep his guy in front of him? In zone that lack of lateral quickness meant he was to slow recover when teams kept the ball moving.

I just went back and looked. I'm not sure what question you think he asked me.

I don’t think foresight was the issue for Fran at least not in terms of what kind of players he wanted to recruit. I think he wanted plenty of bigs and a thin backcourt so Connor would have his spot. I think he really thought last years team would be pretty good. So in a way, he built the team he wanted, he just didn’t get the results he expected. It was a miscalculation and one that I think should cost him his job here.

But he would actually have to land 2 of them to not give Connor one.
That reflects a very, very sad state of affairs for what should be a “major” basketball program. Unless someone has outright quit or gotten kicked off the team, you should never have that scenario come up where you have two available scholarships (yes, I’m counting Connor’s as available) and can’t find someone to use them on.

If none of your walk ones are good enough by this point...again, fail.

I’m pretty sure guys like Painter or Beilein wouldn’t have let this happen in the first place, but if it did they’d make it work for them, not against them.

That reflects a very, very sad state of affairs for what should be a “major” basketball program. Unless someone has outright quit or gotten kicked off the team, you should never have that scenario come up where you have two available scholarships (yes, I’m counting Connor’s as available) and can’t find someone to use them on.

If none of your walk ones are good enough by this point...again, fail.

I’m pretty sure guys like Painter or Beilein wouldn’t have let this happen in the first place, but if it did they’d make it work for them, not against them.
It seems like Duke had 7 scholarship players not that long ago. In this age of mass transfers , I assume 2 open rides happen all the time.

I would pay too if I was loaded. If Fran could find an impact player this late in the game, I'm sure he would too. But he would actually have to land 2 of them to not give Connor one. If I were Fran, I would give a different walk on a scholarship for a year before I gave Connor one.
As a HC in his 7th season, he should have planned ahead with the idea of never giving his kids a scholarship, if that was something he ever intended to do. He's been able to recruit 13 scholarship players + Connor and Patrick, all along. No?
P.S. I'm not advocating for or against. Just pointing out the facts of the situation.

He was listed on one of the rosters for the team I won’t mention, but after his older brother split town I’d assume he did too.
We will see a lot of Minnesota teams in the AAU circuit this spring. We play B level, one step below elite, but I'll keep my eye out for Jack if for no other reason than I would like to see how much he has improved since Spring 2017 Barnstormer tryouts.

It seems like Duke had 7 scholarship players not that long ago. In this age of mass transfers , I assume 2 open rides happen all the time.
The difference is that teams like Duke can dominate with their one and dones, and don’t have tons of scholarships tied up for a full 4 years.

I agree what is needed for this team is a defensive stopper. Period! How many players had CAREER nights against us. A player with a decent wingspan and good lateral quickness who is decent in transition is what this team needs. I think this team can score, but if we can't stop the other guy it won't matter.

you just described Christian Williams. that's why i cut Fran some slack for last season. but its his one get out of jail free card. he's paid to fix it.

As a HC in his 7th season, he should have planned ahead with the idea of never giving his kids a scholarship, if that was something he ever intended to do.
This.

How many coaches out there would take 8 extra scholarship years during a 6 year period if they were offered the chance?

I’m guessing all of them.

Well, except one.

This.

How many coaches out there would take 8 extra scholarship years during a 6 year period if they were offered the chance?

I’m guessing all of them.

Well, except one.

you mean, two, right? you're referring to fran and kirk...who did it 3x.