Something doesn’t add up

But is he quick enough to guard B1G point guards and create his own shot when closely guarded. That was a huge hole in this team last season.

You don't need to necessarily have a point guard who creates his own shot. You just need anyone who can. I assume Wieskamp will be that guy. I'm guessing he will be able to create his own shot better than anyone Fran has ever had.

Knowing your coach is trying to bring someone in for one year to take your spot because he thinks you can't cut it is bad for moral. There is no debating that. The question is, is it still worth it? Most fans think hell yes. I think Fran thinks it's not. I think he can win with his roster and last year was a downhill slide that they couldn't stop. Kinda like MSU in football a couple years ago. They didn't need new players. They needed a fresh start. I'm not saying I agree. I just think that's what Fran thinks.
Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t I heard you continually on this board talk about bringing in new players that are better than our current ones? Seems like that would apply here to the grad transfer situation.

Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t I heard you continually on this board talk about bringing in new players that are better than our current ones? Seems like that would apply here to the grad transfer situation.

I sure do. That's why I think you bring one in reguardless of team chemistry if you can find one. I can see a difference between upgrading with a freshman and upgrading with a guy who will just be there one year, then put you back in the same boat. I still think its worth it tho.

Also I read my post again and screwed up typing. I meant to say I think Fran thinks he can win with this roster. Not I think we can will with this roster. I will edit it.

Don't get me wrong, i think a grad transfer would help the team for sure, but I think everyone's looking at the wrong position. I think it would need to be a SF. We don't have a true SF on this roster. Now I think Wieskamp/Moss/Dailey can suffice as a SF. He went after the guy from Syracuse but he chose otherwise. Having 2 PG's and 3-4 players that can play the SG spot isn't exactly a welcoming crew to someone who has one year left and probably wants to play every second on the floor. Through his deficiencies JBo should not be benched after starting 2 years for someone who comes in for 1 year. Any good grad transfer is being contacted by blue bloods from what I've seen on twitter and such. I think Fran believes and I am almost in the same boat that the people he has is just as good if not better than any of the grad transfers he could pull.

I think you might be surprised. I don't think he'll wow anybody with his individual play but he's not a ball stopper, chucker, over dribbler, etc. He's smart enough, long enough that if he plays within himself and gives max effort on the floor, he'll be a welcomed addition. I'm not sure he'll give the max effort at both ends, as that's not something he showed in high school. I'm hoping the entire team knows it's needed, after this last season. I'm not willing to wager on him, one way or the other.
I mean I don’t think he’s going to be out there dribbling it off his foot, I just don’t think he brings a whole lot to the table we don’t already probably have or couldn’t have relatively easy.

The problem is with this fan base if anything goes bad with not only Connor’s play but with this team, he is going to be heavily scrutinized. It could get ugly.

I mean I don’t think he’s going to be out there dribbling it off his foot, I just don’t think he brings a whole lot to the table we don’t already probably have or couldn’t have relatively easy.

The problem is with this fan base if anything goes bad with not only Connor’s play but with this team, he is going to be heavily scrutinized. It could get ugly.

Yep, let's remember Cullen Neal (son of Craig Neal). This article shows how hard it can be. He transferred from New Mexico to Ole Miss because it was tough playing for dad. The funny thing is, after this article, then Cullen grad transferred from Ole Miss to St. Mary's for his final season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...xico-cullen-neal-is-much-happier-at-ole-miss/

Good point. It will get ugly, no matter what. Thems the breaks when you play your kid at a Big Ten program. It's a no win situation unless your kid is a 1st round NBA draft pick.

I don't think Fran will be able to recruit a top 100 PG/Combo Guard until 2020 or 2021. So, don't get your hopes up.
By 2021, youngest son Jack will be on the horizon. Isn't he playing up at least one grade on the AAU circuit?

Have no idea what position he would play even when he gets to high school, just that he's good.

Conor will play but I think (hope) Fran knows better than to start him over a better PG. I think people, lightning specifically, are drastically overestimating the effect Conor has on Fran recruiting a point guard. It's not like Fran was succeeding with recruiting PG's before Conor got here. He's just not good at recruiting PG's.

Conor will play but I think (hope) Fran knows better than to start him over a better PG. I think people, lightning specifically, are drastically overestimating the effect Conor has on Fran recruiting a point guard. It's not like Fran was succeeding with recruiting PG's before Conor got here. He's just not good at recruiting PG's.
I can think of exactly one example where, all things being equal, the son of the HC lost the battle for playing time, and that was Bobby and Pat Knight. (I'm not counting non scholarship players like lil' Lick).

There have to have been others, but the coach's son(s) are going to play.

I'm sure the word has been out there in the proper circles for some time what a prospective point guard recruit is facing at Iowa. In this case what Lightning is saying makes perfect sense to me. And correct me if I'm wrong, but lightning never said Connor would completely take the position over, just get equal minutes.

If Gesell wouldn't have lost confidence in his shot, people would have a different opinion of Fran recruiting point guards. As a freshman he looked like he was going to be really good.

We got better PGs (Cartwright/ Gesell /Clemons) before Connor committed and haven't been able to get 1 to sign since. Unless you consider Bohannon a PG.

You don't need to necessarily have a point guard who creates his own shot. You just need anyone who can. I assume Wieskamp will be that guy. I'm guessing he will be able to create his own shot better than anyone Fran has ever had.
You need 2 or 3 guys on a team that can get their own shot, if you want conference titles. We saw what having 1 guy (Jok) on a team gets us, last season. No NCAA tournament invite.

You need 2 or 3 guys on a team that can get their own shot, if you want conference titles. We saw what having 1 guy (Jok) on a team gets us, last season. No NCAA tournament invite.
And be willing to take the shot (Jarrod?) Fran was critical of Uthoff for disappearing down the stretch in key BIG games in 2016. And he was headed for Lafester Rhodes 2.0 in the Iowa State game that year. What did he have at the half, 26, 28 points?

And be willing to take the shot (Jarrod?) Fran was critical of Uthoff for disappearing down the stretch in key BIG games in 2016. And he was headed for Lafester Rhodes 2.0 in the Iowa State game that year. What did he have at the half, 26, 28 points?

I think 31 then 2.

That's beneficial for sure. But if you have one that is really good at it, you're going use him every time anyway. You can win with running an offense and trying to get a shot, then giving it to your go to guy at the end of the shot clock.

And we missed the tourney Jok's senior year because of defense.

There's no good reason.
Unless there was no good guard that wanted to come and play at Iowa. That’s a good reason.

Face it. With JBo’s 2 years remaining and 4 years for McJr and JW. Finding quality guards will not be easy.

That's beneficial for sure. But if you have one that is really good at it, you're going use him every time anyway. You can win with running an offense and trying to get a shot, then giving it to your go to guy at the end of the shot clock.

And we missed the tourney Jok's senior year because of defense.
No question poor defense led to early season losses (Memphis, Omaha) that killed our RPI.

When we finally got some quality late season BIG wins (Wisconsin, Maryland) it was too late.