Something doesn’t add up

NikeHawk21

So we have heard that Fran wants to bank the scholarship for 2019, however that doesn’t make sense when it comes to recruiting a grad transfer. A grad transfer would come to Iowa for one year and be done and his scholarship opening up for a 2019 recruit.

Here is the quote from fran: “You look at a grad transfer. You look at a transfer as a possibility. But then if I do that, then I don’t have a ’19. I want to have a scholarship in ’19,” Fran McCaffery said. “So that’s probably what we’re going to do. Hold on to it and just go after the ’19 class.”

Fran certainly knows how the grad transfer thing works, so does anyone have a good reason for why Iowa wouldn’t be in the grad transfer market looking to upgrade their team after one of the worst seasons in program history? There is really no downside to bringing in a grad transfer for one year unless you think he’s going to hurt your locker room or you can’t manage your rotation.

The only reason I can think of that Iowa has not even pursued a grad transfer starts and ends with our newest scholarship player and his potential minutes.

Last edited:
Team chemistry is the reason for sure. Right or wrong, I'm sure that's his thinking.
How would Fran know that a guy doesn’t fit with our team chemistry if he doesn’t even go after them or bring them on campus? If our players can’t stand to have someone else brought in then I would say we have some soft players. From everything I’ve gathered we haven’t even pursued grad transfers, so I’d have to disagree with that take.

He feels he can’t get one that will have an impact . That would be my guess.

There's no good reason.
That’s the thing, there’s no GOOD reason, but there is a reason.

More and more I just get the feeling this was the plan all along and when you look at it some of it makes sense, although I would admit some of this is just opinion based:

-Recruiting 5 bigs in 2016 & 2017 classes and only two guards including Connor.

-Williams surprising transfer (nobody really knows what happened here)

-Dailey’s lack of increased PT even with several solid performances

-Not going after grad transfer guard following a year where we struggled mightily especially with quickness in the backcourt

Again I think Fran thought this season would go much better than it did and was very surprised at the results. The ultimate goal was to coach Connor and Pat on the same team here at Iowa but he realizes that the seat is getting much warmer after last seasons results. That’s why he got so testy with reporters last year and was talking about his body of work.

He feels he can’t get one that will have an impact . That would be my guess.
I have said many times on this board that grad transfer recruiting wouldn’t be easy, but that’s still no excuse not to try following one of the worst seasons in program history.

Once again, if YOU were a PG/Combo Guard grad transfer, would you even consider a team where the HC's son is playing the same position? Honestly? You get 1 year at your new location and 1 year only. Would you risk that 1 year on the situation we have? I can tell you without a doubt that I wouldn't.
Why do players "grad transfer"? Playing time or a chance to win big. We aren't going to win big next year. The HC's son is competing for that same playing time and he's a FR.
I don't think Fran could attract a grad transfer that was even as good as Ellingson, honestly.

I don't think Fran will be able to recruit a top 100 PG/Combo Guard until 2020 or 2021. So, don't get your hopes up.

Once again, if YOU were a PG/Combo Guard grad transfer, would you even consider a team where the HC's son is playing the same position? Honestly? You get 1 year at your new location and 1 year only. Would you risk that 1 year on the situation we have? I can tell you without a doubt that I wouldn't.
Why do players "grad transfer"? Playing time or a chance to win big. We aren't going to win big next year. The HC's son is competing for that same playing time and he's a FR.
I don't think Fran could attract a grad transfer that was even as good as Ellingson, honestly.
Again it might be an uphill battle but it’s no reason not to try. If Fran says he wants to have a scholarship for 2019 that’s great but he can still try to land a one year grad transfer. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Again it might be an uphill battle but it’s no reason not to try. If Fran says he wants to have a scholarship for 2019 that’s great but he can still try to land a one year grad transfer. The worst that can happen is they say no.
We don't know that he's not trying. What he says in front of the microphone and what's happening in reality, aren't always the same thing. For instance, he claimed that the recent defections on the roster have been known about for a long time. Why in God's name would you give those players PT at the end of the season? I wouldn't.
He was either lying about having known for a long time or he's a bigger idiot for allowing them to play.

We don't know that he's not trying. What he says in front of the microphone and what's happening in reality, aren't always the same thing. For instance, he claimed that the recent defections on the roster have been known about for a long time. Why in God's name would you give those players PT at the end of the season? I wouldn't.
He was either lying about having known for a long time or he's a bigger idiot for allowing them to play.

He barely played BE and I believe he said that when Wagner came to him it was the first time he had ever heard him say he wanted to play football. He said he had obviously heard about how good he was at football and heard from fans that he should play football, but he said when Ahmad told him, it was the first he had said anything. But the fact is, you're right, I doubt Fran shows any of his cards to the media, why would he?

He barely played BE and I believe he said that when Wagner came to him it was the first time he had ever heard him say he wanted to play football. He said he had obviously heard about how good he was at football and heard from fans that he should play football, but he said when Ahmad told him, it was the first he had said anything. But the fact is, you're right, I doubt Fran shows any of his cards to the media, why would he?
He wouldn't. I think he's banking the scholarship for 2 reasons and they both revolve around Connor.

He wouldn't. I think he's banking the scholarship for 2 reasons and they both revolve around Connor.
Exactly, no way in hell he's gonna bring in someone to compete with Connor. Fran might be telling Carton that he'll play him at the point, but I guarantee ya he plans for him to play the #2 if he can land him. Same with Terry.

How would Fran know that a guy doesn’t fit with our team chemistry if he doesn’t even go after them or bring them on campus? If our players can’t stand to have someone else brought in then I would say we have some soft players. From everything I’ve gathered we haven’t even pursued grad transfers, so I’d have to disagree with that take.

Knowing your coach is trying to bring someone in for one year to take your spot because he thinks you can't cut it is bad for moral. There is no debating that. The question is, is it still worth it? Most fans think hell yes. I think Fran thinks it's not. I think he thinks he can win with his roster and last year was a downhill slide that they couldn't stop. Kinda like MSU in football a couple years ago. They didn't need new players. They needed a fresh start. I'm not saying I agree. I just think that's what Fran thinks.

Last edited:
If Connor is the player I think he is, this thing is going to get very ugly the next few years.
I think you might be surprised. I don't think he'll wow anybody with his individual play but he's not a ball stopper, chucker, over dribbler, etc. He's smart enough, long enough that if he plays within himself and gives max effort on the floor, he'll be a welcomed addition. I'm not sure he'll give the max effort at both ends, as that's not something he showed in high school. I'm hoping the entire team knows it's needed, after this last season. I'm not willing to wager on him, one way or the other.

But is he quick enough to guard B1G point guards and create his own shot when closely guarded. That was a huge hole in this team last season.