Social Issue/Political Discussion Relating to Iowa Football

Winner winner chicken dinner.
So what do we do about that?
I'm sensitive about physical traits also, I would guess everyone is. Is that everyone else's problem or a sensitivity issue within oneself? Maybe it's both. But really guys razz each other and for sure cross the line, but only an asshole keeps going when they are told that something bothers the other person. I just don't see that in any of this.
While I can't say I condone the posting of grades like that (and that's the worst transgression I've heard about) I also can't say he wouldn't have done the same thing to a white guy or a Mexican guy. So yeah it wasn't to cool but I don't think it had anything to do with race and that's where the over sensitivity comes in.
A girl doesn't want to go out with you.
First thing you do is call her a bitch. Why? Because you are sensitive about your weight and think that's why she rejected you. You are sensitive about your financial situation in your piece of s*** car and think that's why she rejected. You think that it's about your race and that's why she rejected you.
When really maybe it's that she already met the love of her life. Or did she doesn't want to date anyone and wants to focus on her career. Maybe it has nothing to do with you as a person.

I get everything you are saying. BUT in every instance this is about people on the same level in terms of power.

Now if the manager of a store asks an employee out and she says no and the manager calls her a bitch, does she feel the same way as if it was another dude working with her? Or does she now feel her job is threatened?

This is where we are with this treatment. This isnt buddies cracking on each other. These were grown men with the power to take away an education or a game these guys love. THAT is the difference.

I believe that there could certainly be racist behavior going on in Iowa Football and many others. Brian asking him if he "was going to go rob a store" in his ski mask. Now many would never say that.. as it could be construed as you are saying to someone you are black so you rob places. But I've heard that line said to many a white person wearing a ski mask. It was clear from the very beginning that Ferentz didn't trust Wadley. If it had anything to do with racism, maybe or maybe not. I had lots of coaches that didn't like me and were mean to me in my life or didn't trust me - most of us have. I need more concrete examples to believe Wadley here. Sorry but I read this as Wadley trying to blame Iowa for his lack of being a big star or going to the NFL.

I mean his story about trying to get his weight up and throwing up. Yeah sucks I get it.. try being a Wrestler.

A good friend of mine was super skinny in high school and couldn't gain weight.. our coach rode his ass about it all the time - said he couldn't beat any one on the girls team in a fight ect.

I'm not saying it's all okay... racism is not - but it's not all racism.

Last edited:
I agree that it isnt all racism. But in this world we live in, it is abuse.

You guys need to figure this out. #metoo was a huge movement. But, hey, in the 80s there were movies of dudes forcing girls to have sex and it was okay.

We live in a different world than we were raised in. Porkys would not fly today. Animal House would not fly today.

You cannot stay in the time you were raised in. Things change and in this century, things change at a pace we are not used to.

These last 2 generations are waaaay different than we understand. But do not discount them.

I agree that it isnt all racism. But in this world we live in, it is abuse.

You guys need to figure this out. #metoo was a huge movement. But, hey, in the 80s there were movies of dudes forcing girls to have sex and it was okay.

We live in a different world than we were raised in. Porkys would not fly today. Animal House would not fly today.

You cannot stay in the time you were raised in. Things change and in this century, things change at a pace we are not used to.

These last 2 generations are waaaay different than we understand. But do not discount them.

Well I teach high school students... about half of them black. I believe in institutional racism and many other things - however I also see a lot of things go down that are wrong and doing kids harm, all because no one wants to risk being labeled racist.

Believe me I live in "todays" world and have plenty of experience with the nuances.

Well I teach high school students... about half of them black. I believe in institutional racism and many other things - however I also see a lot of things go down that are wrong and doing kids harm, all because no one wants to risk being labeled racist.

Believe me I live in "todays" world and have plenty of experience with the nuances.

Exactly. This is a way different world. You cannot berate a student and expect performance like we were in HS. That shit dont fly.

This is a world of trauma and understanding. And many on this board does not get what these kids suffered.

I have said in thepast that this inst Texas A&M during Bear Bryant. This is Mike Gundy saying Im 40 and Im a man

I was as frustrated as you having a FB run a HB stretch but he lost 2 fumbles on 33 carries... That will land you on the bench anywhere as a freshman.

Coaches have there different way of handling fumblers, Cbacks giving up big plays, dropped passes, lots of missed tackles, too many QB picks and fumbles. Fry would usually hold them out a bit but then get them back on the field fairly soon in the same game but maybe not in the most crucial of positions.

KF just seemed to lose faith and but a kid on the bench for a looooonnnnng time. Maybe he was being cautious and at the same time trying to drill the need for not making those mistakes into the players head.

If you are a high scoring team you keep your play makers in if they make a mistake and you can put up with some defensive mistakes.

Believe me as well, most teachers will look the other way than be involved in a "racial situation" which will completely ruin their careers. No white teacher survives once labeled. I remember a few years ago in Junior High going to my girl's PTC and seeing a your lady standing on a basketball court where several kids were trying to play, white and black, and yelling all types of vulgar and racist comments. 20 feet away two TAs were pretending not to hear this girl. I guess having their backs to the court gave them credible belief they couldn't hear what I could hear 50 feet away plain as day. Can you imagine the invincibility this your lady must have felt. Put this child who believes she can do this and can into a sudden no-tolerance environment and imagine the confusion later in life. I don't envy teachers trying to explore the past racist policies against blacks and minorities and balance them with a practical policy moving forward to provide fairness to all. The need for black teachers and police from local communities has never been greater.

I have a question for members of this board and specifically men of color who have served in the military. I don't know how many are on this forum and thank you for your service. I only know the opinion of my family members and friends who all happen to be white who served about their beliefs on kneeling during the anthem. Your opinions would do a lot to help me understand this issue better.

I have a hard time believing much of what Wadley says. We're talking about a guy who offered his autograph for a price and then he didn't provide the autograph after getting paid. He did that to a lot of people which tells me a lot about his character. It just seems like a guy who didn't get the NFL paycheck he hoped for so now he's resorting to trying to get a settlement payment by throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks.

I get everything you are saying. BUT in every instance this is about people on the same level in terms of power.

Now if the manager of a store asks an employee out and she says no and the manager calls her a bitch, does she feel the same way as if it was another dude working with her? Or does she now feel her job is threatened?

This is where we are with this treatment. This isnt buddies cracking on each other. These were grown men with the power to take away an education or a game these guys love. THAT is the difference.

Ok, but I will bet you a million dollars that if one were to look hard enough, we could find a white player who felt hurt by something a African American coach said.
I mean come on the statistical odds of that not being the case are phenomenal.
In the end we are dealing mostly, I say mostly because I don't condone some of the things we have heard, but mostly we are dealing with hurt pride and feelings. While I don't condone, doesn't mean it was racist either. It doesn't mean it was against heavier linemen. It doesn't mean it was against smallish running backs. So on and so forth.
That's going to happen in life and there is no way around it.
Not to mention being hyper sensentive. Which I am not saying is bad, I am, my wife is, most people I know are about something or another.

Last edited:
I believe that there could certainly be racist behavior going on in Iowa Football and many others. Brian asking him if he "was going to go rob a store" in his ski mask. Now many would never say that.. as it could be construed as you are saying to someone you are black so you rob places. But I've heard that line said to many a white person wearing a ski mask. It was clear from the very beginning that Ferentz didn't trust Wadley. If it had anything to do with racism, maybe or maybe not. I had lots of coaches that didn't like me and were mean to me in my life or didn't trust me - most of us have. I need more concrete examples to believe Wadley here. Sorry but I read this as Wadley trying to blame Iowa for his lack of being a big star or going to the NFL.

I too have joked around with white people who were wearing a mask like that in grocery stores and convenience stores also. Brian could have been totally joking around. We do need to be careful sometimes to tell other that we are joking around however.

I lived in the Atlanta area and worked around thousands of black people and never once had an issue with any of them. One thing the women would do is call their boyfriends the (N) word and no one thought anything about it. Also the men did it a lot to their buddies. “Hey (N) what are you doing after work?” “Where you going “N”.

I however never used that word. When playing pop music if I knew that word was coming up in a song I would turn the radio down at the point for a second or two. I totally loved most of them in-fact never ever had any issues ever. Also treated all of them with love and respect.

It’s just too damn bad that we judge a large part of them simply because of the bad behavior of a few.In fairness the same could be said about many police officers who are judges due to the rotten apples among them. If we can possibly weed out the bad ones on both sides of the fence then tremendous strides can be made for the benefit of ALL.

I have a question for members of this board and specifically men of color who have served in the military. I don't know how many are on this forum and thank you for your service. I only know the opinion of my family members and friends who all happen to be white who served about their beliefs on kneeling during the anthem. Your opinions would do a lot to help me understand this issue better.

You aren't going to find who you are asking. I've interviewed countless ww2 vets. Many there were several things that surprised me.

1. They don't feel like heroes as they know something they did or didn't do cost a buddy his life.

2. They liked the German people more than other people's. Except the Nazis and SS. They felt inner turmoil as they wanted to hate the Germans but couldn't.

3. They generally were terrified young men.

4. They were fighting for freedom. Yet black soldiers were tread like animals or worse. Men at Bastogne gave a lot of credit for holding during the siege to a crack black artillery unit. The soldiers were severely conflicted by the actions of their own country.

Rob... How come you’re not posting AK’s tweets from last year? The ones that said he loved his time at Iowa... which are now conveniently deleted from his account. Seems like AK thinks he can get a fat payday out this... hidden agenda? Rob - what’s your agenda? Any kind of research would have quickly revealed the “strange” change of heart...

Attachments

• 94E5940E-5610-4A02-85EF-D8EBC4A0DDF4.jpeg
    94E5940E-5610-4A02-85EF-D8EBC4A0DDF4.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 7
I have a hard time believing much of what Wadley says. We're talking about a guy who offered his autograph for a price and then he didn't provide the autograph after getting paid. He did that to a lot of people which tells me a lot about his character. It just seems like a guy who didn't get the NFL paycheck he hoped for so now he's resorting to trying to get a settlement payment by throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks.

Atta way to pile on Wadley. Loved your play but you lost cred now. Going for the ol settlement paycheck.

Latest posts