Social Issue/Political Discussion Relating to Iowa Football

I wholeheartedly agree that this is about finances and not athletics. With that said though, from an athletic perspective it's going to be an absolute shit show if the season is somehow salvageable. Collectively it won't be as bad as the fallout for a number of schools financially if the season is axed and there's no athletic revenue, but its going to be ugly.

Oh I agree. Not sure how it can be managed and worked out if teams cease during the season because of it going thru a team. Playoffs?? Selecting teams?? Will be a mess.

I am not disagreeing with you. I'm merely pointing out the fact that as you said you might have to add some professors. Yes and those professors are going to need rooms to profess in. Preferably with heat and electricity. They are probably going to need parking spaces. The food services are going to need upgraded to accommodate 400 new students and teachers. All that is going to require a couple more janitors and maintenance men.
I'm not saying it's billions, but it's a chunk of change when you add up every detail.
Plus now you have all the overhead of an empty stadium to deal with.

Rooms and utilities are fixed costs. The HVAC is always running in those giant buildings. There is room capacity. A school like the University of Iowa doesn't hit some marginal cost tipping point by adding 1% to its student body via athletic scholarships such that it needs to build new buildings for undergrads and crap like that. I was talking specifically about scholarship costs. They are honestly near $0 to discharge. You are conflating marginal cost with a bunch of accounting allocations that will get charged against the scholarships. Those are all totally fake. The actual, out-of-pocket cost most schools incur on athletic scholarships is insanely low.

Are you saying none of the football players would want to go to Iowa as just a student or wouldnt have the academics to go to Iowa, or what exactly?
I think the question is if you took out the athletic department scholarships, could you otherwise fill those seats at the same marginal price that the athletic department is paying and I think on that, the answer is a resounding no for a school like Iowa. The athletic department fills a lot of full freight out of state scholarships. Iowa doesn't have the draw to fill those. The girl from Maryland who goes to Iowa to do rowing ain't going to Iowa and paying $31,000 per year of out of state tuition. It simply isn't going to happen, but the athletic department will gladly give her a scholarship funded by the football donations and media rights deals and the general university can then park an ass in a seat at $31k.

Honestly, only the really elite schools could readily substitute out the athletic department seats at full tuition.

My dream scenario would be ND cancelling a season because no conferences allow their teams to play non-conference games (ACC tie in will ruin that) and the SEC being systematically penalized for years of never adding a 9th or 10th conference game. Won't ever happen but I can dream.

BYU I can feel sorry for as an independent, but F*** ND. I'd love to see it bite them in the ass. But now you'll see them tote their conference affiliation because it benefits them.

Oh I agree. Not sure how it can be managed and worked out if teams cease during the season because of it going thru a team. Playoffs?? Selecting teams?? Will be a mess.

The other big mess is going to be that classless programs, like oh I don't know, say Auburn, might use it to try to infect classy rivals, like Alabama. Say some sorority at Auburn has The Germ roll through like two weeks before the Iron Bowl. What is to stop them from sending that entire sorority over to Tuscaloosa to try to infect the Tide? The only thing stopping them is a moral code, which I'm not sure many people in Auburn (other than Bruce Pearl) have.

The other big mess is going to be that classless programs, like oh I don't know, say Auburn, might use it to try to infect classy rivals, like Alabama. Say some sorority at Auburn has The Germ roll through like two weeks before the Iron Bowl. What is to stop them from sending that entire sorority over to Tuscaloosa to try to infect the Tide? The only thing stopping them is a moral code, which I'm not sure many people in Auburn (other than Bruce Pearl) have.

Wasn't it Bama students that were throwing Covid parties? I'm guessing elite program fanbases are working toward herd immunity.

Wasn't it Bama students that were throwing Covid parties? I'm guessing elite program fanbases are working toward herd immunity.

Nick and Dabo both want The Germ to sweep through now rather than when hardware is on the line. It's not clear that every player will be able to get it before the season, so Auburn may be able to resort to these tactics. Personally, I think it is disgusting, but Auburn fans and Iowa State fans have such an inferiority complex that they'll do shit like attack opposing bands, so you can't really rule it out.

Rooms and utilities are fixed costs. The HVAC is always running in those giant buildings. There is room capacity. A school like the University of Iowa doesn't hit some marginal cost tipping point by adding 1% to its student body via athletic scholarships such that it needs to build new buildings for undergrads and crap like that. I was talking specifically about scholarship costs. They are honestly near $0 to discharge. You are conflating marginal cost with a bunch of accounting allocations that will get charged against the scholarships. Those are all totally fake. The actual, out-of-pocket cost most schools incur on athletic scholarships is insanely low.

They might be fixed now but that doesn't change the allocation or budget.
You put a new roof on your house, is that not part of owning a home? It's fixed right? It still needs to be calculated in.
Look no further than the last 15-20 years in public high schools. The student body goes up and it's more than just adding a few teachers. I understand that Iowa may already have the facilities available for the current student body including scholarships. but that does not mean they're not constantly trying to upgrade, improve and maintain them. That cost is a break-even cost. It's staying static assuming no more and no less students. But that cost also being breakeven means no improvements to stadiums weight rooms classrooms cafeterias housing or anything. In a world of highly competitive recruiting what do you think is going to happen if you only allocated the money for upkeep and not improvements and expansion?

Last edited:
I'm 100% in agreement about cancelling the season, but you really think cancelling non-conference games is half assing it? The non-conference portion of the season is half assed to pave the way for the conference season. I see this more as cutting the mostly irrelevant bullshit of the 95% of programs out there that don't schedule any meaning OOC games anyway.
I do yeah if they go on to play the rest of the year. They only play 12/13 games cutting out 4 is a huge chunk. I want more football not less. This is a money play pure and simple. This tells me they think they'll have to cut down on fans in the stands to a huge extent if not all together. So paying UNI to come into a half packed Kinnick or less financially doesn't seem worth it to them. I get it. Don't even blame them it's the shoes they are in. It just sucks.

Selfishly I wish they'd suck it up play them all and pack the stands. If BLM can have all these huge gettogethers and Trump can have his political rallies and churches can congregate then why can't we have sports? The reason for the packed crowds is irrelevant the results are the same. Leave it to the fans/consumers to decide if they want to go. Nobody is forcing them to. It might be a stupid risk to take but we all risk our lives every time we get out of bed in the morning one way or another. But that's just me...

The sooner society accepts you can't fit a square peg into a round hole the better. COVID-19 is going nowhere (unfortunately). Cancel the season and live to fight another day. Have a real shutdown, really enforce social distancing/policies and we can get our sports back safely.

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-10_11-31-41.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-10_11-31-41.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 3
You put a new roof on your house, is that not part of owning a home? It's fixed right? It still needs to be calculated in.
Look no further than the last 15-20 years in public high schools. The student body goes up and it's more than just adding a few teachers. I understand that Iowa may already have the facilities available for the current student body including scholarships. but that does not mean they're not constantly trying to upgrade, improve and maintain them. That cost is a break-even cost. It's staying static assuming no more and no less students. But that cost also being breakeven means no improvements to stadiums weight rooms classrooms cafeterias housing or anything. In a world of highly competitive recruiting what do you think is going to happen if you only allocated the money for upkeep and not improvements and expansion?
I know hospitals have a completely separate building fund/budget apart from the general operating budget that the general public will see on occasion, depending whether it's a public or private facility. I'm thinking schools operate with a similar dual-budget setup.

If the roof at the Pappjohn building goes bad and needs replaced, that cost is borne whether Iowa has an athletic program or not. And a public school that was designed for 1,000 kids that has enrollment swell to 1,500 is an example of an organization hitting an inflection point in marginal cost because it outgrew its intended size and thus requires massive capital costs to continue to operate. A 1% population delta for something the size of a Big Ten college does not present that issue because a school the size of Iowa is not so capital constrained that it can't absorb an additional 1% of population. And again, you are talking about weight rooms, cafeterias and crap. That is a separate cost of athletics that has nothing to do with the cost of discharging a scholarship. Yes, an athletic department will have a training table. Yes, it will have its own gym. Yes, it will have its own "test bank" where the jocks can go get help on their homework. That crap is all completely separate and distinct from the cost of the so-called "educational benefit." The cost of that is almost $0. Adding one more student to the Rocks for Jocks class costs almost nothing. That is the point here.

I know hospitals have a completely separate building fund/budget apart from the general operating budget that the general public will see on occasion, depending whether it's a public or private facility. I'm thinking schools operate with a similar dual-budget setup.

This is exactly correct. Each department has a budget. The professors and educators have a budget. If they realize that they need an assembly hall that can seat 20,000 and can justify the expense especially as it pertains to cost/return, they put in for it through whoever manages their department.
So the addition of professors needed for 400 extra kids would go through that department. The food service would put in for their department and so on and so forth.
The point I was making to ok4p about a house needing a roof is that either you can see it's going to need a roof and start saving for it in your bucket, or you can pay no attention to it and hopefully have the money when it does or you will have to take out a loan and budget that in then. What he is saying is it's already built, what I am saying is but it's going to require future upkeep and improvements. Lots of people have been saying they think Carver Hawkeye needs updated, well if we didn't have basketball or basketball players on scholarships, it wouldn't need to be now would it? So that update goes against the athletic departments budget. As does offering a scholarship, because it affects the budgets of the food service department, the housing department, the teaching department and someone has to fix and clean up after the additional people, so the maintenance department. However the department that offered the scholarship be it athletic or an academic scholarship, that department is the sole department for budgeting said scholarships in. Like someone else said granted that money is just going to the register's office but it was deducted from what department gave the scholarship then paid to the register's office then divided up again amongst all the other departments to cover the cost of that student.

First sentence is an absolute lie. If health and safety was the top priority, they would just shut it down right now. Hell, they would have never tried to restart.

Latest posts