Social Issue/Political Discussion Relating to Iowa Football

If B1G goes to 10 games, Iowa would need another crossover. It already has OSU, PSU and MSU on the original schedule. So that leaves Michigan, Indiana, Maryland or Rutgers.

That means Iowa would be replacing short trips to Iowa City by ISU, UNI or NIU with a team coming from another time zone. I realize it's a conference-wide decision, and would keep Ohio St. from having to go to Oregon, Penn State going to Va Tech, Indiana going to UConn, Purdue going to Boston College, etc., but it doesn't benefit the Hawkeyes.

In addition to that who else can see Iowa vs. Wisconsin opening day? But I can all but guarantee that there's a snowballs chance in hell we see "the game", PSU vs. OSU, or PSU vs. Michigan week one. I can't wait to see how these schedules pan out.

Covid or not, the way things are headed I almost hope they cancel the season simply to avoid a shit show. Assuming all conferences go without a non-conference schedule how do you regulate the amount of regular season games played when it seems there is a range from 8-10 game conference schedules. And then what do you do with programs that have no conference affiliation? Talk about an argument for an asterisk in the record books this season,if played could be disastrous in more than one way.

And throw on top of that teams like OSU who may have no choice but to move back the start of their preseason getting thrown directly into conference play. Can't wait to see who they'll be fortunately to draw week 1. I definitely expect a non-bias schedule in terms of who's playing who the first week or two (heavy sarcasm).

The sooner society accepts you can't fit a square peg into a round hole the better. COVID-19 is going nowhere (unfortunately). Cancel the season and live to fight another day. Have a real shutdown, really enforce social distancing/policies and we can get our sports back safely.
This. I don’t want to watch a clusterfuck of a neutered season anyway.

Nothing’s gonna be played till we get The Shot anyway. Social distancing, masks, or not. Ain’t happenin. The vaccine or a rock solid treatment regimen is the only thing that will get us moving again.

This. I don’t want to watch a clusterfuck of a neutered season anyway.

Nothing’s gonna be played till we get The Shot anyway. Social distancing, masks, or not. Ain’t happenin. The vaccine or a rock solid treatment regimen is the only thing that will get us moving again.

Japan is sitting on like 20k cases (but they don't waste tests on people who ain't likely to die from The Germ) and they 86ed the Olympics for a year. Between all levels of government, they estimated $25 billion sunk on facilities construction, train and airport upgrades, etc. They tore down a historically significant fish market called Tsukiji to build a stadium. If they 86ed the Olympics, I don't know how any reasonable adult can conclude that there is any way we can run college football in the US. That country ain't run by a bunch of pearl clutching lawyers, either.

If B1G goes to 10 games, Iowa would need another crossover. It already has OSU, PSU and MSU on the original schedule. So that leaves Michigan, Indiana, Maryland or Rutgers.

That means Iowa would be replacing short trips to Iowa City by ISU, UNI or NIU with a team coming from another time zone. I realize it's a conference-wide decision, and would keep Ohio St. from having to go to Oregon, Penn State going to Va Tech, Indiana going to UConn, Purdue going to Boston College, etc., but it doesn't benefit the Hawkeyes.

Hopefully its Rutgers.

Getting past the downside of not playing UNI or Iowa State the bigger issue is how does college football survive a complete shutdown? With the considerable salaries and scholarship costs combined with other costs does any school have the kind of reserves to go a year with no income? Really devastating to the UNIs of the world

Getting past the downside of not playing UNI or Iowa State the bigger issue is how does college football survive a complete shutdown? With the considerable salaries and scholarship costs combined with other costs does any school have the kind of reserves to go a year with no income? Really devastating to the UNIs of the world

The "cost" of a scholarship is almost $0. The salaries will get slashed. The schools will raise a litany of contract defenses and no one making a few million bucks a year is going to have the audacity to sue a school. That would be career suicide.

But make no mistake, the Non P5 and FCS programs will be thrown into dire straits by this. Some of them won't make it. Hell, some of the schools are going to collapse. There is no way in hell we get to the other side of The Germ and still have 4 directional schools in Illinois or all of those state funded MAC schools in Ohio and Michigan. Absolutely no way. There are what, a few dozen religiously founded schools dotting the Iowa landscape? Places like Wartburg, Cornell, Graceland, Luther, etc. -- there is no way in hell that all of those schools get through this. Just no way. The problem is it is really hard to consolidate the remote colleges because you can't really recognize any cost savings unless you close one of the campuses.

It will be interesting to see how all of those college professors who claim they are taking "below market" wages do when they get thrown into the real world. It is going to be U-G-L-Y.

If all conferences go to conference only schedules, whee does that leave Notre Dame?

It would be funny if they couldn’t play anybody.

I'm sure they Sisters of St Mercy would be willing to give them a game. Unfortunately, head mother came down with COVID so no dice there as well.

I'll bet they will keep their ACC games. (Hint: They'll become an honorary "member" for the year).

I heard the governor of NY wouldn't let NASCAR in to run at Watkins Glen. If he wouldn't let NASCAR in, which has run for 2 months without a single transmission of The Germ, then there is no way in hell he is going to let 'Cuse play and all of that travel to occur. Notre Dame could pick up 'Cuse's schedule and keep their game with Clemson.

Latest posts