So what is going to take to win at Iowa

The first thing that comes to mind is recruit some top players on a consistent basis. Really the only great recruiter we have had was Raveling. Miller did a good job of recruiting the JCs but that was a different era. Lute really never recruited great players except Lester which turned out to be the difference along with the fact that Olsen was a great coach and knew how to play with the players he had. Davis was a decent coach who got a few "good" players but really never did much after the Raveling group was gone
McCaffrey has pretty much proven that he is not a good recruiter and that goes for his staff who are still all with him and not coaching their own program which says a lot
So how can it happen? You have to get lucky with a player or two like Olsen with Lester and then you have to really do a good coaching job with the players you have and start winning and hope that helps open up recruiting. I don't like to be pessimistic but I think that's not likely with this coaching staff Hope i am wrong I think this year will tell

Back to the OP's original question: BALANCE will also get you NCAA bound most years. If I'm not mistaken there are nearly 350 Div. 1 men's bb teams. Teams w/out bona fide [sp?] super-stars, with a top 30-60 offense AND defense consistently qualify for the postseason. Needless to say, a top 5 or 10 in either does the trick too [UCLA] last year- #1 in offensive ppg. Check Gonzaga's stats nation-wide in both off. and "d". It will scare you.
Also, if you are a team that can make 9 or more "3's" per game, you will have a good year!

I wouldn’t say Fran can’t recruit. He’s shown the ability to land some pretty good players from out of state and lock down the majority of the instate talent. He certainly had his recruiting failures which have been well documented around here. (I don’t care for a huge discussion here we’ve been there before)

Last year to me was not a talent issue, it was bad roster construction, poor team chemistry, and bad coaching issue.

In order for Iowa to have success we first must find a way to consistently make the dance. If we can do that hopefully we can start landing some of these bigger recruits. With some decent players coming in from out of state and when the instate recruiting is fruitful we should be able to build a team that can compete for a B1G title and make a solid NCAA run.

Is Fran the guy to do that? I’m not sure, it’s looking more unlikely by the day, but if you would have asked that after 3 strait dances and Tyler Cook coming in, our mindset would have been different. He’s gotta get this thing back on track in a hurry or it will be time to move on.
I also saw a disturbing amount of indifference on the court on the part of several players. Not hustling after mistakes, lack of willingness to hunker down on defense, and a lot of walking and staring at the ceiling. Not what I've come to expect from my Hawkeyes.

It's one thing when anonymous meaningless posters like you and I notice lack of effort.

It's another thing when Bobby Hansen notices it.

There a name that carries some weight around here. Effort was a huge part of his game. He has the distinction of playing on an NCAA final four team and and NBA championship team. When someone of his pedigree is beside himself on the air it is not only sad, but should resonate a bit with anyone associated with Iowa Basketball. I don't care if they did play Purdue on Chris Street day. If that's the best effort they can give when honoring a legend who stood for effort then appropriate questioned do need to be asked.

People like Dochterman were asking Fran tough questions about his record and whether it should put his job status on notice. I wonder what would have happened if someone dared to ask him a question about the team's effort.

Ok, I will bread down the defense more.

Last year I think our defensive issues were 3 fold.
1) PG, Jordan is never going to be a plus defender
2) Wing position, we had Wagner, Baer and Nunge playing the 3 way too often. None of them were able to defend the opposing wings
3) PF, our guys just didn't play D. I think our ball screen defense from out PF (Cook and Pemsl specifically) were the worst part of our defense. Lots of times the PG got a free run at the rim, because Cook and Pemsl didn't even make a half hearted attempt to stop the ball, leaving Jordan being hit by a screen, and nobody to stop the ball handler from getting right to the rim.

These 3 things should improve. Joe is a Wing, Dailey is a wing, Baer can be serviceable at the wing, so #2 should be solved. Cook and Pemsl are capable of playing D, they just didn't, I think we can fix #3 easily. #1 isn't going to change, but if our other players hedge and help better on screens, that should help overall.

While I did say right upfront on my other post that you ignored was the fact that I am NOT SAYING Iowa will be to 4 in the B1G. What I am saying is obviously the offense isn't an issue and listed that out, but out defense improving to just being average isn't that hard to do really. We can easily improve on 2 our our 3 glaring defensive issues, so I am just assuming that the coaches aren't dumb, they can see what others are seeing and hopefully address it.

Playing on a bum foot is tough to do. IF Bohannon's injury did hold him back a lot last year, and IF he's 100% this year, your #1 might actually be the most drastic improvement. Those are both ifs I don't know the answer to. But to follow on your post of "it's possible", it is possible.

I don't disagree, we were historically bad at D last year. I guess I just see it a bit differently. I mean Iowa played ok defense 2 years ago and we are talking basically all the same guys. We lost Peter Jok from that team and we became that much worse defensively? It didn't/doesn't make sense. Pete was a great offensive player, but wasn't a great defender, average at best really. Yet with Pete we had an Adjusted D KenPom rating of 123 (last year it was in the 240's).

I guess I just don't think it is a stretch to think we can get back to at least the 123 range (which isn't great) like 2 years ago. When defense becomes a focal point in the off season, I just don't see how they can't at least improve and get back to where they were 2 years ago.

And that will likely put Iowa somewhere in the 18-22 win range. You might as well get your pitchfork ready because that will put Iowa squarely on the NCAA tournament bubble. If Iowa doesn’t get in the tournament for the 3rd straight year some of you want Fran gone, regardless.......Just sayin.

To determine what it's going to take to win at Iowa, I think requires analysis of other programs that managed to break out of obscurity or once proud programs who languished for years to become good/great programs. To that end, here are some programs that did that over the last 25 or so years:

1. UConn. Between 1979 and 1990, they made exactly 0 NCAA tournaments. Jim Calhoun was hired in 1986 from Northeastern, with his first UConn team going 9-19. By his 4th year, 1990, he got them into the NCAAs as a #1 seed, reaching the Elite 8. They then made 20 tournaments in the next 26 years, with 6 Final Fours and 4 titles.

2. Gonzaga - Before 1999, no one had heard of Gonzaga. Dan Monson was hired in 1997 and by his 3rd year (1999), they were in the NCAA tournament as a #10 seed and made it all the way to the Elite 8. Then Mark Few was hired and in the next 20 years, they made 9 Sweet 16s, 3 Elite 8s, a Final Four and a Nat'l Title game.

3. Villanova - Between 1977 and 1984, they made 4 Elite 8s, a Final 4 and a Nat'l title. Then, for the next 20 years, they languished just above .500 overall. Jay Wright was hired in 2001, by his 3rd year he had them in the Sweet 16, and for the next 14 years he made 8 Sweet 16s, 3 Elite 8s, 3 Final 4s, and 2 Nat'l Titles.

4. Wichita State - Between 1985 and 2011, they made a grand total of 4 NCAA tournaments, with 3 of them being 1st round exits. In 2007, they hired Gregg Marshall and by his 5th season, they made the NCAAs and after that he's gotten them to 7 straight NCAA tournaments, 2 Sweet 16s and a Final 4.

5. Michigan - In a span of 15 seasons between 1995 and 2009, they did absolutely nothing. They made 3 NCAAs (their last in 1998 before 2009) and won a grand total of 1 game. John Beilein is hired in 2007 and by Year 2 is back in the NCAAs and by Year 6 is in the NCAA title game. All told, he's made 4 Sweet 16s, 3 Elite 8s, 2 Final 4s and 2 Nat'l Title games.

6. Wisconsin - Other than the crazy year in 2000 when they made the Final 4, Wisconsin basketball was an absolute doormat. From 1979 (modern day of NCAA tournament) until 2001, a span of 22 years, they made the NCAAs a grand total of 5 times. They hire Bo Ryan in 2001 and from Year 1 until his retirement, he made the NCAAs every year, with 7 Sweet 16s, 3 Elite 8s, 2 Final 4s, and 1 Nat'l Title game.

There is nothing to suggest that Iowa can't be like one of the above teams....regardless of what Jon might say in his podcasts. While college basketball might be a game of guards, it's really a game of coaches. The above 6 teams show that, with the right coach, a doormat program can move up to one of the elite programs....or the right coach can take a once good program that's stuck in the mud, and make them elite again.

If you look at the timeframe of the above programs, it's taken on avg 3 years for the right coach to get the program trending in the right direction. The problem with Fran is that, while things were trending within that timeframe, he wasn't able to sustain it within the season. How different would our program look right now if 13-14, 14-15, and 15-16 had been able to be sustained? We would have gotten better seeds which may have led to one or more Sweet 16s, which may have led to better recruits, and then you're off an running. In my mind, Fran had his opportunity and wasn't able to grab hold of it. That's why the extension made absolutely no sense on any level.

But for Jon to act as if we're stuck where we are because that's how things have gone for the last 25+ years is such defeatist, little-man syndrome. We can do better....plenty of other programs have shown that.

Building on momentum not only does the Iowa basketball program struggle with this, but the football program does as well.

Barring a rash of injuries, I think the basketball team will have a 5-7 win improvement this year. Let’s face it Fran isn’t going anywhere I just want him to build upon that. About every coach you mentioned in your post was allowed to hit the reset button at least once. Granted their resumes were stronger than Fran’s 8 years in, but we could look back at the 17-18 season as a reset button for Fran.

And that will likely put Iowa somewhere in the 18-22 win range. You might as well get your pitchfork ready because that will put Iowa squarely on the NCAA tournament bubble. If Iowa doesn’t get in the tournament for the 3rd straight year some of you want Fran gone, regardless.......Just sayin.

From what I read, MANY of the teams in the B1G 10 are inexperienced. Iowa will be one of the more experienced teams, though the infusion of very talented freshmen in the league is considerable. Give them one year for cchemistry and cohesion and they will be formidable opponents. If we don't make the dance this year, it's gonna be bleak for the future. Better get it done this year!!!

A better home court, with a better atmosphere with less seating. The whole thing is stale.But how do you bring the crowd with out the wins? Fran needs to win, period.

There’s often a bump in most sports as a result of building something new. That’s how you get interest before the wins. There is a new found energy and excitement that comes with something like that.

Now the key is building a basketball arena not an arena for everything else. Build it smaller and in a really good location for students as well as surrounding development of restaurants and bars. Seats must be on top of the court all the way around. When the arena is smaller that helps with atmosphere even in a down year or boring game. You put 7k in a 10k double decked arena vs 7k in a 16k bowl.... well that’s no contest for noise and environment (in a down situation).

What are we waiting for?

There’s often a bump in most sports as a result of building something new. That’s how you get interest before the wins. There is a new found energy and excitement that comes with something like that.

Now the key is building a basketball arena not an arena for everything else. Build it smaller and in a really good location for students as well as surrounding development of restaurants and bars. Seats must be on top of the court all the way around. When the arena is smaller that helps with atmosphere even in a down year or boring game. You put 7k in a 10k double decked arena vs 7k in a 16k bowl.... well that’s no contest for noise and environment (in a down situation).

What are we waiting for?
meh

What are we waiting for?
Tear down the Old Capital Mall. Build a 8-9K arena right there. Downtown. Basketball only. Dozens of restaurants/bars within a three block radius. Within walking distance for thousands of students. Keep the offices/practice facilities where they are. Make it a game night extravaganza. No one shops at that mall anymore anyway. They go out to Coral Ridge. You could still have volleyball, wrestling, concerts, etc. at Carver.

Can anyone figure out the parking solution?

Tear down the Old Capital Mall. Build a 8-9K arena right there. Downtown. Basketball only. Dozens of restaurants/bars within a three block radius. Within walking distance for thousands of students. Keep the offices/practice facilities where they are. Make it a game night extravaganza. No one shops at that mall anymore anyway. They go out to Coral Ridge. You could still have volleyball, wrestling, concerts, etc. at Carver.

I like it - the parking is the issue but someone can come up with a solution.

That mall was THE happening place in the early-to-mid 1980s. Last time I was in Iowa City, went inside and could swear I saw tumbleweeds blowing past..

Back in 1984, Diamond Dave's Taco Co. had a Monday night special: a PITCHER of mixed drinks (gin & tonic and one other) for $3.60. I am not even sure why ANYone thought that was a good idea! One night my roommates decided to partake after a rigorous library session before a mid-term. They called me at our place--not sure how either was able to 1) find sufficient coin for payphone and 2) operate said payphone--to "come on down". I assure you, it wasn't that cogent at the time! I should've taken a shovel with me...

Leadership...on the court...on the bench...from the AD

If you have all three...you have a good chance...

If you go 0-3 you finish 12-20...and wonder why you can't win more with some pretty decent talent

Brust was from out of state but point stil taken. That’s why I said Iowa needs to maintain a level of success (consistent tournaments) and start landing some quality out of state guys, then when the in state recruiting is strong (like it is right now) or like it was for UW with Dekker and Koenig, you make your noise. That’s how you can have success at a school like Iowa.

Yep, my bad I meant Zak Showalter, not Brust

I really think Garza can develop into a decent 3 point shooter (a la Kaminsky) which will really open up the floor. As a freshman he shot 35% from 3. That's pretty damn good for a 7 foot freshman

Brust was from Illinois. Did you confuse him with Josh Gasser, who was from Wisconsin? (Port Washington). Wisconsin had the foresight to redshirt Kaminsky and it paid off with back to back final fours. Ethan Happ redshirted and he may challenge for conference player of the year honors. They redshirted Uthoff and that ended up giving Jarrod an NBA shot.

One of our bigs is going to get fewer minutes than they anticipated and will essentially waste a year they could have spent redshirting. There are only so many minutes available. Time will tell who that person(s) will be.

Yep, sorry I confused Brust with Zak Showalter. But yeah Gasser was also from Wisconsin.

Kaminsky didn't actually redshirt. he thought they were going to but instead they played him like 7 minutes per game as a true freshman

Basketball, is the team sport in my opinion that is affected by chemistry. All sports must have chemistry to be good, but in basketball it is crucial. I think a coach that can motivate, teach and build chemistry has a shot here. Lute had it. Mr. Davis had it. Either one of them COULD have won a title here. It would have taken some fortunate bounces sure, but at Iowa its what you hope for..to have someone who gives us a chance. Im not sure Fran fits that mold, but, willing to see what the next 4-5 yrs will bring. Newsflash, he's not going anywhere unless he chooses to until the upcoming classes are graduated. You can take that to the bank.