So what did Fran say on Jim & Jim show last nite?

Bye the way we have been the laughing stock for the last couple years(sorry to say) I live in illini territory and most of them have laid off me cause they feel sorry for us...................Thats SO wrong....lol but point taken

And you know this because you have seen him play against the same competition that Kelly, Peterson, Payne, Tucker, Freeman, and Henderson have played against?

And just which ones would he be better than exactly?

I have never seen him play. But I've heard a lot about him in Iowa City. I've had some pretty knowledgeable people tell me that they feel he could contribute. Regardless, why would seeing him in the PTL confirm or deny anything. It's not like the PTL is an accurate measuring tool on whether a kid can make it in college. There is very little defense or structure within that league. Sure, it's better than your local pick up game at the FH. But that's not really saying that much.

Honestly, I have seen lots of heavily recruited players face competition that is comparable to what you see at the FH. So I'm not overly concerned about the the competition he has faced. I think you could get a better understanding of his game by watching him perform individual drills and workouts than by watching him in the "No Defense League".

This is simply another case where I'm going to trust FM to do what's best.

And you know this because you have seen him play against the same competition that Kelly, Peterson, Payne, Tucker, Freeman, and Henderson have played against?

And just which ones would he be better than exactly?

He would be better offensively than Peterson, Henderson, and Freeman out of those you list. The league I saw him play against featured former college players (most D2 and below) that were in thier mid 20's to early 30's. He was absolutely dominant. I'm not saying he is going to be all B10 (I wouldn't rule it out either). I am saying the Payne/Dre backcourt would be much more formidable than the Payne/Lick version.

He would be better offensively than Peterson, Henderson, and Freeman out of those you list. The league I saw him play against featured former college players (most D2 and below) that were in thier mid 20's to early 30's. He was absolutely dominant. I'm not saying he is going to be all B10 (I wouldn't rule it out either). I am saying the Payne/Dre backcourt would be much more formidable than the Payne/Lick version.

If that is the case, then he should be playing D1 basketball on scholarship, not as a walk-on. However, pulling up Little Lick as a point of comparison is pretty cheap. Might as well use me. That bar is just WAY TOO LOW. The other guys are more appropriate measurements. If he is better than those three, then he should be on the team. Heck, maybe he should be starting.

However, if he gets an open tryout and doesn't make the team, or gets on as a walkon and doesn't play, I also expect you to come on here and admit your mistake.

The reason I am saying we should see him in PTL is that you can get a sense of some of his skills against D-1 players. Sure there isn't much defense, but there isn't any defense in AAU and we use those games to judge high school kids against better competition than that they played against in High School. Particularly small school kids.

I think anybody and everybody on our team or coming in should play in the PTL,or AAU. and they probably do. So its not off ,to say we'll see how he does there, Now Archie you say wasnt shining last year in the PTL,maybe after a year of big Ten (practice) and playing against Gatens,Fuller ,Cole..so on will show improvement and can contribute this year,( not excited but optimistic) if not we'll see. Back to the topic, it's a shame that we lost time waiting for Brust to get his ego milked and leave us hanging late looking for a replacment, show's the class of our coach and the no class of Brust and his family.

Next year we are looking at a 10-15 win season, so it makes sense to save schollys for guys that are going to make a difference in 2011 and 2012 and beyond. Fran knows what he is doing and I fully expect the hawks to be back in the big dance in 2012. No postseason next year, NIT in 2011 and Big dance in 2012 & for many years to come. Have patience and Go HAWKS!

Next year is 2011. Are we going to have no postseason and an NIT berth the same year? That would be amazing.

Bye the way we have been the laughing stock for the last couple years(sorry to say) I live in illini territory and most of them have laid off me cause they feel sorry for us...................Thats SO wrong....lol but point taken

That, and they know they'll get it back during football season x10

Oh ya they don't take it to far.........you know they are a basketball school dont ya? and the fact they usually have a tough time in Caver!!

Next year is 2011. Are we going to have no postseason and an NIT berth the same year? That would be amazing.

Next year is the 2010-2011 season. No postseason. The following year is 2011-2012- NIT berth. Year 3 for MCaff is 2012-2013 and we make the NCAA. I thought you knew that Basketball starts in November of the current year and ends with a new year. Each bball season has two years listed. Get a clue Jumper 5.

If that is the case, then he should be playing D1 basketball on scholarship, not as a walk-on. However, pulling up Little Lick as a point of comparison is pretty cheap. Might as well use me. That bar is just WAY TOO LOW. The other guys are more appropriate measurements. If he is better than those three, then he should be on the team. Heck, maybe he should be starting.

However, if he gets an open tryout and doesn't make the team, or gets on as a walkon and doesn't play, I also expect you to come on here and admit your mistake.

The reason I am saying we should see him in PTL is that you can get a sense of some of his skills against D-1 players. Sure there isn't much defense, but there isn't any defense in AAU and we use those games to judge high school kids against better competition than that they played against in High School. Particularly small school kids.

If the kid played against NBA stars a few years ago in AAU and did okay then I would assume he has some talent. I have no inside knowledge of this person, but to write him off is wrong.

I do agree that the PTL could help tell you how good he is against some better competition. The defense in AAU is subject to the players and team. Most of AAU defense probably isn't too great. I've only been to a couple tournaments.

If you can't get a player to make a difference then bank the scholarships, but don't get down on a walk-on with some potential. If a walk-on doesn't play for the team that shouldn't warrant an apoligy from anyone.

Next year is the 2010-2011 season. No postseason. The following year is 2011-2012- NIT berth. Year 3 for MCaff is 2012-2013 and we make the NCAA. I thought you knew that Basketball starts in November of the current year and ends with a new year. Each bball season has two years listed. Get a clue Jumper 5.

You said next season (2010-2011), we wouldn't make the postseason. You then said we would make the NIT in 2011. The 2011 NIT is played for the 2010-2011 season. Then you said we would make the 2012 NCAA. The 2012 NCAA tournament is for the 2011-2012 tournament. If you think you didn't word it very poorly, you're the one that needs to get a clue.

Last edited:
Everything that I read regarding his time in UNC-Greensboro is that he had many restrictions and challenges that are not typical for a division 1 program. Very limited resources.

I've read similar things. I think UNC-G requires a certain percentage of the players must be from in-state, plus a few other things that make it even more difficult to recruit there.

You said next season (2010-2011), we wouldn't make the postseason. You then said we would make the NIT in 2011. The 2011 NIT is played for the 2010-2011 season. Then you said we would make the 2012 NCAA. The 2012 NCAA tournament is for the 2011-2012 tournament. If you think you didn't word it very poorly, you're the one that needs to get a clue.

I understood what he meant and I suspect most everybody else did too.

If the kid played against NBA stars a few years ago in AAU and did okay then I would assume he has some talent. I have no inside knowledge of this person, but to write him off is wrong.

If you can't get a player to make a difference:cool::cool: then bank the scholarships, but don't get down on a walk-on with some potential. If a walk-on doesn't play for the team that shouldn't warrant an apoligy from anyone.

I am not writing him off. I just keep seeing people post about him here from one article in the local rag that didn't even indicate that FM was interested. It was the same as the Steve Forbes PR campaign perpetrated by Jon and his buddy. This isn't about the player, it is about people running with a story without the story having corroboration.

As fas as saying someone shouldn't apologize if a walkon doesn't play, I agree a unless you come here and say that walk on is better then Mike Henderson, Jeff Peterson, and Tony Freeman. When you say stuff like that you are no longer talking about a walk on. You are putting pretty high expectations on a kid.

I am not writing him off. I just keep seeing people post about him here from one article in the local rag that didn't even indicate that FM was interested. It was the same as the Steve Forbes PR campaign perpetrated by Jon and his buddy. This isn't about the player, it is about people running with a story without the story having corroboration.

As fas as saying someone shouldn't apologize if a walkon doesn't play, I agree a unless you come here and say that walk on is better then Mike Henderson, Jeff Peterson, and Tony Freeman. When you say stuff like that you are no longer talking about a walk on. You are putting pretty high expectations on a kid.

I hear what your saying. People like to get excited about the smallest things. I'm very optimistic with most things in life, but not with most walk-ons. Even though we have had success with them in the past.

I really could care less what you want to believe. You keep saying you want to see him play in the prime time league before you pass judgement. I'm saying I've seen him play a half dozen times in a league thats just one step down from the the prime time league and he dominated. He's got more offensive skills than any point guard we have had since Andre Woolridge. Does that mean he's going to get serious run as a hawk? I don't know. Does that mean Fran wants him on the team? I don't know. Does that mean he want's to play on the team, or has the grades to do so? I don't know.

I do know that if he comes on board as a walk on he's immediately in contention to be the best PG we have on the roster.

There are lots talented kids out there that don't get D1 offers. Some don't have the grades. Some had other prioritites in HS. Some get overlooked because they are 5-8. I have absolutely zero inside information on this kid, his background, or his personal makeup. What I do know is seeing him play in the PT leage isn't going to tell you or anyone else anything more than those of us that have seen him play already know, and that his he has some serious game.

I got you Duff. And I don't have any reason to doubt you. You are going out on a limb and making statements that, if they pan out, will deserve huge props. I mean now you are talking Andre Woolridge, which puts this kid above Horner and Oliver. If that is the case, and he has the grades to play, we should all expect Iowa to be in the post season this year. You would in essance be the God of this board and I will gladly acknowledge it.

If, however, none of this pans out, then I still would expect you to come here and acknowledge your hyperbole. All I am saying is that if he pans out I am going to give you the props you deserve, are you willing to eat the appropriate crow if he doesn't?

Again, as far as the PTL is concerned, his participation would indicate 1) Whether he might actually be on the radar as a walk on, and 2) How his skills (handles, athleticism, shot, etc.) match up next to D 1 athletes. Also, with only four teams in the league this year, the overall level of competition should be way higher than in years past.

Last edited:

Latest posts