So what about this site and local news sporting coverage?

EstronHawkKing

Iowa Hawkeye sports is over for now, what do fans on this site talk about for the next 5 1/2 months until football starts? No spring Iowa football?

Also, what about local news stations and their sports casts, they have nothing to cover now. All pro sports are being stopped, no college sports, high school will soon follow. Des Moines schools just cancelled school for at least 17 days. If you are a local sports caster, what do you cover now?

Last edited:
Read a book, learn a new skill like archery, spend more time with family and friends, there is still TV , listen to music,

On this site I could talk past and future football a lot but I doubt most people will.

A deep look at what each 2020 Iowa football opponent is losing on their teams and maybe the replacements. Same self scouting of Iowa.

Iowa Hawkeye sports is over for now, what do fans on this site talk about for the next 5 1/2 months until football starts?

Also, what about local news stations and their sports casts, they have nothing to cover now. All pro sports are being stopped, no college sports, high school will soon follow. Des Moines schools just cancelled school for at least 17 days.
Omaha schools are cancelling too.

Read a book, learn a new skill like archery, spend more time with family and friends, there is still TV , listen to music,

On this site I could talk past and future football a lot but I doubt most people will.

A deep look at what each 2020 Iowa football opponent is losing on their teams and maybe the replacements. Same self scouting of Iowa.
Drink more:D:D

If there's nothing on this site to keep me busy, I'm just gunna have to go out into crowds of people.

I've spent some of the evening canceling sports subscriptions and editing my timelines. No reason to pay for sports stuff for a month or two to read/watch their (really bad) political and virus takes.

The last time I remember cancellations of this magnitude was when President Kennedy was assassinated in 1963. Iowa was scheduled to play Notre Dame the weekend following the assassination. The game didn't get made up until 1968. It is the last time Iowa played Notre Dame. Everything stopped and since cable TV didn't exist we had 24 by 7 coverage by the three networks in existence.

In the mid 50's the big virus concern was polio. I do not recall exactly how public health handled cases, but I do remember the effort to get young people vaccinated as soon as the vaccine was available. I know those affected were quarantined and it was devastating if you contracted it. Some of the audience here might remember Sabin on Sundays or being bused to a vaccination site.

I'm not going to second guess the professional public health officials concerns about what actions are being taken, They are hoping to eliminate a huge spike in cases and thereby flatten out the curve as to not overwhelm the health care facilities. I am critical of the media organizations. Instead of calming fears they panicked people's fears needlessly. I went to Sam's Club today and all the the bottled water, toilet paper, paper towels and sanitary wipes were gone. It's been that way for days.

I've been concerned about the health consequences of illegal immigration for quite some time. Right now I am about 10 miles from the border with Mexico. The Border Patrol sees to it that those caught are given a medical check. Those arrested come from the continents of Africa, Asia, Europe and South America. Most of the North and South Americans get vaccinated so they do not present the threat that those from China, India and Southeast Asia.

My son is a doctor of Epidemiology and advised my wife and I to just follow the precautions for avoiding the virus and go on with our lives.

What will ESPN and Fox Sports air? They will have no college or pro games and scores to report on. The Big 10 Network will just replay old games.

Just cruised thru ESPN and they were showing Practice session #1 of some kind of grand prix race. No shit. What are the local sports talk radio guys going to talk about?

Iowa Hawkeye sports is over for now, what do fans on this site talk about for the next 5 1/2 months until football starts? No spring Iowa football?

Also, what about local news stations and their sports casts, they have nothing to cover now. All pro sports are being stopped, no college sports, high school will soon follow. Des Moines schools just cancelled school for at least 17 days. If you are a local sports caster, what do you cover now?

Pray without ceasing....

Just cruised thru ESPN and they were showing Practice session #1 of some kind of grand prix race. No shit. What are the local sports talk radio guys going to talk about?
I get that sports channel called STADIUM. They just showed some strong man competition and now ultimate fighting is on. Not sure if they are past events they are re-airing? I spend a large majority of my tv time watching sports, now there is none and may be like this for months. Guess I'll watch movies, and re-runs like Home Improvement, MASH, Last Man Standing, Family Ties ect....

This is going to be really weird and hard to get use to not having sports to watch for a bit.

The thing about this is that many more people have it or had it without knowing. Those people haven't been tested for the virus, and the vast majority of them never went to the doctor because the symptoms were so mild (80% experience mild symptoms similar to the common cold), not to mention those that were scared of being quarantined. These people are not factored into the death rate. The same reality applies to the seasonal flu. Most people that get the flu do not get tested for the flu because they never go to the doctor.

As more and more cases of the corona appear after testing, the more the death rate drops. That statistic will never be close to accurate because the vast majority of those infected will not see a doc to get tested. This is simply the reality. The death rate for the flu is also significantly lower than reported due to these common sense reasons. It's really not that difficult to understand when you calm the F down and look at it objectively and rationally. Please stop feeding into the hysteria.

Maybe that's the silver lining here? All the sports argument shows will be dead so when football starts back up in August, it will just be sports news. Maybe ESPN will even be watchable again?

Latest posts