How long until Beth takes decisive action

The point remains the same, TD never came close to having a roster that he inherited in 86-87. Yeah, it was fun to see TD make guys like Kent McCausland into serviceable B1G players, but for every Ryan Bowen, it felt like we were getting five Ryan Luershman.

Even though the Alford era didn’t work…I don’t feel guilty for wanting TD out.
You should.

Lohaus-Olson recruits
Eddie-brief NBA career.
BJ-very good NBA career NBA career.
Roy-brief NBA career.
Bill Jones-brief NBA career.
Kevin Gamble-good NBA career.
Leslie Jepsen-brief NBA career.
Gerry Wright-joined the Air Force after college.
Kent Hill-think he went the NFL route, albeit briefly

Who else? You're into the walk ons at 14. Don't think the Vanilla Gorilla ever played in the NBA.

You know, George never recruited like that at Washington State or USC. But he caught lightning in a bottle for Iowa.

Then we hired a coach the knew what to do with all that talent, and he did a lot with those guys.
First off, you are twisting things. I said "pro ball". That consists of both the NBA & overseas. Paid to play basketball after college. And you listing a player had a brief career isn't relevant. You said Tom Davis recruited just as well. This is an exercise in telling you that you are wrong.

Marble - 1st rd NBA draft
Armstrong - 1st rd NBA draft
Gamble - 3rd rd NBA draft
Lohaus - technically recruited by Olson. Held by Raveling.
Moe - 2nd rd NBA draft
Horton - 2nd rd NBA draft
Wright - 5th rd NBA draft
Lorenzen - played in France
Bill Jones - played for NJ Nets
Kent Hill - played in France
Jepsen - 2nd rd NBA draft
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure both Michael Reeves and Michael Morgan either played professionally or had a chance to. But they were both top recruits out of high school & could have played at most schools.

So this is 11. That's unprecedented. The bottom line is, Raveling was an absolute monster on the recruiting trail. Something Tom Davis was not. Davis got a handful of top players although many were either homegrown or from nearby Illinois. There was never a comparison between their recruiting abilities.

And you went on & on about Davis being a better coach. That wasn't the argument so that has nothing to do with this discussion.

First off, you are twisting things. I said "pro ball". That consists of both the NBA & overseas. Paid to play basketball after college. And you listing a player had a brief career isn't relevant. You said Tom Davis recruited just as well. This is an exercise in telling you that you are wrong.

Marble - 1st rd NBA draft
Armstrong - 1st rd NBA draft
Gamble - 3rd rd NBA draft
Lohaus - technically recruited by Olson. Held by Raveling.
Moe - 2nd rd NBA draft
Horton - 2nd rd NBA draft
Wright - 5th rd NBA draft
Lorenzen - played in France
Bill Jones - played for NJ Nets
Kent Hill - played in France
Jepsen - 2nd rd NBA draft
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure both Michael Reeves and Michael Morgan either played professionally or had a chance to. But they were both top recruits out of high school & could have played at most schools.

So this is 11. That's unprecedented. The bottom line is, Raveling was an absolute monster on the recruiting trail. Something Tom Davis was not. Davis got a handful of top players although many were either homegrown or from nearby Illinois. There was never a comparison between their recruiting abilities.

And you went on & on about Davis being a better coach. That wasn't the argument so that has nothing to do with this discussion.
Any pro ball-interesting vague question. Or George struck gold a couple of years. George never recruited at Washington St. or USC nearly as well as his two classes at Iowa. Having only been at Iowa 3 years the luck element gains probability when compared with the far more numerous seasons in which his recruiting was not nearly at the level of his two seasons at Iowa.

George was a great recruiter. He brought in some very top-drawer talent but was unable to do anything with it. George even had a losing record having inherited a very deep and talented team from Lute's last Sweet 16 run. The coach that wins gets the credit, the recruiter gets a thanks.

I don't think I said Dr. Davis recruited as well as George but Dr. Davis did recruit very well over a much longer period of time.

Would the program be the same? If we're theorizing, Dr. Davis goes 4-6 more years. That's at least the second round and quite possibly another Sweet 16. You get the Alfords and Lickliters of the world by failing to appreciate what you have and being jealous of what you lack. Surely Iowa fans should grasp this concept if no other.​

Any pro ball-interesting vague question. Or George struck gold a couple of years. George never recruited at Washington St. or USC nearly as well as his two classes at Iowa. Having only been at Iowa 3 years the luck element gains probability when compared with the far more numerous seasons in which his recruiting was not nearly at the level of his two seasons at Iowa.

George was a great recruiter. He brought in some very top-drawer talent but was unable to do anything with it. George even had a losing record having inherited a very deep and talented team from Lute's last Sweet 16 run. The coach that wins gets the credit, the recruiter gets a thanks.

I don't think I said Dr. Davis recruited as well as George but Dr. Davis did recruit very well over a much longer period of time.

Would the program be the same? If we're theorizing, Dr. Davis goes 4-6 more years. That's at least the second round and quite possibly another Sweet 16. You get the Alfords and Lickliters of the world by failing to appreciate what you have and being jealous of what you lack. Surely Iowa fans should grasp this concept if no other.​
Raveling's relationship with Sonny Vaccoro of Nike didn't hurt when landing those studs in his Iowa recruiting classes.

It didn't hurt John Thompson at Georgetown either.

Raveling's relationship with Sonny Vaccoro of Nike didn't hurt when landing those studs in his Iowa recruiting classes.

It didn't hurt John Thompson at Georgetown either.
I believe Raveling said getting recruits on campus was the hardest part, once he got them to visit it was easy to sell.

I believe Raveling said getting recruits on campus was the hardest part, once he got them to visit it was easy to sell.
Yeah.. Recruiting back then was a different world entirely than now. The main things recruits looked for back then was just a trust worthy coach good teammates and raucous fan bases. That took going on campus visits cause games weren't on tv nearly as much and no internet obviously.

Again, at Iowa...Raveling was a significantly better recruiter than Davis. Coaching isn't relevant because that wasn't the statement you made that I responded to. Raveling got droves of great kids to visit & a heavy percentage to sign. That's it. That's the point. Quit widening the argument to other things. The recruits he brought to Iowa gave us a 3-yr run of basketball that is unparalleled in school history.

Again, at Iowa...Raveling was a significantly better recruiter than Davis. Coaching isn't relevant because that wasn't the statement you made that I responded to. Raveling got droves of great kids to visit & a heavy percentage to sign. That's it. That's the point. Quit widening the argument to other things. The recruits he brought to Iowa gave us a 3-yr run of basketball that is unparalleled in school history.
I think you are just arguing with yourself now.

He may have said that about Iowa, but famously said that about his previous stop at Pullman Washington (which if anything is even more out in the middle of nowhere than Iowa City) He claimed that flying recruits into campus after sunset, when it was too dark to notice how rural the setting was, solved the problem.

Run would have been even better, and longer, if Thompson doesn't flunk out and Michael Ingram and Rodell Davis don't destroy their knees. Bullard also battled knee problems. Davis was considered a more athletic Kevin Gamble while Ingram was the rim protecting yan of Eddie Horton's yin. Thompson was on pace to be the greatest offensive player ever at Iowa. EVER.

Those were all Davis recruits. Thompson would have been a junior/senior on the 1991 and 92 teams that made the NCAA second round. 1993 team is Elite Eight material at minimum if Street accident doesn't happen. Raveling's recruits were long gone by then.

Latest posts